Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2017, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Perusing Rising Damp.
Interesting to see that the opening episode is titled Rooksby , Rossiter's original character name.
Also of interest to see that whilst Rigsby is now remembered as the 'racially insensitive' one as both Beckinsale and de la Tour have uttered racist sentiments/perceived wisdoms so far.

On to Q8 shortly ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2017, 06:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good to see that South Park are back with another season – the 21st – and the first episode, White People Renovate Houses, is no letdown, with a fun commentary on the changing nature of employment, the pervasive nature of AI systems in the home and the Confederate battle flag.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker said they have real problems writing the show because it's hard to satirise Donald Trump, so they aren't going to bother, leaving the show with an 'elephant in the room' scenario which could have completely sunk the episode. However, the storyline with Cartman and his girlfriend, something which is reaping the fruit of seeds sown last season but never really rang true, is perhaps the best thing about the episode. There is no wholesale takedown of the border wall, though that is dealt with in the house reconstruction sequences. Nor is there a heartfelt response to Charlottesville, which could have been dealt with by Kyle and his "I've learned something today" speech, but there was a clever "both sides" line which I think I'll need to watch the episode again to appreciate fully.

It's a mixture of clumsy and brilliant but ultimately satisfying with the feeling better is to come.

Old 16th September 2017, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Good to see that South Park are back with another season – the 21st – and the first episode, White People Renovate Houses, is no letdown, with a fun commentary on the changing nature of employment, the pervasive nature of AI systems in the home and the Confederate battle flag.

Matt Stone and Trey Parker said they have real problems writing the show because it's hard to satirise Donald Trump, so they aren't going to bother, leaving the show with an 'elephant in the room' scenario which could have completely sunk the episode. However, the storyline with Cartman and his girlfriend, something which is reaping the fruit of seeds sown last season but never really rang true, is perhaps the best thing about the episode. There is no wholesale takedown of the border wall, though that is dealt with in the house reconstruction sequences. Nor is there a heartfelt response to Charlottesville, which could have been dealt with by Kyle and his "I've learned something today" speech, but there was a clever "both sides" line which I think I'll need to watch the episode again to appreciate fully.

It's a mixture of clumsy and brilliant but ultimately satisfying with the feeling better is to come.
Wasn't aware people still watched this
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th September 2017, 06:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I watched the previous season when it was on and bought it recently, but I'm not sure I posted that purchase in the appropriate thread.
Demoncrat, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 16th September 2017, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

South Park is still very funny, so thatl be why I'm watching it.

Just watched Charisma (ep 3) of Rising Damp. More commonly known as the one with the 'love wood'
Classic sitcom/farce with Rossiter going into overdrive at the end.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2017, 06:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
To be fair there's a few livestreams on YouTube everyday

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 16th September 2017, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished blood drive, really enjoyed this show with its OTT violence and gore.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 16th September 2017, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished Series 1. Which is the one most repeated it seems as all of them I remembered. Still a joy to watch.

Q8 ....
So far .... the most 'offensive' thing in it was the saccharine song Photograph that he sings

Looks decent enough ....

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 16th September 2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: What are WE gonna do now? What ARE we gonna do now? WHAT are we gonna do now? ....
Old 16th September 2017, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started season 5 of TNG, this season we see more of O'Brien than the usual odd episode , this is with him being in deep space 9 the following year. We were introduced to Ro Laren who was also going to be in deep space 9, but she declined and the kira nerys was written in to replace her. This season is notable for Leonard Nimoy return to the role of Spock, season also has my favourite TNG episode.
Old 16th September 2017, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

More Q8

Some spectacular racism. All excised from my dvdrs!!
Some spectacular corpsing (mainly Bob Todd)
And spectacularly endowed Julia Breck
And of course .... David "'e was in Cockleshell Heroes y'know!!" Lodge.
But those songs are all Skellern lite . Where are the bleedin' BBFC when you need them?

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!