Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2016, 09:55 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Signed up to amazon prime. Decided to have a look at some of the shows.

Hand of god..

Ron Pearlman TV show had me sold. However its not amazing. It suffers from some structural problems and pacing problems however overall I managed to stick it to the end and don't regret watching it.
I believe Preacher is also on Prime. It was anyway.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th July 2016, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have recently watched:

Supergirl: Season One – a show I went into with no expectations because I haven't seen Smallville or any of the other recent Marvel shows which would link into this (the appearance of The Flash meant very little, for example). Overall, I really enjoyed it and watched the three discs very quickly, probably in the space of a week as they were sent from Lovefilm, with strong performances by Melissa Benoist as Kara/Supergirl, David Harewood as Hank Henshaw and J'onn J'onzz, and Calista Flockhart as a Cat Grant. I look forward to watching the second season later this year.

Pride and Prejudice – the 1995 BBC miniseries which introduced the world to Colin Firth and is a great piece of filmmaking. It is splendidly written by Andrew Davies, the man who recently penned the War and Peace adaptation and has written numerous other period dramas for the BBC. The entire series is superbly directed, benefits from a tremendous cast and high-quality location work and costuming.

Star Trek: The Original Series: Season One – which I hadn't seen before but had some preconceptions from how it is referenced in other TV shows and films. However, I quite liked the 'monster of the week' way in which the series works, with each episode usually involving a threat to the Enterprise or crew members on a planet somewhere. Some of the effects and costumes are laughable, particularly an exotic plant which is obviously someone under a desk wearing a fluffy pink glove and a dangerous alien which is not too dissimilar to the 'Gill man' from the original Creature from the Black Lagoon! Overall though, I quite enjoyed it and will watch the second season this time in September.

Mr Selfridge: Season One – another Andrew Davies-penned series, and another very well made period drama. It was something which I knew nothing about but added to my Lovefilm rental queue because I was looking through things Andrew Davies had written and hadn't seen, and it was sent from the 'normal priority' section. As with Star Trek, I'll check out the second season next month.
Old 31st July 2016, 07:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Robin of Sherwood: The Swords of Wayland (Parts 1 and 2). Robin and company leave Sherwood to help a small village being terrorised by masked men masquerading as demons... but that might not be too far from the truth after all. Arguably the most famous and iconic ROS story guest stars Rula Lenska as a respected Abbess who's actually the leader of a Satanist cult out to loose Lucifer on the world! Classic stuff. You'd never get away with this stuff before 9 0'clock nowadays!
Old 31st July 2016, 08:47 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also finished the latest season of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is great to watch at the end of a long day before going to sleep.

I've heard good things about Stranger Things so, after I have finished the second series of Grimm, which I'm currently halfway through, will probably watch that. Has anyone else seen this Netflix show?
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st July 2016, 09:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Caught the first 2 episodes of Wynonna Earp on Spike tv the other night. Not that great to be honest. Might check out the next episode to see if it improves, but it seemed to be trying too hard to be too many things. The baddies were pretty laughable too - trailer-trash from helllll!
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 31st July 2016, 09:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've heard good things about Stranger Things so, after I have finished the second series of Grimm, which I'm currently halfway through, will probably watch that. Has anyone else seen this Netflix show?
Yes as it happens we finished Stranger Things last night.
Basically a young boy in a quiet town goes missing, almost disappearing into thin air. Around the same time a young girl with a shaved head appears and is befriended by the missing boys friends. I won't give anymore but it is really really good. Think Steven Spielberg meets Stephen King and John Carpenter pops around to give them some tips.
Old 31st July 2016, 09:42 AM
Cult Addict

Also last night i started the Network anthology show Beasts, bought on a blind buy in the sale the other week.
First episode is called 'Baby' and concerns a city veterinarian and his pregnant wife relocating to the countryside. While taking down a wall to expand the kitchen a strange purpose built hollow is found, containing a large stone urn inside of which is the mummified remains of some unidentifiable creature. While not at all bad and could just as easily have been an episode of Thriller this does have slightly lower production values and whether its just this episode in particular i can't yet say but every one of the characters was thoroughly unlikeable.
Old 31st July 2016, 10:22 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Think Steven Spielberg meets Stephen King and John Carpenter pops around to give them some tips.
This is all you need to know, it's excellent.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 31st July 2016, 10:41 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Caught the first 2 episodes of Wynonna Earp on Spike tv the other night. Not that great to be honest. Might check out the next episode to see if it improves, but it seemed to be trying too hard to be too many things. The baddies were pretty laughable too - trailer-trash from helllll!
As someone who has lived in a camper/caravan/trailer for so long that at one point I seriously considered changing my name to Britney Spires (although that sounds like a bad drag queen), I know what trailer-trash from hell are like!

It ain't pretty, Bubba
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 31st July 2016, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another fan of Stranger Things here!
I decided to watch a couple of episodes on Thursday after work and ended up watching all 8 in a row, brilliant show!

Also, because I was sick of seeing and hearing everyone going on about Game of Thrones all the time, I decided to give it a try at the end of last month and watched all 6 seasons in about 4 weeks, another excellent show (I've also started reading the first novel too, first two books are currently in ASDA's 2 for £7 book deal).
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!