Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2015, 08:52 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
ALTERNATE POINT OF VIEW.

Not been posting a lot because I'm getting stuck in to Twin Peaks. While its imperfect It set the groundwork for a lot of subsequent American TV with high production values, occasional near the knuckle sex and violence as well as plenty of hidden details that invite a re-watch.

It's imperfect, The killer is revealed too early and some of the cast are adrift in season 2. The mike/nadine plot is a prime example, as is the James hurley femme fatale story line. The central Wyndham Earle story is still good however.

Interesting extras that compliment the show well including a deleted scene from early in the series that explains a lot about Audrey Hornes character motivation. Personally I'm still loving it, maybe the difference in opinion is down to remembering the show airing originally and it being unlike anything else out there at the time.

Not much more to go then back to regular old films again!

I can appreciate it is a game changer in TV and I too watched the original showing but don't think it is an interesting programme, take away the odd bits of weirdness and you are left with a soap opera that makes "Doctors" look like high octane viewing.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th April 2015, 09:21 AM
Cult Addict

About half way through HunterXHunter. Well, i'm coming to the end of the Phantom Troupe saga (Pokunodo just got offed so I assume we're near the end) and it's just superb stuff. Really well done drama and at time's far more serious than you would think possible.
keirarts likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 7th April 2015, 09:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
One of the other problems is the music irritates the f*ck out of me.
Me too, I had to skip the credits before each episode because of it!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th April 2015, 06:56 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I can appreciate it is a game changer in TV and I too watched the original showing but don't think it is an interesting programme, take away the odd bits of weirdness and you are left with a soap opera that makes "Doctors" look like high octane viewing.
You see I like the soap-opera-esque tone of the series. The soap within a soap helped give the audience a nudge and wink that its a play on the formula and outrageous plot lines of the American soap opera, but with a really dark twist.
Its personal taste at the end of the day, some people see loads in it some don't much like a lot of David Lynches body of work. Personally I think its miles better than terrible crap like LOST.
Old 8th April 2015, 06:58 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
About half way through HunterXHunter. Well, i'm coming to the end of the Phantom Troupe saga (Pokunodo just got offed so I assume we're near the end) and it's just superb stuff. Really well done drama and at time's far more serious than you would think possible.
It's great isn't it!? Sadly I heard the creator passed away so it may forever remain unfinished. Somewhat infuriating as the end of the series opens things up for a much bigger show.
Old 8th April 2015, 07:30 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Have you read the book BE?
Unfortunately not - how does it compare to the show?
Old 8th April 2015, 09:51 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Unfortunately not - how does it compare to the show?
It is done almost completely in dialogue and the sexual tension between the 3 kids is more heightened but less explicit. Worth a read, it doesn't take long either as it is short and written for kids.
Old 8th April 2015, 09:56 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
You see I like the soap-opera-esque tone of the series. The soap within a soap helped give the audience a nudge and wink that its a play on the formula and outrageous plot lines of the American soap opera, but with a really dark twist.
Its personal taste at the end of the day, some people see loads in it some don't much like a lot of David Lynches body of work. Personally I think its miles better than terrible crap like LOST.
Yeah, I get all that and as you say it is all down to personal taste. Oddly I loved the film, one of the few things by Lynch that I do like. At one time I really rated him but over the years my tastes have changed. Never seen LOST.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2015, 01:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Never a truer word spoken!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th April 2015, 02:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Invitation to Love also plays an important part in the narrative, with some of the events in the fictional soap opera mirroring or complementing what is taking place in Twin Peaks, so it's not there is an afterthought. Like you say, it is (at least I think so anyway) sometimes intentionally camp or silly as that only heightens the horror when Bob attacks or when Windom Earle is at his most sadistic.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!