Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

trebor8273 22nd October 2018 06:44 PM

Finished episode 4 of season 3 of Daredevil, wow what an episode the fight scene in the prison was amazing more so when it was all done in one shot.

iank 22nd October 2018 10:24 PM

Have bought the complete set of the iconic 70s cop show The Sweeney, and saw the first episode last night, which I really enjoyed. I'm glad I made sure to get the remastered set too, as the episodes look very nice. :ghostclap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd October 2018 01:30 PM

I finished watching the third of three series on iPlayer which I had been wanting to watch since the beginning of the month, if not before: Bodyguard, Killing Eve, and Trust.

Given this series was dubbed "the show everyone is talking about" in several publications, I managed to miss any spoilers for the latest series by Jed Mercurio, one which began with an incredibly tense sequence on a train and, following the titular personal protection officer, managed to weave a gripping web which I hope is fully resolved in a second season.

I didn't know Killing Eve had been shown in the US several months ago and was pleased to find out halfway through that another season has been commissioned because the wonderful game of cat and mouse between a psychopathic assassin and government trying to catch her is occasionally funny and occasionally very brutal. It's blackly comic and superbly acted, so watch it if you have the time.

Trust is entirely different as it is based on real events and is a very serious and occasionally disturbing drama about a period in the life of John Paul Getty, at the time one of the richest people in the world, and someone who didn't get that way by being nice. This generally concentrates on the period when his nephew, John Paul Getty III is apparently kidnapped and a ransom demanded, one which the old businessman has no intention of paying. As he sees it, he has plenty of grandchildren and doesn't want to set a precedent by letting people use them to extort money from him. Donald Sutherland is astonishingly good in the main role and it's clear a lot of time, research, and resources have gone into making this 10 hour series as realistic and compelling as possible. Again, highly recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 591134)
I finished watching the third of three series on iPlayer which I had been wanting to watch since the beginning of the month, if not before: Bodyguard

Given this series was dubbed "the show everyone is talking about" in several publications, I managed to miss any spoilers for the latest series by Jed Mercurio, one which began with an incredibly tense sequence on a train and, following the titular personal protection officer, managed to weave a gripping web which I hope is fully resolved in a second season.

I thought i might buy Bodyguard. I think it's only £13 on dvd which isn't bad. Like you i know nothing about it.

There's a new Le Carre adaptation starting this Sunday - The Little Drummer Girl. Think i'll watch it live. Should be a good evenings entertainment - Doctor Who, a forty minute break then a good drama.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd October 2018 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 591138)
I thought i might buy Bodyguard. I think it's only £13 on dvd which isn't bad. Like you i know nothing about it.

There's a new Le Carre adaptation starting this Sunday - The Little Drummer Girl. Think i'll watch it live. Should be a good evenings entertainment - Doctor Who, a forty minute break then a good drama.

As you liked The Night Manager, I think you'd enjoy Bodyguard. Both are very well plotted and include a mix of action and political machinations. The acting calibre in The Night Manager is probably higher but they both feature very high production values and you are never quite sure of anyone's agenda and, if you think you have it figured out, it makes you question your own morals in that scenario.

Like you say, £13 for the DVD set isn't bad because it is something which (personally speaking) I would return to to watch with a full knowledge of what was happening and why, then have a break and watch again when my memory of all the different narrative and character arcs is a bit fuzzy!

I've heard of The Little Drummer Girl and will probably put it on a season record on my V+ box. I haven't seen any of the new Doctor Who yet, but could watch the first three episodes this evening; I did enjoy the Christmas special, which was the first episode I have probably ever seen.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd October 2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 591144)
I haven't seen any of the new Doctor Who yet, but could watch the first three episodes this evening; I did enjoy the Christmas special, which was the first episode I have probably ever seen.

I'd be interested in knowing what you think of this new series.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd October 2018 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 591145)
I'd be interested in knowing what you think of this new series.

Like I say, it would be from the perspective of someone who has no opinions on any of the previous incarnations of The Doctor and therefore no point of comparison. I'll be able to judge it on its merits rather than how it compares to previous series.

Hopefully that will be interesting for you to see.

bleakshaun 25th October 2018 07:41 PM

The Apprentice, episode 4 - Bodybuilding Expo
The guy who got fired deserved it, a load of hot bods and muscles, but not so cringey this time surprisingly.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Gigantor 26th October 2018 04:57 AM

STAN AGAINST EVIL Just starting watching Season 1.I'm only a couple episodes in but so far so good

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th October 2018 02:27 PM

Tonight's new BBC1 series The Little Drummer Girl based on a John Le Carre novel is, i've just found out, directed by Park Chan-wook.

The same Park Chan-wook who directed Old Boy, Stoker, Lady Vengeance, Snowpiercer and The Hand Maiden among others.