Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Game of Thrones (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/13630-game-thrones.html)

Dave Boy 17th August 2017 10:18 PM

Just watched EP 6......

WOW !!

Justin101 21st August 2017 07:23 PM

:jaw:

Rik 21st August 2017 07:44 PM

I need to watch it again, the version I watched on my iPad looked like a Vipco VHS :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2017 08:15 PM

What an episode. What. An. Episode.

KatyCole 22nd August 2017 02:54 PM

Episode 6 was incredible. Just outstanding. Shame there’s only one episode left of the season. But I hear it’s going to be longer – clocking it at around the 80-minute mark? Guess that makes up for it a bit. Can’t wait!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 04:46 PM

This is definitely a season where they are having to sacrifice a bit of emotional impact for events because the season is nearly 3 hours shorter than previous ones. All the things which happened last night – the major events, anyway – would typically have not have been followed immediately with something as impactful, making it less 'turbulent'.

If you think of everything that transpired in that episode, from the wight (zombie) bear at the beginning, the scene with Sansa and Arya and the revelation about being able to take anyone's face, a very nuanced spat between Dany and Tyrion, Sansa sending Brienne away, the lines between all the men north of the wall (kind of like a very cold and very short version of the Hobbit films!), including one about Jon Snow not looking like his father, the touching moment with Jon Snow offering Jorah his sword, an offer that was refused, Thoros and Benjen dying, the callback to Sandor being able to read fire, Jon Snow nearly drowning, Dany realising Jon Snow has come back from the dead, the fourth time a white walker has been killed, and the second one by Jon Snow's hand, and the episode offering the double whammy of the army of the dead having a dragon but also knowing that when a white walker is killed, anything it has turned also dies offering the possibilities of the army being unstoppable and yet extremely vulnerable, Dany and the dragons blasting the army of the dead, losing Viserion to the javelin from The Night King and then the final scene with Viserion opening a blue eye, it's as if the showrunners have been driving along at 40 mph enjoying the scenery and have now shifted into sixth gear and put the foot to the floor.

There are only seven episodes left, one this season and six next year, so there's a hell of a lot of stuff to cover in, unless they are going to start with 90 minute episodes, not a lot of time. If you think about it, they've got to sort out the Unsullied and their plight, whatever's going on with the Dothraki and Second Sons and Jon Snow's parentage, make something of Sam and Gilly, his knowledge (particularly her knowledge about Raegar's marrriage anulment) and Valyrian steel sword, Cersei and her murderous ambitions, her possible pregnancy, Jaimie and whether or not he's gonna stick with his sister, Bronn's ambition to own a castle, Bran's journey to become the Three-Eyed Raven and whether or not that involves The Night King, there needs to be a face-to-face meeting between (whatever remains of) Bran and Jon Snow so he can find out he's actually a Targaryen (and Dany's niece), whatever Baelish is going to achieve and if that involves Robin, who must've massively changed by now, whether the Iron Bank is going to stick with the Lannister's or jump ship to another family, if there is going to be a settling of differences between The Hound and The Mountain, perhaps some more magic from Melisande, Gendry doing something with that hammer and shoulders now powerful from the rowing and manufacturing weapons, Podrick becoming a skilled swordsman, and maybe even Brienne getting some loving, but with whom?

Phew!

Rik 22nd August 2017 07:41 PM

Can see the wall being compromised now they've got a dragon, either next week or at the start of next season :scared:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 547459)
Can see the wall being compromised now they've got a dragon, either next week or at the start of next season :scared:

Might that bring in the Bran the Builder-Three-Eyed Raven time travel paradox?

Rik 22nd August 2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 547475)

Possibly, all I know is the eventual end of the saga is going to be talked about for years to come a la The Sopranos :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 547476)
Possibly, all I know is the eventual end of the saga is going to be talked about for years to come a la The Sopranos :nod:

I don't think this was the artistry and sophistication of The Sopranos, but it's definitely more exciting.

Rik 22nd August 2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 547480)
I don't think this was the artistry and sophistication of The Sopranos, but it's definitely more exciting.

No, but the ending has been talked about for years now, which was my point, The Sopranos ending was the first thing that sprung to mind when thinking of an example.

