Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   Twin Peaks (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/1672-twin-peaks.html)

Baseball Fury 7th July 2011 10:52 PM

I posted a couple of pics of the board game in the Show Us Yours thread

ZigZagZombie 12th July 2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 161658)
Anyone who's really into the music of the series and the film been buying the unreleased music on davidlynch.com?
Well worth the $0.99 for each track, sometimes $1.99.

Also, going to buy the FWWM blu ray over the weekend. :D

Cheers for the heads up on the music, may have to have a wander over to Lynch's site and have a look me thinks...

Sounds like FWWM has been growing on you like a fungus since I was last on these boards; think I read you saying you've got the laserdisc right? Never seen anything in that format myself so am curious what you thought of it in comparison to the other versions you have.

Did you pick up the blu-ray yet btw and if so what did you think? Just been having a look on DVD Beaver and looks like a decent release.

Finally, where do we reckon the best place would be to pick up this Blu? Found it on Amazon's French site but just curious if it's available cheaper elsewhere before I try ordering it there?

Cheers in advance peeps ;)

Argentofan 12th July 2011 06:11 PM

The music is great, have all of the releases so far. :)

I've never played the laserdisc as I don't have a laserdisc player! :lol: I have the american and british DVD releases and the british release is better imo. The video I have is pretty bad :lol: but it's nice to watch it on the video every now and again.

I have picked up the blu ray, monday to be precise! It hasn't come yet (the 18th apparently). I got it from Amazon france and the only other place I've seen it is once on ebay for alot more money than amazon so I think there is your best bet :) I'll let you know what it's like when it gets here.

ZigZagZombie 18th July 2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 165408)
I've never played the laserdisc as I don't have a laserdisc player! :lol: I have the american and british DVD releases and the british release is better imo. The video I have is pretty bad :lol: but it's nice to watch it on the video every now and again.

That's some committed collecting right there :) Always said to myself I'd snap certain things up on vinyl in a second even though I don't currently have the means to play them. Think like many collectors we've sometimes got as much of a fetish, for want of a better word, for these shiny artifacts themselves as we have for what's on them.

And yup, occasionally fond of a bit of VHS action myself. With some movies, especially old creaky horror films, the lower resolution can sometimes add to the creepy atmosphere. Suppose it sometimes allows us to leave more to our imaginations when we can't see everything in crystal clear high-def. Can't abide watching panned and scanned viddies though. Feel like I've been robbed by some philistine of half the film.

Argentofan 18th July 2011 06:59 PM

I agree. I recently watched The Shining on my old VHS and then a few days after on Blu ray and enjoyed it a whole lot more on the VHS, it added to the atmosphere as you said. :D

ZigZagZombie 19th July 2011 12:04 PM

The Shining and several other Kubrick films are one of the few exceptions I'd make to my no-pan-and-scan rule I mentioned as it happens :)

Apparently after seeing such a mutilated version of his 2001 on TV Kubrick started shooting his films in full-frame (or open matte) format with the DoP composing for the widescreen theatrical ratio but protecting (i.e. watching for wayward booms, cables etc) for the 4:3 home ratio so that when the film was put on TV, video etc they wouldn't end up having to chop the film to ribbons.

As a result this means that prior to their appearance on Blu-Ray most of us have been seeing the 4:3 version of these films (i.e. Kubrick's last five, I think) and, as a result have probably got used to it.

I know it certainly hit me, if only on a subliminal level, that something seemed different when I first watched the Blu-Ray. Obviously by returning to the theatrical ratio we end up losing the top and bottom parts of the image we were previously used to seeing, which, like I say, felt odd at first. But like I say the film was composed for this ratio and after a while I could see why.

Firstly (and most importantly) having a reduced amount of vertical space arguably adds to the film's claustrophobic feel. Also, it means that anything that was missed when they were protecting for 4:3 (such as the shadow of the helicopter during the opening sequence) will no longer be visible.

Having said all this though, I could still happily watch my old video copy of The Shining anytime, seeing as it's the version of the film I was most familiar with for years. However, after watching the Blu-Ray a few times I'd have to say it takes precedent for me now, even if watching my old, slightly foggy, degrading VHS copy has its own charm once in a while :)

mercury 8th October 2011 02:49 PM

Just finished the last episode last night and my head is still thumping:frusty: Maybe it's just me, but I feel just a bit confused. I will not say much more so as not to spoil it for others. But overall I have thoroughly enjoyed Twin Peaks and would recommend it to anyone. I will have to get Fire Walk With Me now to see if there is any more explanations:pray:

platostotal 8th October 2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 188370)
Just finished the last episode last night and my head is still thumping:frusty: Maybe it's just me, but I feel just a bit confused. I will not say much more so as not to spoil it for others. But overall I have thoroughly enjoyed Twin Peaks and would recommend it to anyone. I will have to get Fire Walk With Me now to see if there is any more explanations:pray:

Yep, you need to.:)

mercury 11th October 2011 10:41 AM

Watched Fire Walk With Me. Thought it was great, really enjoyed it:pop2: Only thing is that while clearing a few things up about the series; it went and totally confused me in other ways. I will be searching the internet for some time I would think, before it all becomes clear....if ever:eek:

wayfarer 11th October 2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 189060)
Watched Fire Walk With Me. Thought it was great, really enjoyed it:pop2: Only thing is that while clearing a few things up about the series; it went and totally confused me in other ways. I will be searching the internet for some time I would think, before it all becomes clear....if ever:eek:

There was a lot cut out and sadly many of these scenes were of Twin Peaks residents. We're still waiting for the scenes to be available:rolleyes: