Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   The Signalman/A Warning To The Curious (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/555-signalman-warning-curious.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th July 2008 09:15 PM

The Signalman/A Warning To The Curious

Just ordered these two BBC Christmas ghost tales.....anyone seen them?
Any good?.....AND NO SPOILERS PLEASE!!!;)

EidolonFilms 6th July 2008 05:24 PM

Yes, both excellent. I shot a film on the same Steam Train Line used for The Signalman last year. Amazing place. The Box of Delights was shot there too.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th July 2008 05:25 PM

That's what I like to hear my friend......;)

Mojo 6th July 2008 05:33 PM

Yip - brilliant stuff reaper. Let us know what you think of them.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th July 2008 05:40 PM

Will do mate......

mark meakin 7th July 2008 02:12 PM

Of the two I prefer The Signalman with a fine Denholm Elliott performance but both are well worth picking up for fans of atmospheric ghost stories.I recorded them off BBC 4 along with The Treasure Of Abbott Thomas,Stalls Of Barchester & Lost Hearts one of the most famous of the BBC M.R James adaptions (Though The Signalman is from a Charles Dicken's story)I'm hoping the BBC will release a boxset of all the stories including The Ash Tree (which I also have) and Stigma & The Ice House (both of which I've never seen)I also liked View From A Hill & Number 13 the recent BBC 4 M.R James adaptions (though the older ones were better)

Mojo 7th July 2008 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 9313)
Stigma & The Ice House (both of which I've never seen)

Saw both of these when they were originally transmitted.

Ice House is extremely creepy, while Stigma has a fair amount of nudity... neither of them has been repeated ( to my knowledge ).

I agree the older BBC Ghost Stories were better though. I hope I'm not spoiling it too much for reaper when I say I think the ghost in The Signalman is one of the creepiest/ scariest ghostly creations ever! Unforgettable.

Whistle And I'll Come To You is another classic.

Totally agree with you mark - a collection of all the Beeb's ghost stories would make a fantastic box set.

mark meakin 8th July 2008 05:43 PM

I can't understand why the BBC are dragging their heels on this one.I gather the BBC 4 repeats & new M.R James adaptions were popular with viewers.:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2008 05:44 PM

Recieved them today,I will let you know what I think shortly....;)

mark meakin 8th July 2008 05:44 PM

My father told me about another creepy BBC one-off I missed called The Lorelei starring Amanda Redman I think set in Wales.I also liked the Nigel Kneale adaption of The Woman In Black on ITV.