Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Television (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=567)
-   -   What TV Have You Seen? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/television/7170-what-tv-have-you-seen.html)

J Harker 8th April 2016 10:28 PM

Yes over Xmas.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th April 2016 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484741)
And Then There Were None. (2015)

An excellent first episode. Set up really nicely with everyone a suspect in this dark, brooding take on the Agatha Christie classic. A fine cast including Charles Dance, Sam Neill, Toby Stephens and Aiden Turner are on top of their game and a pounding sinister score keeps you on edge in this delightful piece of Gothic.

I'll watch the final two episodes tomorrow night. Seemingly another classic from the BBC. Highly recommended.

I watched them both over Christmas when they were on TV and on the whole really enjoyed it. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 484766)
I watched them both over Christmas when they were on TV and on the whole really enjoyed it. :nod:

Good to hear. I'll watch the rest tonight.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2016 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Watched the first two episodes of Doomwatch last night. Well the first and the fourth as not every episode remains thanks to the BBC's scrapping scheme in the 70's.

Both rather enjoyable. The first one was perhaps the best with it's melting plastic virus which threatens an aircraft storyline, although the second tale of carnivorous bred rats was rather gruesome.

The only downside possibly is the fact both episodes seemed a little studio bound, i hope there's much more location shooting in future episodes. There should be as the whole thing is about threats to the environment and so forth.

The whole Doomwatch team are good characters and well written and i think i'll really enjoy the 24 or so episodes in thie box set.

The episodes themselves are of good quality. Not as good as the Doctor Who episodes from the same time as they were exceptional thanks to the restoration team's vidfire technology, however Doomwatch was in good shape for archive tv that wasn't shot on film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2016 10:40 PM

The final two episodes were terrific. Beautifully Gothic with some suitably grim murders and a lovely downbeat ending. Beforehand i had no idea how it ended but i did guess the killer.

Must give Five Dolls for an August Moon another watch this week.

J Harker 9th April 2016 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484865)

The final two episodes were terrific. Beautifully Gothic with some suitably grim murders and a lovely downbeat ending. Beforehand i had no idea how it ended but i did guess the killer.

Are they related Dem??

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 484867)
Are they related Dem??

Pretty much, it's an adaptation of Christie's novel Bava doesn't say so but it is.

A small group of people come to an island to relax but soon find themselves trapped on the island with a murderer in their midst.

J Harker 9th April 2016 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484868)
Pretty much, it's an adaptation of Christie's novel Bava doesn't say so but it is.

A small group of people come to an island to relax but soon find themselves trapped on the island with a murderer in their midst.

Didn't realise that. Roll on the next Arrow sale. [emoji1]

Justin101 10th April 2016 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484868)

Bay of Blood is loosely based on the same story isn't it? It's hard to tell though Christie, while being good at what she did was a bit of a one trick pony haha

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 484865)

Glad you enjoyed it Dem.

I highly recommend the 1945 film if you haven't seen it too.

http://primer.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=7e801edf07

It's possibly my favourite adaptation of Christie's 'Ten Little Indians' tale.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 484894)
Glad you enjoyed it Dem.

I highly recommend the 1945 film if you haven't seen it too.

http://primer.a.ltrbxd.com/resized/f...g?k=7e801edf07

It's possibly my favourite adaptation of Christie's 'Ten Little Indians' tale.

Thanks for that, B_E. I'll have a look for it.

Susan Foreman 11th April 2016 06:55 AM

I'm enjoying the 'Penn And Teller - Fool Us In Vegas' show on Channel 5 on Sunday evening

It's a mixture of new magicians, who try to do a trick which leave Penn and Teller baffled, and then the boys doing a trick of their own at the end

Sadly it has Jonathan Ross in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8osRaFTtgHo

It's a shame that the film 'Penn And Teller Get Killed' is only available as a region 1 release - maybe it's something that Arrow or 88Films could look into?

trebor8273 11th April 2016 07:46 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...ec94749406.jpg

Forgotten what a great show this is, one of those shows that once you watch one episode you can help but watch another and the another. A wonderful and likeable cast of characters. A great spy spoof that's funny as well as griping and exciting with lots great pop culture references

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th April 2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485027)
Forgotten what a great show this is, one of those shows that once you watch one episode you can help but watch another and the another. A wonderful and likeable cast of characters. A great spy spoof that's funny as well as griping and exciting with lots great pop culture references

I've never heard of this but recall you'd bought a few series of it a while back. Do you recommend it?

