Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th August 2018, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Taking a break from Thrones to watch the first episode of Castle Rock, really enjoyed it, plenty of Easter eggs for Stephen King fans, some more obvious than others
I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. For some reason I thought it was going to be an anthology series, but it seems to have a recuring cast. Can you tell what the story is about yet from the first episode?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th August 2018, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm looking forward to this quite a bit. For some reason I thought it was going to be an anthology series, but it seems to have a recuring cast. Can you tell what the story is about yet from the first episode?
Yes a young man is found in a closed part of the shawshank prison when the old warden kills himself , a lawyer returns to town many years later after leaving and hears about the young man, the town believe that the lawyer killed his own farther, we also have a few other stories going. But the young man seems to be the one to tie it all together
Justin101 likes this.
Old 12th August 2018, 08:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’ve watched the first 5 episodes, it’s really good
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th August 2018, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching voyage to the bottom of the sea.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 14th August 2018, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After a wee technical hitch am catching up with Preacher. Doolally is the word even if you have read it

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th August 2018, 09:29 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
After a wee technical hitch am catching up with Preacher. Doolally is the word even if you have read it
I watched, and thoroughly enjoyed, the first season, so the others are on my (very long) watchlist.

The last few series I've watched were the third of Twin Peaks, something which baffles, beguiles and leaves me wanting more (possibly in the form of a third viewing).

Because they've recently aired the final episodes, I also finished watching the second seasons of The Handmaid's Tale and Versailles, neither of which were as gripping as the first. In the case of the events in Gilead, the season finished in such a way that I'm eagerly anticipating a third season, something I didn't think would be the case while I was watching the first six or so episodes.

I also saw the last episode of Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema, a series he co-wrote with Kim Newman, and has featured engrossing and fascinating breakdowns of the formula behind rom-coms, heist, and coming of age films as well as the major themes within the sci-fi and horror genres. I'm glad I recorded the series because the episodes are like lectures at film school and features so many references to films I haven't seen that I will have a long watchlist/shopping list of films I either haven't seen or haven't seen in a long time and will want to see before giving the series another viewing.

The amount of information and level of details in each episode is remarkable and it's delivered almost effortlessly by Kermode, who says sentences with reasonably high-level film terms in the same way as most people would do if reading a basic shopping list, so it isn't something for people with a passing interest in film and more for those with a semi-academic understanding of film, either through watching and reading at home or studying at college or university. It would be a good introduction to the different ways of looking at films for someone about to do an A-level in film studies or even a degree in English and film, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a book by Kermode and Newman released in the next couple of months.
Old 15th August 2018, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Am catching up with Kermode shortly ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th August 2018, 03:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching the 80s version of the twilight zone and it's not a patch on the original , that was timeless with rarely a bad story, while this is just awful half way through the season and lucky if been one of two decent stories, the rest are terrible and we even have well knowing good actors and even they can't improve the stories. While the original is ageless this has aged badly and one i will be getting rid of.
Old 17th August 2018, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Sweeney "Cover Story" (episode 8)
Regan shacks up with a journo in this rather wacky excerpt ... flamenco dancing!
Luckily not by Jack ... . It all ends up on a rubbish tip like if wot that Samuel Beckett 'ad written it knowoddimean? Ahem. One of those moments where you can see a series trying to find its feet so to speak ...

[B]
Old 17th August 2018, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After watching the Kermode horror episode ... on reflection I'd prefer to hear that Polish geezer with the lisp tbh (never remember his name) ....

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!