Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28th July 2017, 02:31 AM
Ex-member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default Films that were shown on UK TV by mistake

The Shining (1980)

ITV showed the 144 minute edit of the film instead of the 119 minute version.

Children of the Corn (1984)


LWT (other ITV regions as well) on Saturday 9/5/1987 showed a much longer cut of this film than the version that eventually made it to theaters and video. Amongst the missing footage:

A longer prologue where several other adults are killed, most noticlbly a deputy whose throat is slashed and then stabbed in the chest, and a farmer who is hacked to death outside his barn by a group of pick-axe wielding kids.
A scene between Sarah and Job's parents before the slaughter. They talk over the breakfast table about Sarah's drawings of the upcoming massacre and how they think something awful is about to happen.
A scene where Isaac prays to He Who Walks Behind The Rows only to receive a horrific vision of his impending fate.

Can be viewed via imdb Alternate Versions webpage.

Sea of Love (1989)

Several scenes featuring Lorraine Bracco as Al Pacino's wife were cut before release and reinserted for the film television premiere on BBC1.

These additions were all included on the Universal Thrillers VHS edition of the film. They are as follows:

1. Frank sees a suspicious man on the street and calls for back-up from a nearby pay phone. It is revealed that this man is a personal bodyguard for a child at a nearby school. Parts of this scene were included in the original theatrical trailer.

2. The complete scene with Lorraine Bracco in which she pleads with Frank to stop bothering her and her husband. She also reveals that she is pregnant.

3. Frank comes home to his apartment and is surprised by his father, played by William Hickey, who is already in the apartment. His father tells him about an old partner who just passed away.

DVD features three deleted scenes; however, the scenes featuring Lorraine Bracco are not included.

Can be viewed via imdb Alternate Versions webpage.


Evil Dead (2013)

Channel 4 showed an alternate cut on 01/25/2015 running an extra 4m 10s. It is not known where this cut came from, but it is assumed that StudioCanal provided the alternate print in error to Channel 4 with the following added scenes.

Natalie says "Give me back my hand" when she gets possessed. (Nod to Evil Dead 2)
Mia sings "We're gonna get you" in the cellar (which is the infamous scene in the trailers)
After Natalie dies, David tells Eric he has to get rid of the bodies so he burns Olivia's body and cuts Natalie's body with a chainsaw.
A clip of Eric coming into the room and drinking rainwater that's in a plastic container catching dripping water.
There are shots of Eric burning in flames when the cabin is on fire. He says "Join us..."
There is a shot of David burning and he then opens his eyes, clearly possessed.
The final scene is Mia walking on the road. A truck driver in an S-Mart van drives and sees her.


Can anyone else add to the above titles?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28th July 2017, 04:56 AM
gag's Avatar
gag gag is online now
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Here there and everywhere
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I dont think they were shown by mistake , I'm pretty sure TV has a different censorship than the bbfc for films at cinema and general release to buy ..
TV been known quite often to show alternative or slightly different versions of films than the ones we are use to ...
But sadly I can't add to that list at this precious moment , but if I think of any then I all add to it ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28th July 2017, 05:04 AM
Susan Foreman's Avatar
Cult Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Back in the ol' smoke
Default

Back in 1989, the uncut version of the film 'Visiting Hours' was broadcast on ITV despite it being banned at the time

The Broadcasting Standards Council were not impressed!
Demoncrat and SilverSurfer like this.
__________________
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th July 2017, 08:40 AM
Deadite's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Default

No idea what the film was but i remember that breakfast telly had a strike on ITV at some point in the mid to late eighties, so they replaced it with a film set at a ski resort. There were norks all over the place.
__________________
RIP Douglas White. 11-06-33 - 01-07-2017
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th July 2017, 09:34 AM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 20
Default

Uncut Abyss on Channel 4. Even my sister noticed
SilverSurfer likes this.
__________________
"Blade! Equilibrium! Commando!"


" ....all you people in those coffins? I don't believe in this kinda stuff .... YOU HEAR ME??!! So don't be tryin' to turn me into no damn wolf!!!!"




Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th July 2017, 01:44 PM
Ex-member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I dont think they were shown by mistake , I'm pretty sure TV has a different censorship than the bbfc for films at cinema and general release to buy ..
TV been known quite often to show alternative or slightly different versions of films than the ones we are use to .
I do remember The Shining being put on by mistake as it was listed as having a 2hr 15min slot (approx 2hrs for the film and approx 15mins of ads) and thinking to myself at the time "Am I going to have enough tape left to record it because it was still going beyond it's alotted time slot".