As for GOT, I'm cracking on with the books and the faithfulness of the adaption is bang on, with the only notable difference being the ageing of the principal characters (in Danys case for decency reasons seeing as she's a minor when she marries Khal Drogo)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 547481)
No, but the ending has been talked about for years now, which was my point, The Sopranos ending was the first thing that sprung to mind when thinking of an example.

I get what you mean because it is one of the most widely interpreted and polarising pieces of TV I can think of, and whatever happens in the last few episodes of GoT, it's something which will be debated until, and probably after, the last book is published.

KatyCole 22nd August 2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 547429)
There are only seven episodes left, one this season and six next year, so there's a hell of a lot of stuff to cover in, unless they are going to start with 90 minute episodes, not a lot of time.

According to reports, that's exactly what they're going to be doing. I believe they're supposed to be around the hour and a half mark. Though, from what I understand, HBO hasn't confirmed this as yet.

We already know that the finale is going to be longer, though. 80 minutes, if I recall. So, I could certainly see that happening.

Quote:

This was running through my mind, as well. It definitely seemed like they needed the dragon and set a plan in motion to get it. At least, to me, anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 547475)

I’m hoping we’ll see something happen with Bran’s story arch at some point. Right now, it’s as if he’s sitting on a wealth of information and not sharing it with anyone. Just doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2017 11:05 AM

I hope they do extend the episode running times because they only tend to be about 50 minutes long anyway so, over seven episodes, that's losing over an hour from if they didn't have commercials. In order to pack in all information which is required to bring everything to a satisfactory conclusion and not make it ridiculously rushed, they are going to have to find time from somewhere and, with the last season only being six episodes long, the logical solution would be to extend the running time of each one.

I have seen mentioned, whether it's from a leaked script or something else, of a face-to-face meeting between Bran and Jon, with the latter learning of his real parentage. That's the only way they can do that so it has the impact it deserves as sending him a raven with a message saying "Dear Jon, just a quick FYI about your parents…" wouldn't be ideal!

Susan Foreman 24th August 2017 07:32 AM

Why don't you use this thread to talk about interesting things, such as who are the shortest and the tallest people on the show from Peter Dinklage, who is 4'5" (or 1.35m) to Ian Whyte, who is 7'1" (or 2.16m)

Mind you, it's s good to note that Gwendolyn Christie is 6'3" (or 1.91m) - there's hope for me yet!

‘Game Of Thrones' Characters Ordered From Smallest To Tallest | Bored Panda

Justin101 24th August 2017 08:48 AM

Perhaps that's content for when the current season ends. There is plenty to talk/think about at the moment!

Rik 24th August 2017 09:21 AM

I wouldn't class clickbait like that interesting :lol:

Susan Foreman 24th August 2017 10:34 AM

Oh, to be able to watch a television show or film, and have absolutely no interest in the actors and actresses involved! ;)

Rik 24th August 2017 10:37 AM

I do have interest in the actors from the show, just doesn't involve how tall they are, what coffee they get from Starbucks etc, which is why I don't read OK magazine :lol:

Susan Foreman 24th August 2017 10:58 AM

I have no idea what's included in 'OK' Magazine, so if you say it's this kind of thing, I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2017 06:54 PM

This HBO behind-the-scenes video is superb, especially about the zombie polar bear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx9dRL1BCCQ

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th August 2017 08:22 PM

Also, I just watched these two videos, which are well worth checking out if you want more information about the previous episode and what is likely to happen/is possible for the season finale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5We1pev0fuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEzcil8sPVo

Susan Foreman 27th August 2017 08:33 AM

Means absolutely nothing to me, but apparently the season finale is going to be a specially extended, 80 minute episode

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th August 2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 548044)
Means absolutely nothing to me, but apparently the season finale is going to be a specially extended, 80 minute episode

That's been the case with previous seasons. With this one, and particularly because there are only seven episodes remaining (six next season), they'll need to extend the running time to cover all the information which is pertinent to the characters and various narrative arcs.

Rik 28th August 2017 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spoiler free review of the season finale!

Attachment 194232

Justin101 28th August 2017 01:16 PM

Excellent episode, everything I wanted it to be :D
Just 12 months to see what happens now :lol:

Everyone just watch it ASAP, I'd hate for you to stumble upon spoilers I'm sure the internet is rife with them today!

