Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Cult & Forgotten TV Shows Before 2000 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/13168-cult-forgotten-tv-shows-before-2000-a.html)

gag 4th October 2015 11:02 AM

Cult & Forgotten TV Shows Before 2000

2 Attachment(s)
I thought i do a thread on old tv shows and see what people come up with shows that we forgotten about or what was a one of show that you think deserves to be bought and kept in your collection.

Im talking about mainly stuff of forgotten gems or just a one of series or made for tv shown once never to be seen again

Im not talking about tv shows that was big and we still remember like
A team.
Only fools and horses

We all remember boys from the blackstuff things like this because it had a impact was a one of series and not sure if it was shown agian

Or anyone remember scully about the lad who heroe was Kevin Keagan?

Or kids tv show chocky

Anyone remember lynda la plants Civvies i love to get hold of this but not sure if available on dvd

Or how about common as muck about the bin men

Lol i know this isnt something we want to remember but can anyone remember itv soap Albion Market?

Or detective series shoestring

Or scifi tripods

But what really made me think about all this is because of the 2 dvd i come across earlier this year see pics

Whats youre views and opinions or what do you remember that most people youre age cant and youre made to feel as youre making it up.?

hivemind 4th October 2015 11:38 AM

I'll have to say a 1989 BBC drama production starring Diana Rigg called 'Mother Love'. It was adapted by Andrew Davies (The BBC's House of Cards Trilogy) from Domini Taylor's (Roger Longrigg's) novel concerning a mother's obsessive love for her son, vengeful hatred of his father, her ex-husband, and the effect on her daughter-in-law and grandchildren. The drama has never been released on BBC VHS or DVD in the past. Diana Rigg is absolutely malevolent in the role,and the drama became a cult classic overtime. I know that clips of the drama have surfaced in the past on You Tube, but since then it's disappeared altogether. Why the BBC didn't release it on DVD ill never know? It did get repeated on UK Gold back in the mid to late 1990's, but since then, nothing.

iank 4th October 2015 09:18 PM

Oh bloody hell, I think that One Summer is something I saw as a kid and has haunted me for thirty years! I may have to pick that up, thanks for that! :thankingyou:

Yes, I remember Chocky. And Children of the Dog Star (mid 80s NZ sci-fi show). The 80s Little Vampire, of course, which I still absolutely adore. For a long time (up to the late 00s) all I had of that was the first book it was based on, that actually has a cover featuring the TV show actors. That was the only proof I had of the thing's existence, even in the early 00s I couldn't even find it on the net, not even on Michael Gough career biographies when I was sure he was in it!

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2015 10:03 PM

Does anyone remember the rabies drama The Mad Death from 1983?

Truly terrifying!

hivemind 4th October 2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 463558)

Truly terrifying!

Never had a DVD release or VHS release in the UK. I think Warner's in Holland released a specially edited VHS release for the rental market. Shame the BFI don't badger the BBC for a BFI DVD release. I would love to see it again.

iank 4th October 2015 10:46 PM

If it's the one I'm thinking of, yes I do! I mainly remember the ending, with the dog barking through the car window. Shame it's not out, I wouldn't mind seeing that again either!

hivemind 5th October 2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 463511)
Anyone remember lynda la plants Civvies i love to get hold of this but not sure if available on dvd

Yep! It's avilable on DVD.

Lynda La Plante's Civvies [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Jason Isaacs, Peter O'Toole, Elizabeth Rider, Lennie James, Bobby Coombes, Caleb Lloyd: DVD & Blu-ray

gag 5th October 2015 12:39 AM

Thanks that be on next to buy list.
Amount of times ive googled it to buy and only release i come across is a vcr.

Demoncrat 5th October 2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 463558)

Truly terrifying!

Jimmy Logan playing a MP, now that was terrifying haha, now could I remember the title of this? Cheers!!!

Anyone remember The Nightmare Man? Or since you can buy that... King Of The Ghetto starring Tim Roth? both were BBC prods etc...

iank 5th October 2015 09:07 PM

The Nightmare Man is pretty good. I don't "remember it" because I never saw it as a kid, but I was persuaded to buy it a few years back by its reputation and the fact that it was adapted by Robert Holmes and directed by Douglas Camfield (classic Who legends both). Enjoyed it.

hivemind 9th October 2015 10:30 PM

Just thought of another BBC drama production that I can remember watching back in 1998. It was called Heaven and Earth starring Neil Pearson from the cop drama series Between the Lines. As far as I can remember the story centred around a religious community and the main character, played Pearson, going to this religious community as a retreat to get away from the families past troubles. However, as time passes and Richard's influence with the community grows, his plans change. After Richard apparently has a vision from God he is elected leader when Isaac dies. From then on Richard's power grows and his fanatical domination of the community knows no bounds and he starts to think of himself as God. He becomes highly evil and almost demonic. I can't remember what happend towards the end of the story, but it was fairly well acted and certainly created some great atmosphere as the story developed.

