All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th June 2013, 07:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
The League of Gentlemen
find it criminal how Little Britain ripped it off and diluted it in the process.
That's pretty much true, though Matt and David had worked with the Gents in the past, and Mark Gatiss worked as Script Editor on it. I'm looking forward to Reece and Steve's new series, though I wish the four of them would get back together again . . .
Zann likes this.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching the sopranos. In respect of James Gandolfini. An a amazing show and a fantastic actor.
Old 25th June 2013, 12:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just finished watching in weekly installments, the 26 episode run of Enemy at the Door.

The excellent drama which ran from 1978-80 about the German occupation of Guernsey. One or two episodes were a bit soapy, but on the whole the series dealt with serious issues - escapes, rape, murder, propaganda, for example. The shoe boasted some fine performances especially character actor Bernard Horsfall as Dr. Phillip Martel, the islanders go to guy. For me though it was the German officers who stole the show. Alfred Burke as Major Richter, the head of the occupying forces who displayed a certain kindness to the islanders and their plight. Alas for Richter, always waiting to pounce was Simon Cadell playing Hauptsturmfuhrer Reinicke, a sneering, visciously slimy SS officer. These two were ably backed up by John Malcolm and Simon Lack as other high ranking German officers.

The only major downfall for me was the fact the series finished with the death of one of the main characters rather than the defeat of the occupying German forces. It felt as if the writers were expecting a third series which wasn't granted by ITV.

If you are a fan of the brilliant Secret Army then i highly recommend Enemy at the Door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Futura-1377 Hall Enemy at the Door.jpg (53.8 KB, 4 views)
trebor8273 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 25th June 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching the Pilot episode of the Stephen King drama Under The Dome which premiered in the US last night. Must say I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for next weeks episode.
Few changes from the book, as to be expected, but overall I can see this filling the gap until The Walking Dead returns in October, Hannibal was supposed to do that, but I soon lost interest after about the 5th episode
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th June 2013, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
That's pretty much true, though Matt and David had worked with the Gents in the past, and Mark Gatiss worked as Script Editor on it. I'm looking forward to Reece and Steve's new series, though I wish the four of them would get back together again . . .
Go Johnny go go go go! That's where you get your handle right? I didn't know any of that about LB, I've never liked it or the nauseating catchphrases it spawned.
Old 25th June 2013, 05:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Go Johnny go go go go! That's where you get your handle right? I didn't know any of that about LB, I've never liked it or the nauseating catchphrases it spawned.
"Y' don't know Slippery Jack, Doc?"

Nah I got tired of LB halfway through the first series... I was a fan of their Rock Profile before that though.

I took a detour to Hadfield during my last job oop narth. Apart from the war memorial, there wasn't much to see really, still pretty cool though . . .
Old 25th June 2013, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Al Pacino hawking Sky Broadband. As if the day hadn't gotten off to a bad enough start with the news of James Gandolfini's passing,
Agreed on that one. Just seen it. He's no Kevin Bacon, that's for sure

Why would you hire Pacino and not have him DOING A LOAD OF SHOUTING ?
Old 25th June 2013, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I maintain my original sound line on this issue

I'll need to stop by Hadfield next time I'm in the Peak District.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Hannibal episode eight. A good one, as they say.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Agreed on that one. Just seen it. He's no Kevin Bacon, that's for sure

Why would you hire Pacino and not have him DOING A LOAD OF SHOUTING ?
Surely it would be better to get Rob Brydon doing Al PACINO to sell sky?

Slippery Jack likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!