Rik 28th August 2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 548176)
Excellent episode, everything I wanted it to be :D

Just 12 months to see what happens now :lol:

Everyone just watch it ASAP, I'd hate for you to stumble upon spoilers I'm sure the internet is rife with them today!

I'm seeing rumours that it won't be back until late 2018/early 2019 :(

I've got a few theories for the final season, but I'll save them until the discussions for this episode start :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2017 09:28 PM

What a brilliant end to the season – the wait for the next is going to be interminable.

Rik 28th August 2017 09:44 PM

Should give me more than enough time to finish reading the books (I'm about 250 pages into A Storm of Swords (Book 3) at the minute) and sift through the many thousands of fan theories doing the rounds on Reddit

Justin101 29th August 2017 07:05 AM

I'm going to re-read the books!
I haven't read them since the season break between 1 & 2 when I read all of them! I've been urging my friends to read them too but they all give up after the first book (which is pretty faithfully adapted by season 1) which is a shame because from book 2 onwards the stories start to head in different directions.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2017 08:29 AM

Spoilers!

I loved the moment when Sansa completely flipped the script for the trial by adding "Lord Baelish" to the end of a sentence, leading to Littlefinger completely crumbling. Arya slitting his throat with his own dagger was a great touch. That was one of many "punch the air" moments.

I was eagerly anticipating the meeting between all of the major characters in King's Landing and that definitely didn't disappoint, from Dany arriving (late) with her dragons to unleashing the wight on a stunned Cersei and the intense moments between Cersei and Tyrion and then Cersei and Jaimie, the events there are going to be worth re-watching several times.

The 'trial' part already established the episode was going to do something of significance with Bran, so when Sam and Gilly rolled into town enabling them to put two pieces of the puzzle together and definitively establish Jon Snow's parentage was like Google meeting Wikipedia. Having that intercut with a bit of auntie-nephew incestuous intercourse was beautifully done and very impactful.

However, the filmmakers definitely saved the biggest spectacle until the end, so having Viserion, with the Night King on his back, blasting the wall to pieces with blue fire was astonishing to watch.

Rik 29th August 2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Called it :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2017 08:41 AM

Also, really good episode for Sandor, with a couple of lovely moments, one with Brienne about Arya alluding to how she no longer needs protection, and another with his brother ("even uglier than me now"), setting up for an unmissable fight to the death between the Clegane brothers next season.

Dave Boy 29th August 2017 06:37 PM

Great episode.
The highlight for me was the Lord Baelish trial. Totally unexpected.

Rik 29th August 2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 548349)
Great episode.

The highlight for me was the Lord Baelish trial. Totally unexpected.

That was the part of the episode I accidentally spoiled for myself searching for something else last week, so it wasn't a surprise for me, pretty gutted too because I would have been thinking Arya was in trouble instead

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 548353)
That was the part of the episode I accidentally spoiled for myself searching for something else last week, so it wasn't a surprise for me, pretty gutted too because I would have been thinking Arya was in trouble instead

I was going through all sorts of permutations for Arya, including wondering if Jon Snow would be called as a witness and her asking for trial by combat and being told it wasn't allowed any more, so was completely blindsided when Sansa turned her head and finished the question with "Lord Baelish".

Rik 29th August 2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 548354)
I was going through all sorts of permutations for Arya, including wondering if Jon Snow would be called as a witness and her asking for trial by combat and being told it wasn't allowed any more, so was completely blindsided when Sansa turned her head and finished the question with "Lord Baelish".

Yeah, the good thing about the spoiler I saw was that it only said Littlefinger died, not how or by who, so seeing Arya do it with his own dagger was great :nod:

Dave Boy 29th August 2017 07:24 PM

For a moment there, I thought Ser Gregor was going to kill Jaime. That was quite tense.

Rik 29th August 2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 548363)
For a moment there, I thought Ser Gregor was going to kill Jaime. That was quite tense.

Nah, he's gotta stay alive to kill Cersei :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 548363)

You're not the only one. I figured Cersei had spared Tyrion so there was no way she was going 0/2 in the murder stakes. As he was walking away I remembered Nikolaj Coster Waldau had talked about finishing filming season eight, so he must survive this episode.