Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The Walking Dead (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/3882-walking-dead.html)

pedromonkey 2nd November 2010 04:57 PM

The Walking Dead

The best new show on television, watched the first episode last night and it blew me away, Frank Darabont has done a marvellous job adapting the Comic to the screen and Andrew Lincoln is fantastic as Rick Grimes. Very much recommended viewing...

Dr Shonzo 2nd November 2010 09:10 PM

The walking dead is exactly what television needs, I cant wait untill next weeks episode to see how he's going to get out of that tank!

pedromonkey 3rd November 2010 12:02 AM

yeah totally, that poor horse aswell...

nekromantik 3rd November 2010 12:59 AM

I loved it!!

Shame Darabont wont be directing more episodes.
:(

DeadAlive 3rd November 2010 08:19 AM

I'll be watching this on FX on Fridays. My understanding is the first episode will be shown without advert breaks.

wayfarer 3rd November 2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadAlive (Post 110906)
I'll be watching this on FX on Fridays. My understanding is the first episode will be shown without advert breaks.

You're correct. I've managed to go for a fortnight without downloading it so I can watch it in full HD this Friday. It has not been easy. Some Walking Dead "podcast" thing I added to my Facebook account gave away the spoiler about the horse. Twonk! It's not in the TPB.:rolleyes:

darthelvis 5th November 2010 11:25 AM

I've been re-reading the comics in anticipation of watching this tonight. This probably the biggest TV/Movie event of the year for me, closely followed by Tron Legacy which I'm well excited about!

antmumford 5th November 2010 10:27 PM

Well wasn't that the most amazing thing to grace television ever. Never have I winced, gasped, laughed and cried in one episode of anything. Just fantastic!!

mercury 6th November 2010 11:44 AM

I did enjoy this, but it didn't seem to offer anything new. Hoping that next weeks episode picks up the pace.

darthelvis 6th November 2010 01:26 PM

Loved loved loved it! It was good to see that they didn't rush through the story which hopefully means we will see this run into more and more seasons!

I was worried about the casting of Rick but think that Andrew Lincoln did a great job and looking forward to seeing him develop the character as per the comics.

My favourite comic of all time could very well be turning into my favourite TV show of all time.

If anyone hasn't read the comics before, I highly recommend they start.

DJBenz 6th November 2010 01:58 PM

Pretty awesome stuff. Good to see a strong presence from British actors in the first episode (Andrew Lincoln as Grimes and Lennie James as Morgan). Don't know about anyone else, but I found the 'return' of slower moving zombies a refreshing change from the undead that become Olympic standard sprinters once they come back.

I was also impressed with the way they spent a lot of time developing the characters. Essentially it's going to be a six-hour zombie movie, so shooting walkers in the head and the usual zombie set-pieces we know so well are going to become old very quickly if the series tries to rely on them, rather than engaging characters and storytelling.

Thumbs up from me, looking forward to episode 2. :popcorn:

Mahoney32 6th November 2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 110807)
The best new show on television, watched the first episode last night and it blew me away, Frank Darabont has done a marvellous job adapting the Comic to the screen and Andrew Lincoln is fantastic as Rick Grimes. Very much recommended viewing...

That Guy's Wife near the end of episode one, looked like Whitney Housten on a Crack binge...

mjarbar 7th November 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 111361)
That Guy's Wife near the end of episode one, looked like Whitney Housten on a Crack binge...

:pound:ROFLMAO:pound:

Seriously good show, nice to see little touches of Romero in there (a la headshot down the rifle scope). As I haven't read any of the comics this is based on this is going to be a real treat for me.

it is good to see the zombie genre getting the air time we all want as opposed to the 'vampire with a hart' type programming we have had in the recent past.

