Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:13 PM
Cult Addict

Started the first series of Black Sails tonight which i got fairly cheap one blu in CEX this afternoon.
Only managed episode 1 and it was ok. I'm hoping it picks up a little though. Some of the sex scenes felt a little unnecessary though, not complaining mind. Just that it felt a bit like it was trying to copy Game of Thrones a little in the random shagging stakes.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching a few series

Battlecreek
Ballers
Ray Donovan season 2
True detective season 2
Penny dreadful season 2
The blacklist season 2
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Those watching Wayward Pines, are you all keeping up to date with it, and how are you finding it.

Critics in the first week were throwing references to Twin Peaks here there and everywhere, I didn't see it myself, it's set in a northern town yes, but that was where it ended.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far, not watch ep 5 yet and 6 is on this week so need to catch up but it's well acted and the script is great. I wish there was more Juliette Lewis, she's not on our screens enough these days!

As well as Wayward Pines I'm currently watching American Horror Story: Coven. I'm enjoying it more than Murder House which dragged on for me and I skipped out Asylum because witches are my bag. Only about halfway through it so far but all of big name women actors are really going for it and giving it their all. Angela Bassett is pretty damn frightening as a voodoo queen witch!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd June 2015, 02:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Those watching Wayward Pines, are you all keeping up to date with it, and how are you finding it.

Critics in the first week were throwing references to Twin Peaks here there and everywhere, I didn't see it myself, it's set in a northern town yes, but that was where it ended.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far, not watch ep 5 yet and 6 is on this week so need to catch up but it's well acted and the script is great. I wish there was more Juliette Lewis, she's not on our screens enough these days!

As well as Wayward Pines I'm currently watching American Horror Story: Coven. I'm enjoying it more than Murder House which dragged on for me and I skipped out Asylum because witches are my bag. Only about halfway through it so far but all of big name women actors are really going for it and giving it their all. Angela Bassett is pretty damn frightening as a voodoo queen witch!
Agree I can't see why critics are comparing it too twin peaks, their as different as chalk and cheese
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I didn't get the Twin Peaks thing either with Wayward Pines (yes, it has pine trees but that's about it). For me it's more like a cross between The Prisoner, and as keirarts stated earlier in the thread, a '50s B-movie now the 'twist' has been revealed.
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't get the Twin Peaks thing either with Wayward Pines (yes, it has pine trees but that's about it). For me it's more like a cross between The Prisoner, and as keirarts stated earlier in the thread, a '50s B-movie now the 'twist' has been revealed.
I haven't seen Wayward Pines so cannot compare, but from experience if something is seen as quirky then it gets a Twin Peaks comparison.

Lazy journalism mainly.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran

That's exactly it, it's quirky and that's the go-to, just as aliens = X-Files.
keirarts likes this.

Old 23rd June 2015, 03:12 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen Wayward Pines so cannot compare, but from experience if something is seen as quirky then it gets a Twin Peaks comparison.

Lazy journalism mainly.
Indeed... Sometimes I think a 'Twin Peaks' comparison can actually be counter-productive when trying to establish a large viewing audience. I was speaking to some work colleagues about Twin Peaks the other week and they all commented that it turned into a 'really weird' show very quickly and they all stopped watching it when it was first broadcasted. Those same people may very well enjoy Wayward Pines but could be put off watching it by the Twin Peaks 'weird and quirky marketing machine' comparison.

However, I'd be lying if I said that the Twin Peaks comparison hadn't increased my personal interest in checking out Wayward Pines despite the fact that they're not at all alike.
keirarts likes this.
Old 23rd June 2015, 03:23 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far, not watch ep 5 yet and 6 is on this week so need to catch up
Curious, where are you watching it?? We've been watching it on NowTV and ep 5 is on tomorrow night?
Old 23rd June 2015, 03:28 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Curious, where are you watching it?? We've been watching it on NowTV and ep 5 is on tomorrow night?
More dubious means than British streaming services haha... a-hem..

Like this? Share it using the links below!