Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2016, 09:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Well I like it! It's got some teen soap stuff in it, obviously, but it's quite a good mystery thriller series with a very twisty turny murder/stalker overall plot.
Thanks. I see its a 12 certificate, so i imagine its more soap than thriller. Hmm, still unsure. 6 series for £29 though is rather tempting...
iank likes this.
Old 10th December 2016, 12:23 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Last nights Ghost Story for Christmas was the chilling The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974).

Absolutely delightful with one of the creepiest endings ever.
Old 10th December 2016, 11:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Last nights Ghost Story for Christmas was the chilling The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974).

Absolutely delightful with one of the creepiest endings ever.
Mine was The Stalls of Barchester (1971).
Old 10th December 2016, 11:59 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I haven't made a start on the Ghost Stories for Christmas yet as I have been watching the second season of Better Call Saul. It is a brilliant show which improves as it goes and the ending left me wishing the third season was made and ready to watch.
trebor8273 and Frankenhooker like this.
Old 10th December 2016, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Mine was The Stalls of Barchester (1971).
I love how that opens. Everyone waiting for the Archdeacon to pop his clogs. Really funny.

I went with the truly excellent The Mezzotint.

Both versions - The Robert Powell read one and the Michael Bryant reading from Spine Chillers.

The same story but both very different examples of James work. The Mezzotint is possibly my favourite James story and works wonderfully in this format yet i can see how and why it was never selected to be dramatized. The Powell telling with a little dramatization is just the perfect format as it shows how the Mezzotint changes in ghostly fashion. I do find it extremely chilling as the skeleton cloaked in black leaves the house carrying the baby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MezzotintBBC1986.jpg (94.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 10th December 2016, 01:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Thanks. I see its a 12 certificate, so i imagine its more soap than thriller. Hmm, still unsure. 6 series for £29 though is rather tempting...
Quoting myself, whatever next!

Anyway, i caved and bought the series 1-6 box-set. That's by my count about 130 episodes of a teen drama/thriller. I jolly well hope i like it or my niece is going to get a surprising unwrapped xmas present!
Old 10th December 2016, 04:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished first season of star wars the clone wars and started season one of red dwarf.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 11th December 2016, 08:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Pretty Little Liars season 5 finale. Framed and arrested as accomplices to murder, the girls are headed to the big house. Has "A"'s terror game reached its conclusion? Well, not quite. When the prison van is hijacked and the girls taken, the police finally - and I do mean, finally - start to catch on to the A game, but it may already be far, far too late. The girls awake to find themselves in a different kind of prison - an underground "doll house", where A Intends to keep them all as his/her "dolls"... forever.
Well, that's escalated.
Old 11th December 2016, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Recently binge watched all 6 seasons of Game of Thrones again (second time this year), can't wait for season 7 next summer

Still need to catch up on Ash vs Evil Dead and The Exorcist, missed a few episodes of both now
trebor8273 and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th December 2016, 02:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A View From A Hill (2005)

Another cracking Gothic tale, this time adapted by Peter Harness who went on to write a clever two part Zygon story for Doctor Who's 9th season.

Whilst it's not a top level James adaptation on the lines of the 70's likes of The Stalls of Barchester or A Warning to the Curious, it's still a cracking bit of eerie television with a shock ending - the unseen force dragging the poor chap up the hill to the gallows is wonderfully disturbing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!