Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree294Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2011, 02:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagZombie View Post
Like we said above it certainly has its moments from here on in but I'd say it seems to lose momentum more than anything, now that the central mystery is somewhat wrapped up. As I keep saying though, tis worth sticking through to the end though

And, like you say, Ray Wise's performance is absolutely fantastic, especially considering the range of emotions his character goes through. The parts where he starts doing little song and dance numbers after his hair turns white never fail to crack me up for some reason.

Incidentally, Wise shows up in Wes Craven's Swamp Thing movie from the early 80's. Yet again he's quite entertaining to watch and I'd say the movie itself (aside from the terrible 'two guys fighting in rubber suits' finale) was much better than I initially expected.
Ray Wise is one of my favourite actors that most people have never heard of. I remember first seeing him in Robocop. I love that scene where Robo grabs him by the hair.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:06 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
Ray Wise is one of my favourite actors that most people have never heard of. I remember first seeing him in Robocop. I love that scene where Robo grabs him by the hair.
Lol, I'm sure he tries kicking Robo in the nuts aswell if I remember correctly

Yup, Wise does seem to be criminally underused in films but as far as I know he seems to have had a fairly decent TV career since Twin Peaks at least.
Old 26th February 2011, 11:33 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentofan View Post
Just finished the last episode. I can safely say that Twin Peaks is my favourite TV show.
The last two episodes were just as good, if not better than the first series. The last episode in particular was amazing. I thought that something was up with Coop but damn!
I wish we got to know what happened to the rest of the cast though.
Yup, tis a shame that some of the cast seem to get culled at the 11th hour in the last episode and others just simply get left hanging, but the more I think about it I suppose it's actually quite fitting considering how surreal and somewhat nihilistic the rest of the episode seems to be.

Kudos again to Lynch (and Frost) for unleashing such an art-house mind**** on an unsuspecting primetime audience. As many TV critics have suggested, we're still feeling the aftershocks from this show even 20 years later and furthermore, there's been plenty of series that would probably have never been green lit in the first place if it wasn't for Peaks' cultural impact.

Btw, did you get around to watching the movie yet Argentofan?
Old 2nd March 2011, 04:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I did watch the film, it wasn't as good as the series but it was good to see more of Laura and it added alot more to the story and resolved some loose ends.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:38 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentofan View Post
I did watch the film, it wasn't as good as the series but it was good to see more of Laura and it added alot more to the story and resolved some loose ends.
Sorry for the belated reply, not checked this thread for a while. Glad to hear you enjoyed the film even if you weren't exactly knocked out by it. I'll always be curious to know how I'd have reacted to the film if I'd watched the series first and not the other way round. Impossible to say really, but I must admit when I got round to initially watching the series (a good while after watching the movie) it did take me a while to adjust to the slightly different tone it had to the film.

When it comes down to it though I don't think there's one I prefer over the other. Sure, there are whole episodes of seeming filler in the show I can quite happily skip over but that's the case with almost all TV series I've watched really so I don't consider that a failing as such.

Just curious btw but is there anything specifically about the series that you thought was missing from the film that might have improved it for you? There's certain characters missing from the show that I was sad to see excised from the film but to be honest I think their presence might have shifted the tone too much in the "wrong" direction. E.g. Whilst he does give me a giggle on occasion I think someone like Deputy Andy would have stuck out like a sore thumb in FWWM.
Old 29th March 2011, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I think one thing should have been that they brought back audrey with the right actor, that was one thing that detached me from the film a bit. Other than that I think most of the characters that needed to be in the film, were. I am going to have to watch it again pretty soon cause I can't remember much of it and I might make more sense of it a second time around. Plus I could do with some more Sheryl Lee
Old 5th May 2011, 02:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Just finished watching Fire Walk With Me and enjoyed it alot more second time around.

oh, and anyone get the US gold boxset and have any of the postcards that they are willing to part with?

Last edited by Argentofan; 5th May 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 15th June 2011, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I had recorded Twin Peaks a while ago and recently started watching it. I got through season one and I loved it. Then I dropped my package with virgin as I was getting sky. Not knowing I would have to pay extra to watch things I had already recorded in the first place So I am left wanting, sorry needing to watch the second season and the film.
So I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good set to buy. I have looked on Amazon and ebay and there are a few different ones. So I would be greatful for any advice

PS sorry if the different versions are discussed in earlier posts. I haven't read them incase I read a spoiler
Old 15th June 2011, 07:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd recommend picking up the Gold Box set, its quite reasonably priced nowadays.

I love Twin Peaks, it's my favourite thing ever. I've seen the whole series 6 times (including FWWM), I've got the Gold Box set as well as separate S1 and S2 releases, plus two editions of FWWM. I've got the books (Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, My Life My Tapes and the Access Guide to the town), soundtrack cd's/records, I got a sealed copy of the Twin Peaks Murder Mystery Game for Christmas from my girlfriend, and she's taking me to Washington in 2013 for the Twin Peaks festIval as a 30th birthday present!

I bloody love Twin Peaks
Old 15th June 2011, 08:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I had recorded Twin Peaks a while ago and recently started watching it. I got through season one and I loved it. Then I dropped my package with virgin as I was getting sky. Not knowing I would have to pay extra to watch things I had already recorded in the first place So I am left wanting, sorry needing to watch the second season and the film.
So I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good set to buy. I have looked on Amazon and ebay and there are a few different ones. So I would be greatful for any advice

Twin Peaks Season 1 and 2 Gold Edition is currently £23.67 on Amazon. sometimes goes down to about £18 on Zavvi but that's still a good price and has extras exclusive to that edition. Not sure if it carries over the extras from the standalone S2 set but I know it doesn't have most of the extras from the S1 set such as little featurettes and commentaries by the technical crew. Still the best set to get in my opinion though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!