Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
Intervention

Pawn Stars

Doug Stanhope on Intervention:

Old 2nd February 2015, 12:37 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Sound of Song (BBC 4), has an interview with Steve Albini on it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 2nd February 2015, 01:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Sound of Song (BBC 4), has an interview with Steve Albini on it.
Say what? I put that off when he started waffling about the Beatless etc....Iplayer!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th February 2015, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching the first season of walking dead which I'm really enjoying, is there a reason why no one calls the zombies, zombies?
Rik likes this.
Old 5th February 2015, 07:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Watching the first season of walking dead which I'm really enjoying, is there a reason why no one calls the zombies, zombies?
Just how they're referred to in the comics is all

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 5th February 2015, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying it

Can't wait for the next half of Season 5 to start this weekend
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th February 2015, 08:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Fortitude

Excellent first episode. Sort of The Thing and Twin Peaks on ice.
J Harker likes this.
Old 5th February 2015, 10:15 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Don't forget that they are never called 'Zombies' in Romero's original "Night Of The Living Dead" either

They are referred to only as ghouls!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th February 2015, 01:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Penny Dreadful. The Complete First Season. US/UK 2014.
Paramount UK Blu-ray. 1080p/1.78:1 – Dolby True HD 5.1 – approx. 430 mins.
Starring Eva Green, Timothy Dalton, Josh Hartnett, Harry Treadaway, Reeve Carney, Rory Kinnear, Billie Piper, Danny Sapani.

A new TV series including the well-known and dearly beloved characters of Mina Harker, Dorian Gray, and Victor Frankenstein, mixed with lots of vampires and other doomed and possessed creatures? I was all ears when I first heard of Penny Dreadful. When I found out that two of my pet actors were playing leading roles, I had even higher expectations.

The basic story is pretty straightforward. Africa expert Malcolm Murray (Dalton) is trying to find his daughter Mina who vanished without a trace. He is mainly helped by Vanessa Ives (Green), a close friend of Mina’s. Little by little, more and more characters join the hunt for Murray’s daughter, who is obviously held captive by some sort of vampire.

Apart from several minor roles (e.g. Simon Russell Beale as a hilarious Egyptologist, and legendary David Warner as Abraham Van Helsing), there are three more characters working together in order to defeat their common enemy as well as their own devils on the inside: Ethan Chandler (Hartnett), a trick-shot artist from the US, Victor Frankenstein (Treadaway), and Dorian Gray (Carney). Each single character is multifaceted. Whenever you think you know any of them, a new detail comes to light and gives the whole plot a new direction.

I will cut to the chase now: despite my high hopes, I was not disappointed. The main treat of the series is definitely the cast. Although I watched the eight episodes Argus-eyed, I could not make out one single weak actor or character. It is difficult to pick one specific actor, as they all more than just play their parts, but my personal favourites were the short appearance of Alex Price as Proteus (one of Frankenstein’s creatures), and Reeve Carney’s Dorian Gray. Whilst Proteus must be one of the most heart-warming creatures in cinematic history, this version of Dorian Gray is one of stunning beauty and charming arrogance. His encounter with Ethan Chandler at the end of episode 4 (“Demimonde”) is mesmerizing.

Another merit of Penny Dreadful is its production. During all eight episodes, you never have the impression that you are watching a TV series. The settings, the costumes, the visual and sonic effects, the lighting – the whole series looks like a well-made film.

Although I personally had the feeling that – at times - the series contained a little bit too much violence and could do pretty well with less sex scenes, I recommend this without reservations. The UK Blu-ray has excellent picture and sound quality.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDVD_015b.jpg (40.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_070b.jpg (27.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_188b.jpg (39.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_184b.jpg (69.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_270b.jpg (52.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_169b.jpg (48.3 KB, 38 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!