LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2018, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just an observation.

Being a Doctor Who fan where ratings figures seem to matter immensely i've always been fascinated by them. That and the sad stats tosser part of me that finds them intriguing.

The football match on ITV last night brought a whole new meaning to the words 'live audience'. It's generally agreed that tv ratings will never match the 70's and 80's heyday when there were only three channels until Channel 4 got in on the act in the mid 1980's. General tv audiences are down across the board thanks to the huge amount of channels we now have access to, not to mention mediums like Netflix, Amazon and I-Player.

For an ITV program to peak at almost 24 million viewers is an unbelievable figure in 2018 and just goes to show that the viewers are still there and will unite if something is worth watching. Perhaps this is something worth thinking about to the producers of the likes of Eastenders, The X Factor and all the other shows with declining viewing figures - things have become stale. Make it fresh and exciting and you will get viewers.

My own fave - Doctor Who lost around three million viewers during the Peter Capaldi era which is why the new show runner, Chris Chibnall, decided to make the new Doctor a woman. It may work, it might not but at least they are addressing the decline in viewers.

Interestingly, ITV must have made a hell of a lot of money from advertisers as the five minute viewer breakdown shows - 20.76m (76.7% of the whole tv audience) were watching at 21:00, between full time and extra time and 21.98m (77.1%) were watching at 21:40, between extra time and penalties.

That's an awful lot of people watching an advert for a Volkswagen T-Roc as it meets it's match with a black sheep.
The semi final on ITV had a peak viewing of 26.5million and an 83% tv audience share. That's without those who watched in parks, pubs and clubs.

No wonder rights to sporting events go for so much money as tv companies bid for them.
Rik likes this.
Old 12th July 2018, 02:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
The semi final on ITV had a peak viewing of 26.5million and an 83% tv audience share. That's without those who watched in parks, pubs and clubs.

No wonder rights to sporting events go for so much money as tv companies bid for them.
In America the Superbowl is watched by so many viewers here what it can cost just to advertise .

Bowl XLIX, also broadcast by NBC, surpassed that record with a base price of $4.5 million. Media executives projected that the cost of a 30-second commercial could exceed $5 million at Super Bowl 50, a figure that CBS confirmed
Old 12th July 2018, 02:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I guess it's because it's something which has to be watched live for best effect; TV dramas and comedies are not quite the same.

As a prime example, I finished watching The Woman in White last night, the (relatively) recent BBC adaptation of Wilkie Collins' novel starring Dougray Scott, Jessie Buckley, Olivia Vinall, Ben Hardy, Art Malik, Charles Dance and many others including Joanne Scanlon. It's something which occasionally tried my patience but is beautifully filmed and extremely well acted.

I don't think it's as good as the classic literature adaptations by Andrew Davies (Bleak House, War & Peace, Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility) but it's a case where your patience is rewarded because the slow burning nature of the drama, told in five separate hour-long episodes, means you are (or would hopefully be) emotionally invested in the characters. There was a time towards the end where the events reminded me of The Dark Angel, possibly because there are similarities between the source material for that series and Wilkie Collins novel.

I'm glad I've seen The Woman in White, but I don't think it's something I, unlike the Dickens adaptations, feel a great need to revisit.
Old 13th July 2018, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Still Peaking ....

Well the 2nd came to an exciting climax. All of them competing to see who can SHOUT the most incomprehensible nonsense . Far mair graphic. This was on on Sunday??? Lawdy ye big eejit .... . Onto the 3rd.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2018, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished season one of Luther, Idris Elba is a great actor, know this will be unpopular but I would like too see him as the next Bond.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 14th July 2018, 09:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Found Preacher 2. Catching up .... happy Demon me.
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th July 2018, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Finished season one of Luther, Idris Elba is a great actor, know this will be unpopular but I would like too see him as the next Bond.
A very good series, all three episodes or however many there are. Have you got the second?

Alice is great isn't she?

Elba did a good showcase for Bond in the excellent Paris set thriller The Take.

Old 14th July 2018, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
A very good series, all three episodes or however many there are. Have you got the second?

Alice is great isn't she?

Elba did a good showcase for Bond in the excellent Paris set thriller The Take.

Watching them on Netflix . Yep Alice is great ,was nice too see Paul McCann in something
Old 15th July 2018, 12:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Preacher 2 .... fair rattling through it. Still dying to see how far they take it

[B]
Old 15th July 2018, 11:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw a young Simon Rouse (DCI Meadows from The Bill) as a Constable in the 1975 episode of Whodunnit? I saw the other day. He was great too!

Like this? Share it using the links below!