Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Game of Thrones (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/13630-game-thrones.html)

Dave Boy 17th August 2017 10:18 PM

Just watched EP 6......

WOW !!

Justin101 21st August 2017 07:23 PM

:jaw:

Rik 21st August 2017 07:44 PM

I need to watch it again, the version I watched on my iPad looked like a Vipco VHS :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st August 2017 08:15 PM

What an episode. What. An. Episode.

KatyCole 22nd August 2017 02:54 PM

Episode 6 was incredible. Just outstanding. Shame there’s only one episode left of the season. But I hear it’s going to be longer – clocking it at around the 80-minute mark? Guess that makes up for it a bit. Can’t wait!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 04:46 PM

This is definitely a season where they are having to sacrifice a bit of emotional impact for events because the season is nearly 3 hours shorter than previous ones. All the things which happened last night – the major events, anyway – would typically have not have been followed immediately with something as impactful, making it less 'turbulent'.

If you think of everything that transpired in that episode, from the wight (zombie) bear at the beginning, the scene with Sansa and Arya and the revelation about being able to take anyone's face, a very nuanced spat between Dany and Tyrion, Sansa sending Brienne away, the lines between all the men north of the wall (kind of like a very cold and very short version of the Hobbit films!), including one about Jon Snow not looking like his father, the touching moment with Jon Snow offering Jorah his sword, an offer that was refused, Thoros and Benjen dying, the callback to Sandor being able to read fire, Jon Snow nearly drowning, Dany realising Jon Snow has come back from the dead, the fourth time a white walker has been killed, and the second one by Jon Snow's hand, and the episode offering the double whammy of the army of the dead having a dragon but also knowing that when a white walker is killed, anything it has turned also dies offering the possibilities of the army being unstoppable and yet extremely vulnerable, Dany and the dragons blasting the army of the dead, losing Viserion to the javelin from The Night King and then the final scene with Viserion opening a blue eye, it's as if the showrunners have been driving along at 40 mph enjoying the scenery and have now shifted into sixth gear and put the foot to the floor.

There are only seven episodes left, one this season and six next year, so there's a hell of a lot of stuff to cover in, unless they are going to start with 90 minute episodes, not a lot of time. If you think about it, they've got to sort out the Unsullied and their plight, whatever's going on with the Dothraki and Second Sons and Jon Snow's parentage, make something of Sam and Gilly, his knowledge (particularly her knowledge about Raegar's marrriage anulment) and Valyrian steel sword, Cersei and her murderous ambitions, her possible pregnancy, Jaimie and whether or not he's gonna stick with his sister, Bronn's ambition to own a castle, Bran's journey to become the Three-Eyed Raven and whether or not that involves The Night King, there needs to be a face-to-face meeting between (whatever remains of) Bran and Jon Snow so he can find out he's actually a Targaryen (and Dany's niece), whatever Baelish is going to achieve and if that involves Robin, who must've massively changed by now, whether the Iron Bank is going to stick with the Lannister's or jump ship to another family, if there is going to be a settling of differences between The Hound and The Mountain, perhaps some more magic from Melisande, Gendry doing something with that hammer and shoulders now powerful from the rowing and manufacturing weapons, Podrick becoming a skilled swordsman, and maybe even Brienne getting some loving, but with whom?

Phew!

Rik 22nd August 2017 07:41 PM

Can see the wall being compromised now they've got a dragon, either next week or at the start of next season :scared:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 547459)
Can see the wall being compromised now they've got a dragon, either next week or at the start of next season :scared:

Might that bring in the Bran the Builder-Three-Eyed Raven time travel paradox?

Rik 22nd August 2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 547475)
Might that bring in the Bran the Builder-Three-Eyed Raven time travel paradox?

Possibly, all I know is the eventual end of the saga is going to be talked about for years to come a la The Sopranos :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 547476)
Possibly, all I know is the eventual end of the saga is going to be talked about for years to come a la The Sopranos :nod:

I don't think this was the artistry and sophistication of The Sopranos, but it's definitely more exciting.