Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th August 2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 459856)
Finished Series 3 of Whitechapel, actually a week or so ago now. It was ok but nothing special, being played out as three two-parters rather than one story. Character arcs seemed to come and go, with characters behaving in some random ways then just carrying in as if nothing happened, as I'd the writers had ideas then abandoned them. Maybe the fourth series will pick up a bit but I'm not rushing to watch it.

I watched that a week or two and meant to write about it here, but completely forgot. I feel pretty much the same as you about it, feeling it benefited from several cases over six episodes, but the characterisation really took a backseat to the crimes, so the pregnancy and birth were introduced and then intermittently introduced when it helped emphasise something, rather than really humanise the characters. Also, the relationship between Morgan Lamb and Chandler in the last two episodes felt rushed and half baked, and should have been given much more screen time and weight. It would have been much better if Lamb was around at the beginning of the series so their relationship could develop over the six episodes rather than just two.

I've recently watched the first series of Friday Night Lights, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and the first season of Durarara!!. Amazon ruined the latter because the first two discs were sent out quickly, but there was a massive gap between discs two and three, then they sent out disc four before disc three. I don't think it's as good as Baccano! which, from memory, felt much grander in scope and with better developed characters.

Next on my list is the second season of True Detective, then Friday Night Lights season two, then the second season of The Strain.

Justin101 20th August 2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 459827)
A further episode from season 3 had Xena asleep through the majority of it and was all based on Gabrielle's stories - Another mad episode with sweaty love goddesses, and not in a good way, three all singing, all dancing, naked Gabrielle's, a powerless God of war and a finale of fish throwing madness. :lol:

Haha I love Xena loads - it's properly insane TV.

Make Them Die Slowly 20th August 2015 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Presently watching Wild, Wild West with Karloff as guest baddie.

iank 21st August 2015 08:36 AM

The Bill: Death of a Nobody. CID are baffled by the brutal, calculated murder of an utterly ordinary middle-aged man, for which there seems to be no motive - until they discover that the man just happened to share the same name as a supergrass about to testify in court against a powerful crime boss, and the investigation turns into a deadly race against time to rescue a woman and child being held hostage to prevent that same testimony. Gripping double-length episode with a shocking climax.

JoshuaKaitlyn 21st August 2015 08:47 AM

Falling Skies Season 4
OK! Season 1 has been sat on my shelf for quite some time and having seen the promos for the upcoming season 5 on Fox I thought it looked 'epic'. So I grabbed it and it started off ok. Earth having been already invaded and mankind fighting back as best they can. It was a simple 'invasion and occupying force met with a resistance movement'. But having reached midway through season 4 its become another 'V' theres now a hybrid blonde haired superpowered 'starchild'...what the hell happened? It was a half-way decent show! OK I'm willing to believe that there are stranger things in the universe then we can comprehend but to fall back on this old chestnut is just sloppy what next? A mech that says "Danger Tom Mason! Danger."

Make Them Die Slowly 21st August 2015 10:04 AM

I am also watching Dark Angel along with Xena and Wonder Woman on the Horror Channel. This has grown on me since I first saw it on it's original broadcast. It's hip for the time grungy look no longer grates and Alba's freaky, bee (hive) stung lips, no longer distract from the storyline.

However, who would win in a fight...Wonder Woman, Xena or Max.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st August 2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 459934)
I am also watching Dark Angel along with Xena and Wonder Woman on the Horror Channel. This has grown on me since I first saw it on it's original broadcast. It's hip for the time grungy look no longer grates and Alba's freaky, bee (hive) stung lips, no longer distract from the storyline.

However, who would win in a fight...Wonder Woman, Xena or Max.

The last Xena episode i watched was even more insane than the last. This was a musical episode, a proper musical with very strong violence for a show like Xena. Titled The Bitter Suite, you should check it out if you come across it.

Make Them Die Slowly 21st August 2015 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 459958)
The last Xena episode i watched was even more insane than the last. This was a musical episode, a proper musical with very strong violence for a show like Xena. Titled The Bitter Suite, you should check it out if you come across it.

Sounds great, I will keep an eye out for it.

Nordicdusk 22nd August 2015 12:54 AM

Just watched the first 5 episodes of season 2 of breaking bad I'm still enjoying it but I'm not rating it as highly as most people that's not to say it's not a good show. Still three and a half seasons to go so still time.

Frankenhooker 22nd August 2015 07:08 AM

Breaking Bad really hits it's stride midway through season two and doesn't let up.