Oh, and who's the blonde?

trebor8273 11th April 2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485029)
I've never heard of this but recall you'd bought a few series of it a while back. Do you recommend it?

Yes. It's not that well knowing but as I've said its one of those shows once you watch one you want to watch another. It also has some pretty good guest stars and it has Adam Baldwin who's always fun to watch

trebor8273 11th April 2016 07:56 PM

Ohh and it has this. Yvonne Strahovski

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...016cf8e52f.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...0f0e4e5e5e.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...1e91ce4cc8.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...deee872aea.jpg

Justin101 11th April 2016 08:27 PM

Did Kevin Smith have something to do with the pilot/first season? I may be thinking of another show though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin101 11th April 2016 08:32 PM

What TV Have You Seen?

I've just checked on IMDb and it was Reaper not Chuck... My memory's not what it used to be haha

trebor8273 11th April 2016 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 485033)
Did Kevin Smith have something to do with the pilot/first season? I may be thinking of another show though...

It might be Veronica Mars which was a big fan of and appeared in the episode driver ed

Justin101 11th April 2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485035)
It might be Veronica Mars which was a big fan of and appeared in the episode driver ed

It was Reaper! But I love Veronica Mars.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

gag 11th April 2016 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 484964)
I'm enjoying the 'Penn And Teller - Fool Us In Vegas' show on Channel 5 on Sunday evening

It's a mixture of new magicians, who try to do a trick which leave Penn and Teller baffled, and then the boys doing a trick of their own at the end

Sadly it has Jonathan Ross in it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8osRaFTtgHo

It's a shame that the film 'Penn And Teller Get Killed' is only available as a region 1 release - maybe it's something that Arrow or 88Films could look into?

I enjoyed first series.
But keep forgetting its on, only seen one episode of series 2. It was the one where he used the mini plunger to pick the cards up with.

trebor8273 12th April 2016 04:24 PM

last episode of season 2 of star wars rebels. excellent stuff also very dark for what is supposed to be a kids show. been a great season with the return of Ahsoka and someone long thought dead in the last episode. if you are a star wars fan, do yourself a favor and watch it

trebor8273 14th April 2016 04:38 PM

Department S

Just watched the first episode of the series, first off the picture quality like a lot of the ITC shows is fantastic, so much that I can't see a blu Ray release looking too much better.

Department S is a secret department of Interpol that investigate strange cases. The department members are flamboyant novelist Jason King (Peter "truck stop" Wyngarde), department head Stewart Sullivan ( Joel Fabiani ) and secretary Annabella Hill ( Rosemary Nicolos). Their first case involves an airplane that asks to land at London airport we soon learn that the plane has been missing for six days, it's up to our intrepid team to figure and how and why. On the whole very enjoyable and if you enjoy other ITC shows I would say it worth picking up in the sale.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th April 2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485482)
Department S

Is it studio bound or is there location work as well?

trebor8273 14th April 2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485483)
Is it studio bound or is there location work as well?

i would say some location work, but as it takes place in the airport and around London I might be wrong. Will now better after viewed some more episodes

Edit

Just did research online and it looks like it's studio bound.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_S_(TV_series)

trebor8273 14th April 2016 07:49 PM

Watched the second episode of department s, a episode of the invaders , the Saint and a couple of UFO which is just as good as I remember with its fantastic model work, groovy 60s vibe (even if it's supposed to be set in the early 80s) and of course who can forget the sexy ladies of moo base. Will probaly watch a episode of the persuaders next

Demoncrat 15th April 2016 11:06 AM

Have been watching Childrens Hospital, a very silly spoof of Greys Anatomy etc.

Have also been watching the not silly at all Horace & Pete, written by Louis CK, the US stand up. Basically a play in ten parts about a family bar, Cheers it isn't!!

trebor8273 15th April 2016 04:13 PM

The Persuaders

Absolutely fantastic, Lord Brett Sinclair (Roger Moore ) and Danny Wilde ( Tony Curtis ) a self made millionaire from the Bronx are brought together by an retired judge under the threat of prison time to help him find a mobster that the judge thinks faked his own death. The duo share a love a good living , beautiful woman, fast cars and adventure. The picture quality is stunning lots of rich bright colours, shot on location which looks stunning. But the real highlight of the show is the amazing chemistry between the two stars. Nearly all the scenes with them together are a joy to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IldiTo2ZMNg

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 04:18 PM

That's from episode one i think.

