Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2008, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

A warning to the curious is damn scary,as is the stalls of barchester,one scene in particular involving a clawed hand,thats all im gonna say.Can feel those goosepimples on me arms already.

They dont make 'em like this anymore,mores the pity!
Old 9th July 2008, 05:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I regard the Stalls Of Barchester as one of the more underrated adaptions.Robert Hardy was particularly good in this one & it does have some effective scares.
Old 12th July 2008, 07:12 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched the two of 'em and yes ,they're both enjoyable but I'd probably never watch 'em again,so I'll put them in the trades section if anyone's interested.
Of the two,I'd say Warning was the better,but Signal also had it's moments,especially the ghost at the tunnel.....
Old 23rd July 2008, 01:42 PM
Cult Rookie

I've got these two (plus Whistle and I'll Come to You) "saved for later" in my amazon account (along with Box of Delights funnily enough which I just re-discovered y/day). Gonna buy when the nights start drawing in again (which, as we now have some decent weather in the UK should be in about 5 mins). On the same subject of spooky brit TV does anyone remember Armchair Thrillers - specifically the one called Quiet as a Nun? The bit with the faceless, uh, nun rocking in the chair is responsible for what was probably the biggest brown-trouser moment of my childhood. Still hasn't been released on DVD. Gah!

Stalls of barchester sounds interesting.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan renzi View Post
I've got these two (plus Whistle and I'll Come to You) "saved for later" in my amazon account (along with Box of Delights funnily enough which I just re-discovered y/day). Gonna buy when the nights start drawing in again (which, as we now have some decent weather in the UK should be in about 5 mins). On the same subject of spooky brit TV does anyone remember Armchair Thrillers - specifically the one called Quiet as a Nun? The bit with the faceless, uh, nun rocking in the chair is responsible for what was probably the biggest brown-trouser moment of my childhood. Still hasn't been released on DVD. Gah!

Stalls of barchester sounds interesting.
The BFI ghost stories are OOP & may cost you a bundle if you leave it too late.Whistle & I'll Come To You is pretty expensive now.Luckily I recorded them of BBC 4 & some will more than likely be on this year too.
Old 25th July 2008, 01:50 PM
Cult Rookie

Thanks Mark. I had that trouble with the Beiderbecke Collection. Bought 'Tapes' and 'Connection' for about a tenner then people started asking near to 100 quid for 'Affair' (in a non-prostitute way you understand ). Had to wait about a year. Snapped it up, then they released a new box set. doh. I'll keep my beady eye on the prices and the Beeb

Last edited by evan renzi; 25th July 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 3rd August 2008, 08:08 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan renzi View Post
Thanks Mark. I had that trouble with the Beiderbecke Collection. Bought 'Tapes' and 'Connection' for about a tenner then people started asking near to 100 quid for 'Affair' (in a non-prostitute way you understand ). Had to wait about a year. Snapped it up, then they released a new box set. doh. I'll keep my beady eye on the prices and the Beeb

Shit! I seem to have unwittingly copied your avatar... sorry sir! I will find a new one a.s.a.p.!!

On the subject of these old, scary, brilliant Ghost tales for T.V. out of these 2 'A Warning...' would be my pick but it is bettered in every way by 'Oh Whistle And I'll Come To You', 'The Stalls Of Barchester', and, of course, the shitpant classic that is 'The Woman In Black'
Old 4th August 2008, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Lost Hearts and The Ash Tree are another two classic Beeb ghost stories.

And The Stone Tape is superb. One of the best.
Old 4th August 2008, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Stone Tape-heard of this loads of times,what's it actually about?
Old 4th August 2008, 08:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's about a team of scientists who take over an empty mansion for their experiments on recording techniques, who discover a disused room which seems to have something sinister hidden within its walls.

Won't give away any more reaps, but if you like 70s telly, creepy ghost stories and loads of atmosphere you should like this. I love it to bits.

Written by Nigel Kneale - it does have that sci fi / ghost story crossover feel to it, in the same kind of way as Quatermass And The Pit. Scared the shit out of me when I first saw it ( I was only 10 ) and it still creeps me out now!

Like this? Share it using the links below!