Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Game of Thrones (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/13630-game-thrones.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th July 2017 02:27 PM

Game of Thrones

I thought it was about time there was a designated thread for this celebrated HBO series in order for fans to talk about all things from Castle Black to Trader Town and Lotus Point to the Port of Ibben and everything in between.

Justin101 26th July 2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 543620)
I have seen the first two episodes and think it is amazing how much has been packed into less than two hours of TV, so I'm eagerly anticipating the next five in this season.

As much as it's amazing how much they fit into a single episode I have often found that it's my main criticism of the show, particularly the first half of the last season, it was like this is your Jon Snow segment, this is your Cersei segment, this is your Sansa segment etc, the books are the same though, I just feel it would benefit more from a bit of overlapping or bringing everyone together.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th July 2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 543622)
As much as it's amazing how much they fit into a single episode I have often found that it's my main criticism of the show, particularly the first half of the last season, it was like this is your Jon Snow segment, this is your Cersei segment, this is your Sansa segment etc, the books are the same though, I just feel it would benefit more from a bit of overlapping or bringing everyone together.

I don't mind that element of the show either because it allows each episode to concentrate quite fully on a character, developing them and bringing them all together as the season goes on, a little like pieces on a chess board if you will.

Demoncrat 26th July 2017 02:54 PM

Was waiting for Jim Broadbent to turn up.
;)

Now Mark Heap as a Lannister would be fun imho :lol:

Justin101 26th July 2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 543632)
;)

Now Mark Heap as a Lannister would be fun imho :lol:

You kind of lose your immersion when you're watching the show then all of a sudden you're like oh, it's Bridget Jones' dad :lol:

Heap would have made a good Frey, but there aren't any left now :lol:

Demoncrat 26th July 2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 543635)
You kind of lose your immersion when you're watching the show then all of a sudden you're like oh, it's Bridget Jones' dad :lol:

Heap would have made a good Frey, but there aren't any left now :lol:

:lol: Am glad to say I haven't seen any of that. I know him mainly from National Theatre Of Brent or Mike Leigh films. It bothers me not ... and now there's nae more Penny D, theyll be flocking in droves to Westeros :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th July 2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 543632)
;)

He has been superb in the first couple of episodes and, along with the likes of Diana Rigg, Peter Vaughan, Charles Dance, David Bradley, Julian Glover and Jonathan Pryce, is one of the great British thespians to have graced the show.

Susan Foreman 26th July 2017 08:32 PM

Is it true that this thread was only started so that people could gush over Ed Sheerhan and his acting abilities?

https://blogs-images.forbes.com/inse....jpg?width=960

Demoncrat 26th July 2017 08:35 PM

:laugh:

Yes that must be it.

Rik 26th July 2017 08:38 PM

At least he didn't ****ing sing...oh wait!

Justin101 26th July 2017 09:03 PM

I'd literally never heard him sing until that scene haha. I had known one of his songs because it's a busker favourite (The A Team) but I'd never heard Ed sing it haha

Rik 26th July 2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 543735)
I'd literally never heard him sing until that scene haha. I had known one of his songs because it's a busker favourite (The A Team) but I'd never heard Ed sing it haha

Oh how I envy you!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th July 2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 543732)
At least he didn't ****ing sing...oh wait!

The episode would have been so much better if Arya had killed all those soldiers in a cold blooded and memorable way!

Demoncrat 27th July 2017 09:51 AM

For all that
The one thing I miss from the books are the songs ... ;)

Dave Boy 31st July 2017 07:06 PM

S7 EP 3 -The Queen's Justice

Another good episode.

We need to sort out a plan about spoilers in this thread. Looks like no-one else has seen the latest episode yet so I can't say anything.
What's the best way? No spoilers until after the Mon evening airing?

Rik 31st July 2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 544443)

Another good episode.

We need to sort out a plan about spoilers in this thread. Looks like no-one else has seen the latest episode yet so I can't say anything.

I watched it first thing this morning, like you say, another great episode :nod:

I suppose spoiler tags could be used, some people might wait until the seasons finished and binge watch

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 07:09 PM

From a moderators point of view i'd say no spoilers until it has aired on UK tv (whichever Sky channel that may be).

As soon as the episode has aired then feel free to discuss.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 31st July 2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 544443)

Another good episode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 544445)
From a moderators point of view i'd say no spoilers until it has aired on UK tv (whichever Sky channel that may be).