SharonLynette 9th October 2015 11:08 PM

There was a fantastic documentary series a good number of years back (possibly 80s) produced by the BBC, repeated possibly a decade ago called The RKO story, which was, quite obviously about RKO. It was such a wonderful series, and happened a lot of interviews with stars of the golden era of Hollywood many of whom are now dead. I think it was 4 parts in total, I found it oddly relaxing as well as interesting. I'd love to see this released but I doubt it ever will be.

Other than that Jonny Briggs I'd love to see, I know this was rather popular at the time. I usually create an accurate reproduction of the theme tune (which is a famous piece in its own right but I can't blooming remember the name) using only my mouth and the usual suspects, vocal chords, cheeks, etc. when a work colleague, or anyone, is about to get into trouble. Usually followed by "Our Ritas gonna kill us" I can't even remember if that is uttered but it's stuck in my head

That and Geordie Racer which was for Look and Read possibly? I'd love to see on dvd. There something called Look and Read wasn't there? or am I just very tired?

Now this is another well known but never released as far as I can tell, one of my favourite shows as a kid, Pigeon Street, I just loved it.

Susan Foreman 10th October 2015 06:58 AM

"This 12-disc set includes 60 episodes, featuring classics from The Sweeney, Upstairs Downstairs and The Avengers - as well as incredible rarities from the Associated Rediffusion archive: No Hiding Place, Mystery Bag, Crane and Our Man at St. Mark’s.

Since the summer of 1955, the ITV network has entertained the nation with some of the most memorable programming ever created for British television. This collection celebrates those six decades with an outstanding, specially selected collection of superb dramas, hilarious comedies and thought-provoking documentaries – some of which haven't been seen since their original transmission.

With each disc themed to provide an "evening's entertainment", this dip into the archives provides a trip down Memory Lane as well as a timely reminder of some of the best television of the last sixty years.

A mixture of both classics and rarities (including some programmes thought lost forever), this set contains previously unreleased episodes of Crossroads, Rainbow, Tiswas, Coronation Street, World in Action, The Bill and Whicker's World – together with some exceptionally rare items from the Associated Rediffusion archive: No Hiding Place, Mystery Bag, Crane and Our Man at St. Mark's.

So spoil yourself – settle down for a great night in and join us for a journey through the decades!

DISC ONE

ITV Opening Night Preview | Thunderbirds: Trapped in the Sky | The Army Game: April Fool | Man About the House: While the Cat's Away | Robin of Sherwood: The Greatest Enemy | The Prisoner: Checkmate

DISC TWO

Pathfinders in Space: Convoy to the Moon | The Larkins: Frightful Nightful | Sunday Night at the London Palladium: 28/11/1965 | The World at War: It's a Lovely Day Tomorrow | Callan: Let's Kill Everybody

DISC THREE

Catweazle: The Sun in a Bottle | The Arthur Haynes Show: 08/12/1962 | The Avengers: The Winged Avenger | Public Eye: My Life's My Own | An Audience with Dame Edna

DISC FOUR

Crossroads: 26/10/1983 | On the Buses: The Strain | The Saint: The Contract | The Tommy Cooper Hour: 21/04/1974 | Auf Wiedershen Pet: The Alien

DISC FIVE

Rainbow: 26/12/1975 | Pipkins: Cowboys | Doctor in the House: What Seems To Be The Trouble? | The Power Game: The New Boy | 21

DISC SIX

Magpie: 26/11/1976 | Shut That Door! | Space 1999: Breakaway | No Hiding Place: A Bird to Watch the Marbles | The Sweeney: Tomorrow Man

DISC SEVEN

Tiswas: 30/08/1975 | Four Feather Falls: Horse Thieves | The Stanley Baxter Moving Picture Show | Gideon's Way: The Wall | Tales of the Unexpected: Royal Jelly

DISC EIGHT

The Adventures of Robin Hood: The Coming of Robin Hood | Nearest and Dearest: What Seems to be the Trouble? | Rising Damp: Black Magic | Mystery Bag: Lockhart Finds a Note | Upstairs Downstairs: Miss Forrest | Year Zero: The Silent Death of Cambodia

DISC NINE

Ace of Wands: Peacock Pie 1 | Coronation Street: 18/05/1964 | Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased): Could You Recognise the Man Again? | Crane: A Cargo of Cornflour | Soldier Soldier: Stormy Weather

DISC TEN

A Fine Romance: Series 2 episode 6 | World in Action: The Chart Busters | The Professionals: Blind Run | Inspector Morse: Driven to Distraction

DISC ELEVEN

George and Mildred: Moving On | Jason King: To Russia With... Panache | The Main Chance: The Best Legal System in the World | Justice: A Nice Straight-forward Treason | Strange World of Gurney Slade: Episode 1

DISC TWELVE

Our Man at St Mark's: The Facts of Life | The Bill: The Short Straw | Man at the Top: I'll Do the Dirty Work | Whicker's World Aboard The Orient Express | Armchair Theatre: Afternoon of a Nymph"

Network ON AIR > ITV 60