Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The Walking Dead (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/3882-walking-dead.html)

pedromonkey 22nd November 2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 113739)
I've seen the first 3 episode and have to say I'm really impressed. What more could you want from a weekly zombie show, tonnes of gore, ace looking zombies and Michael Rooker!!!!! May the awsomeness continue.

how awesome was Michael Rooker as Mearle. Also noticed that some of the cast are from The Mist too, which is one of my fave horror films of the last 10 years...

DJBenz 22nd November 2010 10:31 PM

Episode 3 was a slow-burner but it did a lot for character development. Very tense, and yet there was only a handful of zombies in it. Looking forward to episode 4 stepping up the pace a little, now we've got to know the characters.

wayfarer 23rd November 2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 113736)
episode 4 is even better than episode 3 and it just keeps getting better...

Agreed. It ramps up the tension considerably. I like the additional content not found in the original comic books. The only problem I had was the offhand way in which the writers roped in Jim's backstory. That was handled better in the comic book, but hey, it's no biggie.

With only two episodes to go in Season One, I reckon I will miss this more than most shows in hiatus.

nekromantik 24th November 2010 12:50 AM

loved the last episode!!

this is awesome!

New charcters were pretty cool and then the end was quite sad :(

broonage 24th November 2010 08:22 AM

Is this an on going series or just a one-off like Band of Brothers?

wayfarer 24th November 2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 113993)
Is this an on going series or just a one-off like Band of Brothers?

it's an ongoing series and has already been renewed by AMC. 13 episodes have been ordered for next Fall's schedule. So good news that Season 2 has been greenlit, bad news we have to wait until this time next year.

vipco 24th November 2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 113704)
You haven't read the graphic novels then I see :p

No, im a Walking Dead virgin . I will be checking them out though next time im in Forbidden Planet .

antmumford 24th November 2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 114059)
No, im a Walking Dead virgin . I will be checking them out though next time im in Forbidden Planet .

Best thing to do is try and pick up the Compendium because it features issues 1-48 in one nice big paperback. Cheapest I could find was about £34 online although someone's selling it with a starting bid at £14.99 on ebay.

wayfarer 24th November 2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 114059)

Don't buy them there. You're better off ordering them from Amazon.co.uk. If you buy the individual volumes, they're not much more than £6.50 a pop. Well worth it too. But if you can get the bigger volumes for about £15, do that:nod:

wayfarer 24th November 2010 04:52 PM

BTW: Get a load of this "reviewer". What a ------- *insert appropriate expletive that is bound to offend*

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » ‘The Walking Dead

antmumford 24th November 2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 114069)
BTW: Get a load of this "reviewer". What a ------- *insert appropriate expletive that is bound to offend*

Unbelievable! I actually found myself shouting at the laptop just reading it. What a plonker, does he not know anything about how TV shows work. It works because we get to know and love the characters. That review has made me angry because some people won't watch now and people really need to see it to make their own judgement. Everyones entitled to their opinions but it's as if he hasn't even sat down and watched it properly or understood that it's based on a graphic novel!

wayfarer 24th November 2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 114072)
Unbelievable! I actually found myself shouting at the laptop just reading it. What a plonker, does he not know anything about how TV shows work. It works because we get to know and love the characters. That review has made me angry because some people won't watch now and people really need to see it to make their own judgement. Everyones entitled to their opinions but it's as if he hasn't even sat down and watched it properly or understood that it's based on a graphic novel!

What irks me the most, is the guy can't have seen the entire 6 episode run. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence must realise that the series has been building up. Episode 4 makes this very clear. If the comic book is anything to go by it might end the first season with a fatal clash between survivors (not a spoiler because I have no idea how it wil end).

Aurora75 26th November 2010 11:51 AM

Have not read the comics but liking the series a lot. Well written and keeps your attention. Loved the scene where he gets stuck in the tank..

vipco 26th November 2010 03:17 PM

Thanks for the info on the comics guys. I'll try Forbidden Planet and see what they have as i'll be in town early next week before I start looking online.

mjarbar 27th November 2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 114312)
Thanks for the info on the comics guys. I'll try Forbidden Planet and see what they have as i'll be in town early next week before I start looking online.

Waterstones are pushing the graphic novels in the sci-fi / fantasy section, if you have one near you.