As soon as the episode has aired then feel free to discuss.

I would say avoided discussing any episode until after 10 PM on the Monday evening, so we are now free to talk about every detail in The Queen's Justice – if you haven't seen it, do not read on!

I loved the exchanges between Jon Snow, Dany, and Tyrion, both separately and together at Dragonstone – Emilia Clark and Kit Harrington have been criticised for their acting, but they really impressed in this episode.

The opening sequence with the prisoners from episode 2, and Cersei taking revenge on the Sand Sisters was particularly brilliant and disturbing, something reflected in the wonderful exchange between Jaime and Olenna, with her erasing any doubt that Jaimie had about Tyrion's guilt and his sisters cruelty. It'll be interesting to see whether she is able to keep the loyalty – and love – of her commander-in-chief.

Perhaps the most interesting scene was between Bran and Sansa, as what he was saying would have been dismissed with the same ease that Dany expressed scepticism in the army of the dead, but the way Bran casually told her about was neither life would have removed any doubts she had about what his (dubious) claim meant in reality.

Justin101 1st August 2017 09:16 AM

I wish sometimes that the cast was relatively unknown, I know being asked to perform in the show must hold a certain cache, but it really throws you out of the moment when a 'celebrity' shows up because you spend a second or two thinking is that Mark Gatiss, oh yes, it is...

Same with Jim Broadbent and to a lesser extent Jerome Flynn :lol:

Great episode though, that scene with Jaime Lannister and Lady Olenna was what I've been waiting for... "he really was a ****" :lol:

Dave Boy 1st August 2017 09:29 AM

I thought Sir Gregor was going to be let loose on Ellaria and her daughter.

Dave Boy 8th August 2017 08:31 AM

EP 4 - SPOILS OF WAR

Oh man! The thundering sound and then the attack by Daenerys and the dragon was bloody awesome. I was not expecting that.

Justin101 8th August 2017 08:36 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ajyUbP3kOChRS/giphy.gif

I had a full on fanboy moment when I heard that word - epic! And in daylight this time so you could actually see what was happening unlike the Greyjoy battle previously.

trebor8273 8th August 2017 09:41 AM

so how this season been, please no spoilers as im waiting for it to finish and binge watch it

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th August 2017 09:45 AM

Stay away, there are loads of spoilers here!

It's a series where things are moving at quite a pace – possibly as a necessity because there are only 12 episodes (including the three which are already screened) remaining in the entire show. There are many moments which will need to be watched, re-watched, and discussed with other people who have also seen it because there are lines which don't appear to mean much but have huge implications.

My next post will be full of spoilers!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th August 2017 10:16 AM

As for last night's episode – Spoils of War – which followed previous patterns of 30-40 minutes of political machinations and then 10 minutes of carnage, I thought it was superb. There is much to love and discuss, so it's something that will need to be seen several times to appreciate every nuance, probably something which will be done before watching the season finale, after the season is finished, or both.

The final attack by the Dothraki and Dany on Jaimie's forces, butchering and immolating them, and burning their food supplies, was expertly done by the director, actors, stunt people and VFX artists – majestic carnage on a cinematic scale. (That moment where the horse had its leg chopped off made me wince.)

When I said about lines seemingly not meaning much but carrying a great deal of weight, the moment when Bran said something to Littlefinger, making Baelish react more noticeably than he ever has done before, was done so quickly I didn't catch what was said. I had to ask someone and the line was "chaos is a ladder", something which he will have learned as the Three-Eyed Raven, because it was a private conversation between Baelish and Varys in season three. Baelish (like Meera when she expected an emotional parting, Sansa, Arya, and everyone else he will meet) will soon realise Bran is long gone and the Three-Eyed Raven is a very powerful entity who knows everything that ever happened in the Seven Kingdoms.

The ending leaves Jaimie's future up in the air. Will he drown, be taken prisoner and spend his days arguing with Tyrion, or will the to strike an alliance against Cersei, or make his way back to King's Landing to confront his sister/lover with the truth about Joffrey?

Whatever happens, the dagger is certain to feature in the next 12 episodes as it is made of Valyrian steel, and was initially present from Joffrey to the man who nearly killed Bran.

Justin101 8th August 2017 10:33 AM

Nos, are you familiar with the New Rockstars channel on YouTube? They do some really in depth analysis of the shows, usually 30-40 minutes long.

