Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th July 2017, 10:18 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
This lovely positive review makes a change from every time I see something posted about Wyngarde on FB (they pruriently focus on his personal life) so thank you Dem. Enjoy the rest ... the follow up is slightly odder
**** em'!

Wyngarde is brilliant. There wouldn't be a show without him.

Thank you by the way.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 27th July 2017, 10:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
**** em'!

Wyngarde is brilliant. There wouldn't be a show without him.

Thank you by the way.
Tis what this place is all about ... for me anyhow

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2017, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I'm a mere four episodes into Department S (1969/70).

A cracking series about three agents of Interpol's classified but fictitious Department S which handles cases too weird for the regular guys. It's a brilliantly pacy series of stand alone stories starring Rosemary Nicols, Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde as the marvelously moustached Jason King.

Whilst everyone makes a decent stab at it, Department S is definitely Wingarde's show, his general airs and graces are so obviously an influence on Austin Powers even though he seems to be playing it straight, or as straight as Wyngarde could play it.

As of the first four episodes the series is edging towards crime but with the fourth episode fantasy elements are beginning to take a hold which guarantees each episode will be something out of the ordinary.

For those interested the Network dvd set looks great, the picture is sharp and colours are crisp. The new bluray sets should look terrific.

I know after just the four stories this will be a hit with me and look forward to buying follow up series Jason King in the next Network sale.

I've just been perusing some of the episode listings for this over on Networks site. Sounds very very interesting Dem.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th July 2017, 10:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I've just been perusing some of the episode listings for this over on Networks site. Sounds very very interesting Dem.
In the episode i saw last night a plane lands with no passengers or crew on board.

No one has any idea except Wyngarde who comes up with a wild theory that the rest of Dept S scoff at, but turns out to be true.
Old 27th July 2017, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
In the episode i saw last night a plane lands with no passengers or crew on board.

No one has any idea except Wyngarde who comes up with a wild theory that the rest of Dept S scoff at, but turns out to be true.
Sounds good, like a proto X-Files or Fringe.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th July 2017, 10:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Sounds good, like a proto X-Files or Fringe.
Yes and no. The explanation although wild was plausible... just.

It wasn't aliens or anything like that.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 27th July 2017, 11:00 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Yes and no. The explanation although wild was plausible... just.

It wasn't aliens or anything like that.
Fringe was less about aliens and more about 'strange' occurrences, it did go into aliens later on but that's a minor spoiler

Network's sale has finished now hasn't it? If they do another one around Christmas time I'll keep this in mind.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 27th July 2017, 06:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've seen photos of the Jason King character and marvelled at the facial hair and wardrobe combination, but have never seen the TV show, so it's probably something I'll look to purchase in a sale.
Old 27th July 2017, 06:53 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I'm a mere four episodes into

A cracking series about three agents of Interpol's classified but fictitious Department S which handles cases too weird for the regular guys. It's a brilliantly pacy series of stand alone stories starring Rosemary Nicols, Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde as the marvelously moustached Jason King.

Whilst everyone makes a decent stab at it, Department S is definitely Wingarde's show, his general airs and graces are so obviously an influence on Austin Powers even though he seems to be playing it straight, or as straight as Wyngarde could play it.

As of the first four episodes the series is edging towards crime but with the fourth episode fantasy elements are beginning to take a hold which guarantees each episode will be something out of the ordinary.

For those interested the Network dvd set looks great, the picture is sharp and colours are crisp. The new bluray sets should look terrific.

I know after just the four stories this will be a hit with me and look forward to buying follow up series Jason King in the next Network sale.
Rosemary Nicols As Annabelle Hurst :-D
Old 28th July 2017, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Season four of Parks and Recreation.
zeroid and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!