Gojirosan 29th November 2010 02:17 AM

Episode 2 aside*, it's very "soap opera-ey" so far. Not very impressed. I can see myself getting bored if it carries on in this style. I'm not sure zombies are suitable for a series approach such as this.

Fingers crossed, but I think it's going to go tits up very soon, to be honest.

*Epsiode 2 had tension, action, plenty of monsters, minimal whining about relationships and other soap crap, a Dodge Challenger R/T and Michael Rooker. It will take a lot to live up to that!

Gojirosan 29th November 2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 114069)

I thought he was pretty much spot on, to be honest. Sorry.

DJBenz 30th November 2010 09:33 AM

Episode 4 was a bit of a corker, with just the right mix of zombies and tension with the stand-off between the group and the hispanic survivors. Probably the best episode thus far, or perhaps the first - I can't decide, but it was written by Robert Kirkman (who wrote the graphic novels) so it should have been one of the stand-outs. I can't really understand why they chop and change writers through the series, it's only 6 episodes so surely that's not a big stretch for one writer to accomplish?

If anyone's interested, we've been reviewing each episode as it airs:

The Walking Dead - Episode 1: Days Gone Bye
The Walking Dead - Episode 2: Guts
The Walking Dead - Episode 3: Tell It to the Frogs
The Walking Dead - Episode 4: Vatos

Looking forward to episode 5 now!

pedromonkey 30th November 2010 01:05 PM

watched episode 5 last night and really enjoyed it, a bit of a sad one too but the cliffhanger ending was spot on....roll on season 1 finale...

Gojirosan 30th November 2010 03:08 PM

Yep Episode 4 was a good one - still not as good as Ep 2, in my opinion, but a step up from 3. Probably watch 5 tonight.

Gojirosan 30th November 2010 06:00 PM

I thought episode 5 was the worst so far: slow, boring, patience straining...however this means that they seem to be following a strange pattern of alternate dull and boss episodes and that if this is followed through, the last episode should be another corker.

Mahoney32 1st December 2010 03:32 AM

I gave up on this series after episode two. I've seen it all before to be honest. The constant advert breaks were a bit too much for me as well...

wayfarer 1st December 2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 114842)
watched episode 5 last night and really enjoyed it, a bit of a sad one too but the cliffhanger ending was spot on....roll on season 1 finale...

It was a short one, too. 35 minutes long?:shocked:

wayfarer 1st December 2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 114949)
I gave up on this series after episode two. I've seen it all before to be honest. The constant advert breaks were a bit too much for me as well...

That's when Sky+ comes into it's own. It can be recorded and then the ads can be fast forwarded. Otherwise, yes, the constant ads are a pain in the ass.

pedromonkey 1st December 2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 114956)
It was a short one, too. 35 minutes long?:shocked:

35 minutes long? the one i saw was 45 minutes, what did you see?

wayfarer 1st December 2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 115019)
35 minutes long? the one i saw was 45 minutes, what did you see?

It was a *cough* you know what. Obviously a duff one. I'm recording it every week on Sky + but I got impatient. Sod's law in effect.

orgasmo 1st December 2010 08:10 PM

Its being reported all over the web that the writers have been fired to be replaced by freelance for season 2. :eek:

Mahoney32 1st December 2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgasmo (Post 115076)
Its being reported all over the web that the writers have been fired to be replaced by freelance for season 2. :eek:

Surely they saw that coming? lol

Yikes! 2nd December 2010 05:07 PM

I'm actually enjoying the show more than the comic, even with the spritely zombies.
The comic is a great, but seriously depressing read at times. I doubt the show will ever get as extreme as the comic, but you never know. I'm interested to see how/if they introduce Michonne into the mix.

DJBenz 4th December 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 114890)
I thought episode 5 was the worst so far: slow, boring, patience straining...however this means that they seem to be following a strange pattern of alternate dull and boss episodes and that if this is followed through, the last episode should be another corker.

Gosh, really? Although I agree it wasn't packed with action, the emotional side of it was very touching. A real focus on the human aspect of the story and how they deal with the loss of their loved ones.

antmumford 5th December 2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBenz (Post 115452)
Gosh, really? Although I agree it wasn't packed with action, the emotional side of it was very touching. A real focus on the human aspect of the story and how they deal with the loss of their loved ones.

