Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2019, 09:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We had this 13 disc PD James set which finally shifted last week. Ahem.
trebor8273 and iank like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th September 2019, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Rewatched the first two (of four) episodes of the BBC's brilliant mini-series North and South. (2004)

Elizabeth Gaskell's story is a superb depiction of the North of the industrial age (Great location work in Edinburgh with Helmshore, Burnley and Keighley filming for the mills) and it's fearsomeness that a young woman from the South (an excellent Daniela Denby-Ashe) must face especially from a local mill owner (a brooding then unknown Richard Armitage in the role that made him a star).

Packed with tension, this is realistic in it's hardship of life in the mills in the 1850's and brutal with it. It's a simple story but beautifully played and social issues that were a constant them remain problematic in the present day getting on for 200 years later.

Look forward to rewatching episodes 3 and 4 on Thursday.

This is genuinely good stuff and is a must for fans of Bleak House, Dickensian and other quality historical series.

Old 25th September 2019, 09:34 AM
Cult Veteran

I bought the DVD on your recommendation, I've not got around to it yet and it is indeed packed away ready to move to our new place! I loved Bleak House but gave up on Dickensian with around 6 episodes to go. I do generally love all the BBC literary adaptations though!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th September 2019, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching this.

Old 25th September 2019, 09:27 PM
Cult Master

I watched the first episode of Mindhunter. I wasn't won over by it but will have been told it gets better so i may continue on with it and see how it develops.
Old 25th September 2019, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I watched the first episode of Mindhunter. I wasn't won over by it but will have been told it gets better so i may continue on with it and see how it develops.

I felt the same but even by the end of the second episode it’s so much better, first one is not a good indication of what’s to come.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th September 2019, 09:44 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I felt the same but even by the end of the second episode it’s so much better, first one is not a good indication of what’s to come.
Thats good to know i'll watch it tomorrow and report back
Old 25th September 2019, 09:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Things I have watched recently:

Thirteen Reasons Why – I thought the first season was brilliant: thought-provoking, powerful, and timely. The second season isn't quite as good, but is also very well written and plausibly acted. I can't say much about the third season because I've only seen two episodes.

Bob's Burgers – a rewatch and it's a show which can be seen at any time, but I've seen the first two seasons again and have started on the third. It's funny and perfect for winding down with a drink late one evening.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse – it's not the newest season because one is currently being broadcast, but it's the one that begins with nuclear Armageddon. I thought the first couple of episodes were great but it went down slightly after that, but the way it cycled back and introduced elements from previous seasons has made me want to go back and rewatch every previous season. If you are going to watch this, I recommend watching Coven beforehand; I wish I had.

Disenchantment – I very much like the first season and this is 'part 2' and I wish I had watched the first 10 episodes again prior to watching the most recent ones. However, it's good TV, not great like the high points of The Simpsons or Futurama, but something which has a really well thought out narrative arc and endearing characters.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just finished the last two episodes of North and South.

Excellent stuff and ill definitely watch it a third time in the years to come.

Richard Armitage totally owns the two episodes, there he is all handsome, dark and extremely f*cking brooding, i can see why three quarters of viewers turned to quivering jelly during the last five minutes of the finale.
Old 27th September 2019, 07:12 AM
Cult Addict

I'd never heard of Richard Armitage, had to look on imdb to see who he was.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!