kingofwitches666 8th November 2010 12:51 AM

Loved it! Thought it was very poignant when Rick made a point of going back to the crawling zombie he'd seen earlier to put it down, had a lump in my throat. Quite powerful in places, like the fact it's very character driven & delves a lot into the human condition rather than just a pure zombie gore-thon, very Romero-esque. I do own the first volume of the graphic novel in hardback, think I'll be picking the rest up very soon. Roll on next Friday & Episode 2! :thumb:

antmumford 8th November 2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 111590)
Loved it! Thought it was very poignant when Rick made a point of going back to the crawling zombie he'd seen earlier to put it down, had a lump in my throat. Quite powerful in places, like the fact it's very character driven & delves a lot into the human condition rather than just a pure zombie gore-thon, very Romero-esque. I do own the first volume of the graphic novel in hardback, think I'll be picking the rest up very soon. Roll on next Friday & Episode 2! :thumb:

Here here :clap:

pedromonkey 8th November 2010 02:09 PM

just finished Episode 2 and it just gets better, a lot more zombie action and some more character introductions. Looking forward to the next episode even more now...

DJBenz 8th November 2010 03:44 PM

Damn you pedromonkey, I'm really looking forward to seeing it now! :lol:

Got the in-laws staying too so I hope they take an early night so I can watch it. :nod:

Dr Shonzo 9th November 2010 08:17 AM

Second episode was also absolutely immense, although i'm feeling a bit sorry for Grimes with his wife and all, cant wait to see how that all pans out, I have purposely not read the comics so i don't know any of the story line as my friend was saying that he really wished that he knew nothing as i did. One thing that gets me though, everywhere i go i get people saying oh the poor horse, damn horses get slaughtered everyday and no ones gives a damn haha, i say WHAT ABOUT THE POOR PEOPLE!!!

cyberschizoid 9th November 2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 111324)
I did enjoy this, but it didn't seem to offer anything new. Hoping that next weeks episode picks up the pace.

I totally agree. I felt like I'd seen it all before...

You guys might want to check out my review - :)

http://www.cyberschizoid.com/2010/11...p-to-hype.html

cyberschizoid 9th November 2010 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoney32 (Post 111361)

Ha ha ha ! That's so funny - I said exactly the same to friends when we were watching episode one! :nod: :lol:

DJBenz 9th November 2010 10:40 AM

Enjoyed episode two, but it was a touch lacking in something that I can't quite put my finger on. I think it was the introduction of the group and the lack of development of each character. Last week's was great, just two main characters and you really got to know them well. I guess we'll get to know the individuals in the group over the series, but for now they're a bit thin on detail. Michael Rooker was a blast, and I was quite surprised when he dropped the N-bomb in a network TV show!

My heart was beating pretty fast when they did 'the walk' so the tension was definitely there.

Thumbs up again and looking forward to next week.

pedromonkey 9th November 2010 12:44 PM

you were surprised by the N word? i was surprised they showed the hacking up of a zombie in absolute gory detail

DJBenz 9th November 2010 02:42 PM

:lol: They shot a six year old girl in the head last week, so on the gore-front nothing would surprise me.

wayfarer 18th November 2010 09:42 AM

@DJBenz - I'm with you on that one; Episode 2 did seem to lack something. Michael Rooker's performance was superb and gets better in episode 3. (Not a spoiler if you saw the "Next time" trailer).

I fear that Season 1 will end just as the plot's in full swing and we have to wait until November 2011 for more.:(

gag 18th November 2010 11:00 AM

Quite enjoying this
ep 2 i thought he prob get out the tank by some how starting it and just driving over the zombies and blowing 1 r 2 away but i was wrong but it would have been fun tho

antmumford 18th November 2010 12:00 PM

After the phenomenal first episode I became little underwhelmed by the 2nd one. It just lacked a certain something. What really pissed me off and what may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for this episode was that the zombies ran. It's called The Walking Dead for a reason.
I couldn't believe they started to run. They could even climb and hurl themselves over a 7/8 foot metal fence. :doh:
The 1st episode was a work of art and beauty so the 2nd episode kind of cheapened it a bit for me.
Oh well, let's hope tomorrows one will rekindle my love for it all over again.