I loved episode 5 too. Touching and tense, nice and gory in parts too. Love the fact that they've headed off to a new location now, although it's not the same as the comic at all.

Aurora75 5th December 2010 08:51 PM

Still enjoying it, will wait until the series plays out before I read the comic so I can treat them both as separate entities.

Gojirosan 6th December 2010 10:44 PM

Just watched the sixth episode - the last of this first, tester series.

Sorry, guys, it's just not for me at all. There was some good stuff scattered through the 6 episodes, but overall I thought it was dreary and unengaging. I don't care about the characters and it is lacking in horror.

I'm don't think I'll bother with the next series. A big disappointment for me.

Too much like Lost not enough like Twin Peaks...

nekromantik 7th December 2010 01:25 PM

While I enjoy the series, I thought the finale was a let down. It did not go out with a bang.
Yes charcters were killed off but still it did feel like a finale.

Main reason I think is thats it was way too short, if they had 13 episodes from the start then they could have built up into a big bang finale. I will be watching season 2 however.

pedromonkey 8th December 2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 115842)
It did not go out with a bang.

thought there was a pretty big bang myself...

Loved the series, only character i dislike is Ricks Wife, a whiney, cheating woman who i could care less for. i don't know if its the way the character is written because i didn't like how Sarah wayne Callis played the character in Prison Break. Loving everyone else...except for that woman who was in the mist and desperate to get home to her kids.

I can see where people are finding a sort of dull ness, Episodes 1 and 2 were very action driven where-as the 3-6 have been more character driven but i like this. I think it gives us a feel for who the characters are. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to this that happened to Jericho, where we get a 24 episode season one, where we are introduced to characters only to get, after an insane fan campaign, a 7 episode second season.

thats my rant for now...

wayfarer 10th December 2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 116090)
thought there was a pretty big bang myself...

Loved the series, only character i dislike is Ricks Wife, a whiney, cheating woman who i could care less for. i don't know if its the way the character is written because i didn't like how Sarah wayne Callis played the character in Prison Break. Loving everyone else...except for that woman who was in the mist and desperate to get home to her kids.

I can see where people are finding a sort of dull ness, Episodes 1 and 2 were very action driven where-as the 3-6 have been more character driven but i like this. I think it gives us a feel for who the characters are. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to this that happened to Jericho, where we get a 24 episode season one, where we are introduced to characters only to get, after an insane fan campaign, a 7 episode second season.

thats my rant for now...

I agree. I can see why people might find it dull in places. But then what was the expectation on a US network show? it was never going to be zombie chowdowns every 5 minutes or the action movie style pacing of the DOTD 2004 film. I've enjoyed it like the comic book series. If I want an adrenalin fix I'll watch Dexter:)

antmumford 10th December 2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 116253)
I agree. I can see why people might find it dull in places. But then what was the expectation on a US network show? it was never going to be zombie chowdowns every 5 minutes or the action movie style pacing of the DOTD 2004 film. I've enjoyed it like the comic book series. If I want an adrenalin fix I'll watch Dexter:)

Here here...

I personally think it's brilliant and have loved every episode so far, some more than others. I have watched them twice over now and found I enjoyed them all more on the repeat viewing. Really looking forward to getting this series on Blu-ray.

nekromantik 10th December 2010 10:21 PM

I aint saying I was disappointed as a whole.
I did enjoy the finale but think it should have been more explosive is all.
After all thats what finale's are about.

Like Lost for example, a very character driven show but it always ended in a OMG or WTF cliff hanger. thats what im talking about which was missing from WD finale.

mercury 11th December 2010 10:27 AM

I enjoyed the series. Although the ending from last night wasn't a very good finale. This is the ending of an episode where you only have to wait a week for the next one. Not until maybe mid next year.

wayfarer 11th December 2010 12:52 PM

Given that the series was only 6 episodes, I thought it had a natural end. They didn't have the green light for a series 2 when it was made so it would have been more frustrating having a cliff hanger and not the pay off had a second series not been approved.

I liked the way the writers played around with the perceptions of fans that follow the comic book. I was one of those wondering if they were going to kill off Andrea (who has an important role in the book).

TWD hasn't been the most exciting show this season. Dexter takes that away with a nail biting season 5 finale coming up.