This is the one from last week's episode, I think they're usually uploaded on or around Friday each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVcEU3kS-kA

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th August 2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 545488)
Nos, are you familiar with the New Rockstars channel on YouTube? They do some really in depth analysis of the shows, usually 30-40 minutes long.

This is the one from last week's episode, I think they're usually uploaded on or around Friday each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVcEU3kS-kA

I hadn't heard of them until you mention them, but it sounds like something I would appreciate as the show rolls on through this season and next. With studying, I don't have time for much reading/distractions, so a concise summary and analysis would be welcome before a rewatch of the episode.

Justin101 8th August 2017 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 545493)
I hadn't heard of them until you mention them, but it sounds like something I would appreciate as the show rolls on through this season and next. With studying, I don't have time for much reading/distractions, so a concise summary and analysis would be welcome before a rewatch of the episode.

They do the Marvel and DC universes too, as well as Trailer breakdowns, it was recommended to me by a friend a few weeks back and I really enjoy the videos.

It goes without saying to everyone - but the videos contain spoilers so watch AFTER viewing the subject and not before :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th August 2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 545494)
They do the Marvel and DC universes too, as well as Trailer breakdowns, it was recommended to me by a friend a few weeks back and I really enjoy the videos.

It goes without saying to everyone - but the videos contain spoilers so watch AFTER viewing the subject and not before :lol:

I just watched the video thought it was excellent analysis with much to ponder, so I'll probably watch the Spoils of War one on Friday or Saturday followed, immediately, by a rewatch of the episode.

Rik 8th August 2017 05:34 PM

Just watched the latest episode (and have done well not to have a second of it spoiled seeing as I'm a day late this week).
That final battle was nothing short of amazing, I really did think two of my favourite characters (Jaime and Bronn) weren't going to make it out alive!
I'm sure the final 3 episodes ( :crying: ) of the season are going to be ****ing epic! :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th August 2017 02:26 PM

This is a fascinating behind-the-scenes video about the making of episode four by HBO. I like the way how many crew members look as if they belong in Game of Thrones or Middle Earth!

Obviously, there are multiple spoilers so do not watch it if you haven't seen the episode yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE2wcBeyNdk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th August 2017 02:30 PM

Oh, and as per Justin's suggestion, this is the analysis/speculation video by the New Rockstars, which I intend to watch a bit later or tomorrow before re-watching the episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQqshvpX1Y

Justin101 10th August 2017 03:13 PM

I'll watch that when I get home!

Dave Boy 10th August 2017 05:39 PM

Good videos. Thanks. :cool:

Nordicdusk 16th August 2017 11:17 PM

HBO leaked episode 6 today and it has to be the best episode of the entire series actually blew me away.

Rik 17th August 2017 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 546471)
HBO leaked episode 6 today and it has to be the best episode of the entire series actually blew me away.

Thunderstorm woke me up so I've just watched it myself, I wasn't going to so I didn't have a longer wait for the finale, but I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid any spoilers.
Fantastic episode :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th August 2017 09:46 AM

I haven't seen the sixth episode, but loved the way things were done in episode five as the filmmakers carefully rearranged the chessboard before the last few episodes in the series. The meeting between Tyrion and Jaimie was beautifully done, as was Cersei's reaction. It seems that Littlefinger hasn't given up plotting, carefully planting the letter from Sansa to Robb for Arya to find, presumably to drive a wedge between the sisters, and the 'Magnificent Seven' ending shot with Jon Snow and co. heading north to capture a White Walker was superbly framed and quite evocative. That said, I don't know why they going on there own when it would make more sense to go with a dragon!

Justin101 17th August 2017 09:58 AM

I have also not seen the leaked episode, so although this is a spoiler friendly thread please don't post about it until next Monday when I watch it on Sky :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th August 2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 546517)
I have also not seen the leaked episode, so although this is a spoiler friendly thread please don't post about it until next Monday when I watch it on Sky :lol:

The rules for this thread are to not post any spoilers about an episode until it has been screened in the UK, which will be 10 PM on Mondays following its broadcast on Sky Atlantic.

Rik 17th August 2017 10:17 AM

Yeah, I've no intention of spoiling it for anyone (or the finale which I accidentally had spoiled last night while searching for episode 6 :doh: )