It gets better regarding the two actors chemistry. They are a real hoot most of the time.

Keep an eye out on Brett's number plate. In one episode, i think it's the sixth, it has it's real numbers on rather than BS 1.

trebor8273 15th April 2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485706)
That's from episode one i think.

It gets better regarding the two actors chemistry. They are a real hoot most of the time.

Keep an eye out on Brett's number plate. In one episode, i think it's the sixth, it has it's real numbers on rather than BS 1.

Yes it is, the music has been changed, it's a song on the DVD and not the theme tune

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 485710)
Yes it is, the music has been changed, it's a song on the DVD and not the theme tune

I didn't watch it i just recognized the still on your Youtube post.

iank 16th April 2016 09:24 PM

The X Files: Brand X. Mulder and Scully find the road to Hell is paved with good intentions in this gruesome episode, one of the best of the rather weak season 7. A tobacco company trying to make a "safer cigarette" by genetically engineering tobacco plants cause the unintentional effect of side-engineering the tobacco bugs that live on them, making their eggs survive the transformation into cigarettes as spores... and infesting anyone who smokes or is even in whiffing distance of said cigarettes. You can probably guess the rest. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th April 2016 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started series 2 of The Power Game.

The classic ITV drama which began on the factory floor of aircraft maker Scott Furlong some five series ago and was known as The Plane Makers is now in the corridors of power in London.

Terrific writing and razor sharp dialogue spoken by classic British actors such as Patrick Wymark as a 60s version of JR Ewing, Peter Barkworth, Patrick Allen, Barbara Murray, Clifford Evans and Jack Watling. It's very rewarding viewing and high quality drama, albeit with laughs along the way, but i suppose not exactly Cult Labs material.

Highly recommended.

Demoncrat 18th April 2016 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 485960)
Started series 2 of The Power Game.

The classic ITV drama which began on the factory floor of aircraft maker Scott Furlong some five series ago and was known as The Plane Makers is now in the corridors of power in London.

Terrific writing and razor sharp dialogue spoken by classic British actors such as Patrick Wymark as a 60s version of JR Ewing, Peter Barkworth, Patrick Allen, Barbara Murray, Clifford Evans and Jack Watling. It's very rewarding viewing and high quality drama, albeit with laughs along the way, but i suppose not exactly Cult Labs material.

Highly recommended.

Crossover with Who in places though?? That's what I keep hearing on the DW comms anyhow, so all roads lead to the Labs haha ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 485999)
Crossover with Who in places though?? That's what I keep hearing on the DW comms anyhow, so all roads lead to the Labs haha ahem.

Crossover with Who? As in Doctor Who? Aside from Jack Watling and one or two others being in both that's about as far as it goes. Certainly not in storylines, besides Wymark would eat Pat Troughton for breakfast. :lol:

Demoncrat 18th April 2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 486001)
Crossover with Who? As in Doctor Who? Aside from Jack Watling and one or two others being in both that's about as far as it goes. Certainly not in storylines, besides Wymark would eat Pat Troughton for breakfast. :lol:

Didn't mean story lines. Just actors.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 486004)
Didn't mean story lines. Just actors.

The odd Yeti or two would certainly make The Power Game interesting.

Demoncrat 18th April 2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 486005)
The odd Yeti or two would certainly make The Power Game interesting.

:pound:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th April 2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 486006)
:pound:

The comms are right though. A lot of actors did appear in both shows. From the aforementioned Watling and his daughter, to Michael Jayston, George Sewell, Richard Hurndall, Peter Barkworth, Kevin Stoney and Philip Madoc to name but a few.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th April 2016 02:53 PM

I've finished watching The Night Manager on Saturday. It's a great piece of television which shows the benefits of investing in the right screenwriters, actors, directors, other crew members, and stumping up for location shooting. Tom Hiddleston is brilliant in it, as are Hugh Laurie as 'the worst man in the world' and Tom Hollander, who managed to be both sympathetic and terrifying, particularly in the scene involving a lobster salad.

It is a story which can't be done in a two-hour film and needed a six-hour miniseries to properly do the events and characters justice.

If you haven't seen it, it's out on Blu-ray/DVD shortly (if not already), so do yourself a favour and rent or buy a copy.

I began watching the fifth season of The Sopranos last night, but will probably take a break for couple of nights to watch a rental of the first season of The Tunnel (the English/French remake of The Bridge).