Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree294Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2010, 10:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSix View Post
Hi

Has anybody else seen Twin Peaks? I am currently watching it for the first time (I'm a big David Lynch fan) and I think it's superb. I have just finished watching the first season and have the full second season to watch now. I think it will be a strong contender for my favourite TV series of all time if it carries on the way it is currently going. It's basically set the standard for all TV series after it ended in my opinion and LOST is a 21st century Twin Peaks.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts and opinions on it? Please try and avoid any spoilers though as I haven't seen any of the second season so have no idea what to expect.

Thanks,
LineSix
I love Twin Peaks, I didn't really get it the first time around because I was too young maybe. But I really like the series now. Yes, I bought the dvd's too, but I've yet to buy the series 2 dvd, will get round to that soon. Fire Walk With Me was interesting, plus it reveals the identity of Sarah Palmer's killer proper. That show was one of a kind. I liked Agent Cooper a lot, a great performance. Memorable.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th October 2010, 05:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Love Twin Peaks. Never saw it first time round on TV (I was still at school & probably a bit too young to fully understand it) but years later I bought Season One when it was finally released on dvd. I was totally in love with Sherilyn Fenn who played Audrey Horne (fantastic name!) at the time & who can forget her scene with the cherry stem. Wow!
I was gutted when I found out Season two wasn't being released in the UK at the time, but this June I was bought the Definitive Gold Box Edition for my 40th birthday so all is good. Gonna have to dive into it soon. I was a little disappointed with Fire Walked with Me (no Lara Flynn Boyle for starters) but I've only seen it once & that was a while ago, so perhaps a repeat viewing is in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchslicer View Post
has anyone ever listened to the tapes of dale cooper if not you probably should ,they're hilarious.
I bought them cheap from a comic fair years ago, they are brilliant. I always tried to imagine what diane looked like. Also Kyle MacLachlan was actually nominated for a Grammy Award for best spoken-word performance for these tapes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Apparently, a computer game (haven't a clue what it's called) is supposed to be coming out soon that is very similar in story and content to Twin Peaks. Whilst not really my thing, I thought I'd mention it in case anybody was interested.
I think the game your refering to is Deadly Premonition, an Xbox 360 game that's being released on the 29th of October.

Official Xbox magazine said it was such a bizzare game that it almost defies rating.

Deadly Premonition

'Deadly Premonition is a third-person survival-horror-action game that blends gritty crime investigation gameplay, with a topnotch story and classic melee and ranged combat. Set across an expansive and persistent open world game environment filled with more than 30 non-player characters (NPCs), side quests and multiple types of deadly supernatural enemies, Deadly Premonition offers a unique and haunting interactive gaming experience unlike any other'.

Story
Deadly Premonition follows the adventures of Special Agent Francis York Morgan sent to the fictional Pacific Northwest town of Greenvale to investigate the brutal murder of a young local beauty. Amidst the backdrop of soaring mountains and a town filled with eccentric natives, Agent Morgan must solve the mystery of the Red Seed Murders and stay alive in a place where supernatural creatures and a legendary folklore killer seek to end his investigation permanently.
keirarts likes this.

You make it easy.

Last edited by kingofwitches666; 11th October 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11th October 2010, 07:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Heres the trailer for Deadly Premonition for those of you who are interested. Probably about the closest we'll get to a Twin Peaks-esque video game.
keirarts likes this.

You make it easy.
Old 26th October 2010, 09:56 PM
Active Cultist

It does sound like they have essentially taken the Twin Peaks storyline and turned it into a game. Is this a 360 exclusive? As mine went kaput a while ago now and I never bothered buying a new one (as my warranty was well up on the one I had so couldn't get it fixed).

Might have to buy another 360 if that is the case as it sounds very intriguing and Twin Peaks is my favourite TV series.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

It's a very odd film Fire walk with me. Featuring a totally random appearance by David Bowie. It reveals a lot about Laura Palmer as a person though, we see a few sides to her character that was never seen or mentioned in the series. And the killer is revealed too. But yeah, it's a very bizarre movie, that's maybe only intended for true fans of the original TV series. Your average movie-goer is gonna Hate this for sure. I kind of enjoyed it though. You can pick this up at HMV for next to nothing these day's. I think I paid £3 for it, brand new. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet...
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:01 AM
Active Cultist

Fire Walk with Me was an interesting watch as while I didn't hate it, it didn't have the same kind of atmosphere as the show did. The David Bowie appearance is crazy, I have no idea what thats all about. "I'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all, we're gonna keep her out of it."

I do think after letting it sink in, it's as good as anything else Lynch has ever done. I need to watch it again at some point, on it's own without watching the show first so I'm not comparing it with the show.
keirarts likes this.

Last edited by LineSix; 27th October 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 27th October 2010, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSix View Post
Fire Walk with Me was an interesting watch as while I didn't hate it, it didn't have the same kind of atmosphere as the show did. The Davie Bowie appearance is crazy, I have no idea what thats all about. "I'm not gonna talk about Judy. In fact, we're not gonna talk about Judy at all, we're gonna keep her out of it."

I do think after letting it sink in, it's as good as anything else Lynch has ever done. I need to watch it again at some point, on it's own without watching the show first so I'm not comparing it with the show.
Yeah, Fire walk with me didn't quite have the same atmosphere and tone as the original TV series did it? I agree with you on that, your right. No I can't explain the random appearance by David Bowie either. Do you remember seeing the random appearance by Marilyn Manson and his Bass player Twiggy in Lost Highway too? Very strange...
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th November 2010, 11:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
Yeah, Fire walk with me didn't quite have the same atmosphere and tone as the original TV series did it? I agree with you on that, your right. No I can't explain the random appearance by David Bowie either. Do you remember seeing the random appearance by Marilyn Manson and his Bass player Twiggy in Lost Highway too? Very strange...
Most scenes relating to the inhabitants of Twin Peaks ended up on the cutting room floor in favour of focusing just on Laura Palmer. Fire Walk With Me acted as a prequel and sequel to the series and came partway to answering some of the questions left hanging at the end of Season 2, such as what happened to Agent Cooper and Annie.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th November 2010, 12:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love this series – seen it through four or five times.

I was in HMV yesterday and saw that the Gold Collection (which features both series, the pilot and various other special features) is now only £20 – an essential purchase at that price.
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th November 2010, 09:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
I love this series – seen it through four or five times.

I was in HMV yesterday and saw that the Gold Collection (which features both series, the pilot and various other special features) is now only £20 – an essential purchase at that price.
£18 at FOPP, if you can get to one. I replaced my Season 1 and 2 sets yesterday. Only for the extras!
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!