Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2015, 03:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godewind View Post
Brian Clemens' early 1970s videotaped (anthology) series Thriller, is right at the top of my list. Super atmospheric with those old wonderful ATV studio sets, I'd say far out-doing the BBC in the arts department. Caught it again about 20 years ago on VHS, after not having seen it for a long time, and then later on DVD it's still a terrific series with a brilliant cast of both British and American actors.
I too have the complete series.

I don't think there's a single duff episode.
Old 4th July 2015, 03:59 PM
Cultist in Training

Yup, the stories I suppose may be pulp but it's all so delicious. Especially the fantasy/horror related episodes of the (primarily) earlier series, I find irresistible. What's not to like there, spooky and eerie at times though obviously this worked better when you're younger. Today, I guess cozy might be the word for it when remembering the good old days here.

Old 4th July 2015, 04:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godewind View Post
Yup, the stories I suppose may be pulp but it's all so delicious. Especially the fantasy/horror related episodes of the (primarily) earlier series, I find irresistible. What's not to like there, spooky and eerie at times though obviously this worked better when you're younger. Today, I guess cozy might be the word for it when remembering the good old days here.

Some of them are actually quite disturbing such as A Place to Die.

One or two fall into the cozy bracket, i'll admit.
Old 4th July 2015, 06:21 PM
Active Cultist

Loved "The Flumps" as a child and now have a Chihuahua called "Pootle".
Old 5th July 2015, 08:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler. These two TV movies from the early 70s - and the subsequent short-lived full TV series called Kolchak - follow the exploits of dogged newspaper reporter Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin) who invariably seems to stumble on cases that veer into the supernatural. In The Night Stalker a real-life vampire is stalking Las Vegas, while in The Night Strangler Seattle is being stalked by a serial killer with an equally unnatural secret. Kolchak was not a big hit, but certainly gained a cult following and was a huge influence on Chris Carter's later creation of The X Files (Carter even cast McGavin as original X Files agent Arthur Dales in a couple of episode in seasons 5 and 6). I enjoyed both of the original TV movies, but preferred Strangler, as it was both a more interesting mystery story (and villain) and also considerably funnier. Strangler's plot was also a clear influence on the "Tooms" episodes of The X Files, featuring a 100+ year old villain who resurfaces every few decades in order to kill a string of victims to take something from them he needs to maintain his extended lifespan.
I've ordered the full series box-set.
Rik and Demoncrat like this.
Old 5th July 2015, 09:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Anyone else remember RUN JOE,RUN ?
No one else I have spoken to remembers this.

Old 16th July 2015, 12:58 PM
Active Cultist

Loads of good stuff mentioned in this thread.

When I was small there was one thing that was so different from anything else on childrens TV at the time. 'Battle of the Planets'.

Tracked down some of the original episodes when I was in Japan recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acOnskcyrtA
Old 17th July 2015, 01:07 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ludwig
Loved that little guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThMmLVWZo8
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th July 2015, 01:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler. These two TV movies from the early 70s - and the subsequent short-lived full TV series called Kolchak - follow the exploits of dogged newspaper reporter Carl Kolchak (Darren McGavin) who invariably seems to stumble on cases that veer into the supernatural. In The Night Stalker a real-life vampire is stalking Las Vegas, while in The Night Strangler Seattle is being stalked by a serial killer with an equally unnatural secret. Kolchak was not a big hit, but certainly gained a cult following and was a huge influence on Chris Carter's later creation of The X Files (Carter even cast McGavin as original X Files agent Arthur Dales in a couple of episode in seasons 5 and 6). I enjoyed both of the original TV movies, but preferred Strangler, as it was both a more interesting mystery story (and villain) and also considerably funnier. Strangler's plot was also a clear influence on the "Tooms" episodes of The X Files, featuring a 100+ year old villain who resurfaces every few decades in order to kill a string of victims to take something from them he needs to maintain his extended lifespan.
I've ordered the full series box-set.
You might want to check out this thread then

Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Demoncrat and iank like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd February 2016, 05:50 AM
Cult Master

Are You Being Served? 'dragged into modern era' with new BBC revamp - Telegraph

"The old guard will include Jason Watkins as Mr Humphries, Sherrie Hewson as Mrs Slocombe, John Challis as Captain Peacock, Roy Barraclough as Mr Grainger, Arthur Smith as Mr Harmon, Mathew Horne as Young Mr Grace (the original Mr Grace’s grandson), and Hollyoaks star Jorgie Porter as Miss Croft."

Oh Goddess! Sherrie Hewson talking about her pussy!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!