Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree1228Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2011, 09:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
great to see much love for the demented duo. just recently rewatched Busy Bodies, The Music Box and Laughing Gravy (the 2reeler). must get The Laurel & Hardy Murder Case (easily in my top 5 L&H'ers)
The L & H Murder Case is a classic. Still one of the most watched in my house.
Pete, Demoncrat and harryd like this.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 14th October 2011, 12:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Ollie and his knowing glances to the audience are wonderul touches from a medium when the actors normally go out of their way to stay distanced from the audience.
This is definitely one of the best attributes of Hardy and the way he interacts with the audience with one of his looks to the viewer is always good for a laugh.
Old 14th October 2011, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAlive View Post
The L & H Murder Case is a classic. Still one of the most watched in my house.
An absolute side-splitter no doubt about it. From the "Oliver, are you really going?" moment to the Bat-in-the-bed scene.

Just thinking of the part in The Sons Of The Desert when Ollie is feeling ill and Stan calls for a Doctor. An animal Doctor that is!

Hardy: "Now why did you wanna hire a Veterinarian for?"
Laurel: "Well, i didn't think his religion would make any difference!"
Old 17th January 2013, 06:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

For any members here interested in acquiring the L&H 'suitcase' set it may be worth checking out your nearest HMV. Last Saturday Gateshead's branch had this collection on sale for £22.50 due to the company's current 25% off marked price promo.

A very nice result imo considering this release was originally priced at £100.00 then reduced to £30.00. The above outlet had a pile of these sets all with a blue 'X' sticker denoting the £25% off deal and when i took my copy to the till the sales assistant scanned said release through at £30.00. I subsequently pointed out my purchase was part of the promo and therefore eligible for the 25% off discount to which the employee replied "This shouldn't be part of it as it's a sale item.". Still, she offset the relevant deduction and i was most pleased with such a bargain as i'd been after this set for a good while but kept on delaying buying it. I'm glad i held out now considering the saving i made!
Old 17th January 2013, 11:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
For any members here interested in acquiring the L&H 'suitcase' set it may be worth checking out your nearest HMV. Last Saturday Gateshead's branch had this collection on sale for £22.50 due to the company's current 25% off marked price promo.

A very nice result imo considering this release was originally priced at £100.00 then reduced to £30.00. The above outlet had a pile of these sets all with a blue 'X' sticker denoting the £25% off deal and when i took my copy to the till the sales assistant scanned said release through at £30.00. I subsequently pointed out my purchase was part of the promo and therefore eligible for the 25% off discount to which the employee replied "This shouldn't be part of it as it's a sale item.". Still, she offset the relevant deduction and i was most pleased with such a bargain as i'd been after this set for a good while but kept on delaying buying it. I'm glad i held out now considering the saving i made!
Good spot, I've only seen 1 or 2 of their films and I've always wanted to have that set. Will have to check my local although I'm still peeved that I have £60 in vouchers to use but can't

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 20th January 2013, 06:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

I have the 21 disc collection. Fantastic !

Just off the top of my head, two scenes that are laugh out loud funny...

Our Wife... James finlayson steps on the sweeper at the top of the stairs !
Chickens Come Home... Mrs Hardy and butler James Finlayson can't believe their eyes as Stan and Ollie try to sneak Ollie's old girlfriend out the door !
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 06:47 PM
Cult Master

"Excuse me, my ear is full of milk"

"Lots of weather we've been having lately"
Dave Boy likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th January 2013, 07:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thicker Than Water

Mrs. Hardy: "Oliver did I or did I not give you the money to pay on the furniture?"
Ollie: "You certainly did"
Mrs. Hardy: "Then why wasn't it paid?"
Ollie: "Why, I gave it to him (points to Stan) to pay it for me"
Mrs. Hardy (to Stan): "Then what did you do with it?"
Stan: "I gave it back to him"
Ollie: "You gave it to me?"
Stan: "Yeah I gave it to you to pay my room and board then you gave it to her, recomember?"
Mrs. Hardy: "Do you mean to say that the money that he gave to you that you gave to him that he gave to me, was the same money that I gave to him to pay him?"
Stan: "Well if that was the money that you gave to him to give to me to pay to him, it must have been the money that I gave him to give to you to pay my rent - didn't I?"
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 20th January 2013, 07:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I didn't know there was a Laurel and Hardy thread.

As Pete says on the first page, Way Out West is his favourite, its also mine too. The dance the duo do is absolutely priceless.

One of the greatest scenes in cinema history.

As for an episode that hasn't been mentioned yet. Oliver the Eighth is brilliant, funny and when i originally saw it, incredibly scary.

They used to show episodes on BBC2 weeknights at around 5.30 in the early eighties. Harold Lloyd and others as well.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st January 2013, 11:32 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
As for an episode that hasn't been mentioned yet. Oliver the Eighth is brilliant, funny and when i originally saw it, incredibly scary.
Agreed it a good one, but

SPOILER

It's ruined by a real cop-out ending. "I just had a terrible dream." It should have ended with the widow entering the room, Stan breaking out of the closet (no homosexual innuendo intended), Ollie waking up, and the two of them running away, in traditional (and bumbling) Laurel and Hardy style!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!