:decision:

Oh and on a side not I watched it on FX HD and was it me or did the picture quality really seem to lack something on the 2nd episode?? It all looked a little 2D, flat and standard compared to the 1st episode which popped a lot more in HD and gave that lovely 3D like quality you expect from HD.

Sarah@Cult Labs 18th November 2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 113058)
What really pissed me off and what may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for this episode was that the zombies ran. It's called The Walking Dead for a reason.
I couldn't believe they started to run. They could even climb and hurl themselves over a 7/8 foot metal fence. :doh:

I think I should avoid watching this then... Running zombies have caused many an argument between me and my brother-in-law. Dammit, I was looking forward to this too! :censored:

mercury 18th November 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

After the phenomenal first episode I became little underwhelmed by the 2nd one. It just lacked a certain something. What really pissed me off and what may have contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for this episode was that the zombies ran. It's called The Walking Dead for a reason.
The 1st episode was a work of art and beauty so the 2nd episode kind of cheapened it a bit for me.

Oh and on a side not I watched it on FX HD and was it me or did the picture quality really seem to lack something on the 2nd episode?? It all looked a little 2D, flat and standard compared to the 1st episode which popped a lot more in HD and gave that lovely 3D like quality you expect from HD.

I too don't like running zombies:mmph:
I also thought that the second episode wasn't high def. I watched on virgin media and when I pressed info; there was mention of HD:confused: Usually it says if a programme is HD, sd or upscailed HD. But some HD channels broadcast sd on the Hd channel and just don't show the HD sign at the top of the screen.

wayfarer 18th November 2010 09:37 PM

I watched Ep2 on FXUK HD via Sky. No way was that HD. "Running" zombies? Nah! They move faster than the Romero zeds but I wouldn't say that they ran. The fence bit was a bit silly, agreed. Otherwise, they followed the Romero code. The series has stressed that the zombie cause is viral, a change from the comic book series that hasn't explained the cause, yet.

Mahoney32 19th November 2010 04:40 AM

Quote:

Episode one was directed by a Hollywood big-shot remember. Episode two wasn't.
Yeah, the "running" was a little bit "28 day's", and a little bit "Dawn remake" to be honest.
I enjoyed watching this episode, even though this show is trying a tad too hard, to be edgy and original. Was the random "Doggy" scene really necessary?
A fun series so far, But it is little more than your standard Zombie movie, stretched out into a TV series form. Nice to see Greg Nicotero on board. Noticed his name on the credits last week. Loved the scenes with that cool car in Ep 2 also...

antmumford 19th November 2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 113156)
I too don't like running zombies:mmph:
I also thought that the second episode wasn't high def. I watched on virgin media and when I pressed info; there was mention of HD:confused: Usually it says if a programme is HD, sd or upscailed HD. But some HD channels broadcast sd on the Hd channel and just don't show the HD sign at the top of the screen.

Ah ha I wondered that too. I noticed it didn't say HD in the top corner so I triple checked I had the right channel on. That's not good of them to play an SD episode on the HD channel. I specifically upgraded to a V+HD box for this series :(

Quote:

"Running" zombies? Nah! They move faster than the Romero zeds but I wouldn't say that they ran. The fence bit was a bit silly, agreed.
Well okay they were half way between running and walking, more of a lurching forward at top speed kind of way. Although after watching it back the 2nd time I did see several zombies in the background actually running in some of the more action packed fast scene. I guess they thought they wouldn't be noticed as much. Oh well, I still love the show and can't wait for tonight.

Quote:

I think I should avoid watching this then... Running zombies have caused many an argument between me and my brother-in-law. Dammit, I was looking forward to this too!
Sarah, do not avoid this programme. It is the greatest thing to grace our televisions in a long time. There's no way you can dislike something like this. Regardless of the semi running zombies, it's a work of genius!

vipco 20th November 2010 11:54 PM

I like the running zombies, much more menacing , though being chased is probably one of the most scariest experience's imho. as if your caught you know something bads gonna happen and that thought keeps playing though your mind the length of the chase. The scene in the Warriors were the Turnbull AC's in the bus chase The Warriors to the train station really disturbs and scares the hell outta me , and they're all alive, the thought of being chased by the dead is even worse.
If Zombies keep basic human instincts then surly running would fall under a basic human instinct .
Anyway,
Ant's right though, this is great TV Sarah, you really gotta watch this.

nekromantik 21st November 2010 05:33 PM

I dont mind the running zombies in this.
Last weeks epi was amazing!
In terms of TV shows I think its very good but not up to standard of Dexter or Lost but maybe in time it may get that way.

