Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2016, 12:09 PM
Cult Addict

Dead of Night, The Exorcism.
I watched this on the weekend. Actually the first episode on BFI's dvd but the second I've watched. I started with the rather more interesting sounding A Woman Sobbing.
Have to say while i enjoyed A Woman Sobbing, The Exorcism is where it's at for this series.
I've still to watch the middle episode about an airline pilot, I'll get there but it doesn't sound particularly intriguing.
So back to The Exorcism, a snobbish upper class couple invite friends to enjoy Xmas with them at their newly refurbished country retreat.
An old cottage restored and updated to include 'all mod cons' as the characters keep emphasising.
The episode starts with the borish though not completely dislikeable husbands discussing the cottage and the renovation work. Nothing else is really suggested yet though a few choice remarks about politics and essentially the working class are mentioned.
As the couples settle down to dinner odd things begin happening initially ambiguous such as a power cut but gradually becoming more...unusual.
I'll say no more but the dvd is more than worth the £7 i paid for this episode alone. Unlike A Woman Sobbing which looked incredibly cheap, the cottage setting in this one imbues a nice tangible atmosphere that AWS sorely lacked.
Nice to see Clive Swift in something too, I've only ever known him as the long suffering husband to that despicable cow Mrs Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances.

Last edited by J Harker; 27th January 2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 27th January 2016, 01:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Dead of Night, The Exorcism.
I watched this on the weekend. Actually the first episode on BFI's dvd but the second I've watched. I started with the rather more interesting A Woman Sobbing.
Have to say while i enjoyed A Woman Sobbing, The Exorcism is where it's at for this series.
I've still to watch the middle episode about an airline pilot, I'll get there but it doesn't sound particularly intriguing.
So back to The Exorcism, a snobbish upper class couple invite friends to enjoy Xmas with them at their newly refurbished country retreat.
An old cottage restored and updated to include 'all mod cons' as the characters keep emphasising.
The episode starts with the borish though not completely dislikeable husbands discussing the cottage and the renovation work. Nothing else is really suggested yet though a few choice remarks about politics and essentially the working class are mentioned.
As the couples settle down to dinner odd things begin happening initially ambiguous such as a power cut but gradually becoming more...unusual.
I'll say no more but the dvd is more than worth the £7 i paid for this episode alone. Unlike A Woman Sobbing which looked incredibly cheap, the cottage setting in this one imbues a nice tangible atmosphere that AWS sorely lacked.
Nice to see Clive Swift in something too, I've only ever known him as the long suffering husband to that despicable cow Mrs Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances.
Great wee turn from Swift in Hitchcock's Frenzy btw
J Harker likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd February 2016, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching the rather silly Sealab 2021 and Toast Of London.

l like to laugh.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd February 2016, 04:36 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

outsiders_mountain_M.jpg

A hillbilly mountain clan are given an eviction notice from local law enforcement when a big corporation moves into town and want to take the coal from the mountain the clan live on and promise plenty of jobs for the towns people.

This was the pilot episode so far so good but thats obvious enough Hillbillys are awesome
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default What TV Have You Seen?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454531268.423929.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454532258.400793.jpg

I enjoyed the pilot, but dear god in heaven did they get George Lucas to do the casting, the majority of the acting is dire, even cast members from flash/ arrow who are usually OK are poor in this, but it's so much fun I will continue
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 3rd February 2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Attachment 175296

I enjoyed the pilot, but dear god in heaven did they get George Lucas to do the casting, the majority of the acting is dire, even cast members from flash/ arrow who are usually OK are poor in this, but it's so much fun I will continue
This would be okay if we knew what you were on about.

What's the show called?
Old 3rd February 2016, 07:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This would be okay if we knew what you were on about.

What's the show called?
DCs legends of tomorrow, another spinoff from arrow/ flash
Old 9th February 2016, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ash vs evil dead

Excellent a fantastic mix of horror, comedy and gore. The CGI effects might not be so great but we have some fantastic old school practical effects with a great cast of likeable characters. All episodes were great ( especially when we reach the cabin) with little nods to the original movies . But of course it's Bruce's show and he's the one that makes enjoyable. A great horror series, I can't wait for the second season. 9.5/10
Old 10th February 2016, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The brilliant Happy Valley starts again this week.

Obviously i'll wait for the dvd though.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 10th February 2016, 03:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The brilliant Happy Valley starts again this week.

Obviously i'll wait for the dvd though.

Or as it's known around my way: Spot the local landmark

Because I work Tuesday evenings, I'm waiting until the weekend to watch it, loved the first series
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!