Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2017, 06:55 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
So I was just having a little browse on Netflix last night not necessarily looking to watch anything but just see of anything new was of interest. I came across this

A rain soaked Ian arrives at a pub in the Scottish Highlands for his future brother in laws stag do. The brother in law and his mates are an odd assortment of man-children with more money than sense and Geography teacher Ian is clearly out of his depth. Following a night of boozing after which the group leave Ian to foot the bill the local gamekeeper drives the gang out into the remote wilds for a weekend of hunting.
Unable to cross a heavily flooded road and pissed off with the group's drunken antics the gamekeeper ditches them in the arse end of nowhere. Still somewhat innebriated they decide to make their way into woods and set up camp for the night only to soon find its they that are being hunted when one of their number is taken out by a harpoon. From the get go Stag is brilliantly written and acted although it has to be said it does feel its taken its cue from Christopher Smith's superb Severance. Fortunately it throws in enough of its own originality with a decent twisting plot. Some amusing characters and character development and a quirky line in surreal British humour. Highly recommended.
I haven't seen the television show, but it sounds a similar concept to the film 'The Stag', (AKA 'The Bachelor Weekend' in America):

"Self-confessed metrosexual Fionnan doesn't want a stag do, but would happily attend the Hen. Ruth, the now concerned bride-to-be (Amy Huberman), promptly persuades the, marginally more-macho, best man (Andrew Scott) to organise one. Reluctantly, he agrees but proceeds to do everything he can to stop Ruth's wildly infamous brother, known only as 'The Machine' (Peter McDonald), coming along for their sober, walking-weekend, excuse for a stag party. But 'The Machine', not so easily foxed, tracks them down, and what follows is a hilarious few days in rural Ireland where the Stags find themselves lost, shot at, stoned and butt-naked. The Stag is a hilarious and heart-warming journey of friendship, fear, male bonding, and tightly fashioned squirrel skin!"

Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th September 2017, 07:53 AM
Cult Addict

Netflix mondays.

Up to date with it's always sunny. Really looking forward to the next season if only because having Dennis develop actual humanity feels somewhat wrong

Then did Black Mirror. Great show and hard to pick a favourite episode.

Now catching up with American horror story. Only seen seasons 1 and 2 so started on Freak show. Really liking it so far. Highlights include Dandy mott and Jessica lange doing marlene Deitrich doing David Bowie...

Old 25th September 2017, 03:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've cracked open my Frasier box set again, that thing is huge with 11 seasons in it

I forgot how funny it is, I've been cackling away like a lunatic this morning watching Season 3. It was an absolute bargain when I paid £20 for it last year on Amazon Prime day!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th September 2017, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've cracked open my Frasier box set again, that thing is huge with 11 seasons in it

I forgot how funny it is, I've been cackling away like a lunatic this morning watching Season 3. It was an absolute bargain when I paid £20 for it last year on Amazon Prime day!

Do they not have Channel 4 in Liverpool, I’m pretty sure they’ve shown every season on a loop since it first started?

Still funny now as it was back then, I catch every now and then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th September 2017, 09:10 PM
Cult Veteran

I’m normally at work in the morning!
Rik, Demoncrat, keirarts and 1 others like this.

Old 25th September 2017, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I’m normally at work in the morning!

I know, I was winding you up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th September 2017, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Netflix mondays.

Up to date with it's always sunny. Really looking forward to the next season if only because having Dennis develop actual humanity feels somewhat wrong

Now catching up with American horror story. Only seen seasons 1 and 2 so started on Freak show. Really liking it so far. Highlights include Dandy mott and Jessica lange doing marlene Deitrich doing David Bowie...

I also very recently discovered Black Mirror via Netflix. An absolutely fantastic show that I'm nipple-clamping myself that I didn't watch sooner.

I'm also currently in an AHS vibe having recently just started the new series that has just been added to Netflix: Roanoke. Interesting concept, but not as good as the previous seasons (at least so far).
Demoncrat, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 25th September 2017, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Star trek discovery episode one, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz I'll continue with it but I was bored to death, puts do rest fears it was going to be none stop action
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th September 2017, 11:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Netflix mondays.

Glad to see Black Mirror gaining more fans. Not a poor one yet

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th September 2017, 09:03 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Star trek discovery episode one, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz I'll continue with it but I was bored to death, puts do rest fears it was going to be none stop action
I'm surprised because it was the non-action bits which were 100% Star Trek.
The season opening double episode is a prologue anyway so I don't think we can completely lay our judgement out. Michael gets assigned to the Discovery in episode 3.

However, the show-runner has said that it's not going to be a 'monster of the week' show like the other Treks were and this is a continuing arc for the whole season.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!