It does make you wonder where they get there prints from!!


It would be great if some companies released TV versions of their films like when they were broadcast back in the 1970s/80s as there were some gems to be had.

Die Hard was one "Yippee Ki yay, Mr Falcon!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4koLWPq2qDY

Scarface (Some classic lines redubbed here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3cYepBxJus


A different take on the Pacino/Pfeiffer scene @ 1:41
bleakshaun likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th July 2017, 02:21 PM
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Borehole 10-X
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The Shining (1980)

ITV showed the 144 minute edit of the film instead of the 119 minute version.

Children of the Corn (1984)


LWT (other ITV regions as well) on Saturday 9/5/1987 showed a much longer cut of this film than the version that eventually made it to theaters and video. Amongst the missing footage:

A longer prologue where several other adults are killed, most noticlbly a deputy whose throat is slashed and then stabbed in the chest, and a farmer who is hacked to death outside his barn by a group of pick-axe wielding kids.
A scene between Sarah and Job's parents before the slaughter. They talk over the breakfast table about Sarah's drawings of the upcoming massacre and how they think something awful is about to happen.
A scene where Isaac prays to He Who Walks Behind The Rows only to receive a horrific vision of his impending fate.

Can be viewed via imdb Alternate Versions webpage.

Sea of Love (1989)

Several scenes featuring Lorraine Bracco as Al Pacino's wife were cut before release and reinserted for the film television premiere on BBC1.

These additions were all included on the Universal Thrillers VHS edition of the film. They are as follows:

1. Frank sees a suspicious man on the street and calls for back-up from a nearby pay phone. It is revealed that this man is a personal bodyguard for a child at a nearby school. Parts of this scene were included in the original theatrical trailer.

2. The complete scene with Lorraine Bracco in which she pleads with Frank to stop bothering her and her husband. She also reveals that she is pregnant.

3. Frank comes home to his apartment and is surprised by his father, played by William Hickey, who is already in the apartment. His father tells him about an old partner who just passed away.

DVD features three deleted scenes; however, the scenes featuring Lorraine Bracco are not included.

Can be viewed via imdb Alternate Versions webpage.


Evil Dead (2013)

Channel 4 showed an alternate cut on 01/25/2015 running an extra 4m 10s. It is not known where this cut came from, but it is assumed that StudioCanal provided the alternate print in error to Channel 4 with the following added scenes.

Natalie says "Give me back my hand" when she gets possessed. (Nod to Evil Dead 2)
Mia sings "We're gonna get you" in the cellar (which is the infamous scene in the trailers)
After Natalie dies, David tells Eric he has to get rid of the bodies so he burns Olivia's body and cuts Natalie's body with a chainsaw.
A clip of Eric coming into the room and drinking rainwater that's in a plastic container catching dripping water.
There are shots of Eric burning in flames when the cabin is on fire. He says "Join us..."
There is a shot of David burning and he then opens his eyes, clearly possessed.
The final scene is Mia walking on the road. A truck driver in an S-Mart van drives and sees her.


Can anyone else add to the above titles?
That COTC showing has recently (finally!!) turned up. Hopefully something can be done with it.
__________________
The Church Of What's Happening Now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th July 2017, 02:26 PM
Cult Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Borehole 10-X
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I dont think they were shown by mistake , I'm pretty sure TV has a different censorship than the bbfc for films at cinema and general release to buy ..
TV been known quite often to show alternative or slightly different versions of films than the ones we are use to ...
But sadly I can't add to that list at this precious moment , but if I think of any then I all add to it ...
What was it that made the moment so precious at that precise time? Less than five minutes on the clock left with the girlfriend?
__________________
The Church Of What's Happening Now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28th July 2017, 03:43 PM
Ex-member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
That COTC showing has recently (finally!!) turned up.
Where?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28th July 2017, 04:08 PM
gag's Avatar
gag gag is online now
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Here there and everywhere
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
What was it that made the moment so precious at that precise time? Less than five minutes on the clock left with the girlfriend?
Close but sadly no cigar for you , it was early hours of the morning and in was running late . fell back asleep I generally set of to work at 5:30 , I got up at 5:45 .
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.