Must buy on blu tho!

Mahoney32 22nd November 2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 113543)
I like the running zombies, much more menacing , though being chased is probably one of the most scariest experience's imho. as if your caught you know something bads gonna happen and that thought keeps playing though your mind the length of the chase. The scene in the Warriors were the Turnbull AC's in the bus chase The Warriors to the train station really disturbs and scares the hell outta me , and they're all alive, the thought of being chased by the dead is even worse.
If Zombies keep basic human instincts then surly running would fall under a basic human instinct .
Anyway,
Ant's right though, this is great TV Sarah, you really gotta watch this.

That scene in The Warriors alway's gets to me too. I wouldn't want to be in that situation. This is probably why you wouldn't see me at the nearest football Stadium on match day's. lol

wayfarer 22nd November 2010 11:40 AM

This week's upcoming episode is supposed to rock! (Episode 4).
Yeah, zombie movement is a cause for much argument. At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to appeal to everyone, I genuinely like both, for different reasons;

Slow moving (in great numbers) because there is a definite threat here and it's long drawn out inevitablity can be shocking. Example; the bikers in the mall (Dawn of the Dead). Yeah, they're slow, but there's so many of them they can't get away. Day does that brilliantly too.
My favourite slow movers are those in Zombi 2. They act like corpses could; slow for the most part and they don't tend to look at you, they just move.

Fast movers: The Dawn remake showed just how scary a running zombie can be. The threat is very real yet how could a corpse run like that? But hang on! Didn't someone already do that? Mt Boyle, sorry, but whatever you say 28 Days Later is a film firmly stuck in the zombie genre.;)

I haven't seen The Devil's Playground yet but the filmmakers hired freerunners/Parkour experts:lol:

If I'm true to myself, I actually do prefer the slow ones, but there's room for both in my apocalypse.;)

vipco 22nd November 2010 12:56 PM

ZFE 2 had both walkers and runners and Lenzi's Nightmare City had running infected. I think the runners exsisted pre 28 Days and both have a part to play in the zombie genre.

Personally I dont mind which type of zombie is in a film , though I prefer runners in urban settings , especially when the zombies are the majority of the city's population . The slow shuffling zeds I prefer in rural or jungle settings like ZFE.

On the series, im really enjoying it but im struggling to like a few of the characters , especially the 2 Cop's.
I am hoping the black guy and his son make it and hope it regularly lets us know how they are coping , even if its only by radio comunication . An episode devoted to them and they're attempt to reach the survivors would be cool.

antmumford 22nd November 2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 113703)
On the series, im really enjoying it but im struggling to like a few of the characters , especially the 2 Cop's.
I am hoping the black guy and his son make it and hope it regularly lets us know how they are coping , even if its only by radio comunication . An episode devoted to them and they're attempt to reach the survivors would be cool.

You haven't read the graphic novels then I see :p

darthelvis 22nd November 2010 01:01 PM

Episode 3 was excellent and I have to say again that everyone should buy the graphic novels as they are fantastic. I'm hoping number 13 should be sitting waiting for me when I get home!

If they stick to the stories in the comics, there is so much great stuff to look forward to!!!:woot:

pedromonkey 22nd November 2010 04:09 PM

episode 4 is even better than episode 3 and it just keeps getting better...

BioZombie 22nd November 2010 04:15 PM

I've seen the first 3 episode and have to say I'm really impressed. What more could you want from a weekly zombie show, tonnes of gore, ace looking zombies and Michael Rooker!!!!! May the awsomeness continue.