Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13829Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2017, 10:32 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm 6 episodes (out of 8) into the first series of Poldark.

It's actually very good, well acted and beautifully filmed. There's a nice mix of drama / action and romance with seemingly a lot more to come including smuggling and revolutionary France. I'll definitely be getting the second and third series.

Old 4th December 2017, 11:19 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm 6 episodes (out of 8) into the first series of Poldark.

It's actually very good, well acted and beautifully filmed. There's a nice mix of drama / action and romance with seemingly a lot more to come including smuggling and revolutionary France. I'll definitely be getting the second and third series.
Did you ever watch the 1975 Original series?
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:22 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Did you ever watch the 1975 Original series?
No, i haven't. It's one of those i've always fancied but never got round to buying. Robin Ellis is in this series by the way.

Was it good?
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:29 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No, i haven't. It's one of those i've always fancied but never got round to buying. Robin Ellis is in this series by the way.

Was it good?
The people I know who have watched the Original series dislike the remake,They say the remake is aimed at a newer generation.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The people I know who have watched the Original series dislike the remake,They say the remake is aimed at a newer generation.
I can imagine the new one is slicker and faster. Some of those old series are painfully slow and talky. I tried Upstairs Downstairs after loving Downton Abbey and Mr Selfridge which i whizzed through last Christmas and New Year and found it really hard going.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
I’m very pleased with the first truly faithful adaptation of The Punisher with the Netflix show, and then some.

Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle/The Punisher - a definitive portrayal. The characterization of Micro is more enriched than in the comics, given more emotional resonance, and his and Frank's chemistry is great. It has a poignant theme of war veterans trying to find their place in the world, and depicts the deep affects that war causes on their psyches. It’s satisfyingly dark and brutal, and the action sequences are intense and exciting.

The arc of Billy Russo’s origin story is far more interesting here than in the comics, and I cannot wait to see what they do next with the character. He is a much better, far more layered character, and Ben Barnes gives his career best performance. The finale is so satisfying. It was subtlety set up all throughout the season, and my anticipation was at an all-time high. I knew what was going to happen due to comic book history, but obviously, I just didn't know how it was going to happen, and when it did, it was one helluva a pay-off.

I still think Daredevil is Marvel’s best TV show, but this is a very close second, and it’s only had one season as opposed to Daredevil’s two, so time will tell.

My Marvel Netflix rankings:

Daredevil
The Punisher
Jessica Jones
The Defenders
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

total how i rank them, seriously dropped the ball with ironfist, which i think is down to the writer as he also did the dire inhumans, just seems the guy cant write for s***! mind after these two i doubt he will be find any work soon
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:38 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finished the second season of Bates Motel last night and will continue with the third tonight. I had already seen the first two seasons and felt like watching them again, only this time in HD with a view to watching the entire series in one go.

It's a show I watched with extreme trepidation because of my love for, and appreciation of, Psycho and was pleased to find the development of Norman Bates is interesting and engaging. The subplots about the marijuana business in the town are necessary to provide enough characters to move events away from the motel every now and again and introduce characters to create dramatic tension for Norma, Norman and the other principals.

Before that, I watched the three episodes of Gunpowder over two nights and was conflicted because it was long enough to tell the story, but could have been twice as long and gone into more depth around the political and religious events in Europe and the protagonists, probably being as interesting and engrossing.
Old 5th December 2017, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Vikings returned to the History Channel last Wednesday with the first two eps of its fifth series. It was a solid start that I really enjoyed.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 7th December 2017, 09:18 AM
Cult Addict

Godless

A Western series where the focus seems to be on the female protagonists. The series is set in the town of La Belle where a mining disaster has killed most of the menfolk. The Sheriff is going blind and has recently apprehended a wanted criminal who wandered injured into town and got shot by a local rancher. Unfortunately the outlaws boss/surrogate father Frank Griffen is hunting for him. Griffen and his posse are genuine monsters, hunted after they murdered an entire town of people. Its a slow burning, violent western that's cleverly written and has some great performances. Jeff Daniels is especially great as Griffen, one of the most memorable TV monsters of recent years. A complex, troubled man who quotes the bible while holding that the frontier is a godless place.

Dark

German Sci-fi Horror thats a mix of things like stranger things and Twin peaks. Its damned good so far however the english Dub is pretty terrible and Netflix seems to insist i change things to german with english subs with each effing episode which is annoying.
Old 7th December 2017, 06:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Dark

German Sci-fi Horror thats a mix of things like stranger things and Twin peaks.
Sounds intriguing...

Like this? Share it using the links below!