Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2019, 08:17 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Bill: Furthers. An escaped convict has a bone to pick with DC Mike Dashwood - and a shotgun. This is a good, tense episode with the 4th appearance of Jack Meadows, still a year away from becoming a regular, but they've already let Simon Rouse transform him from the very posh, very cold fish of his first appearance into the rather more familiar gruff Yorkshireman.
Old 11th October 2019, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching Hercules season 2, it's amazing how much ancient Greece looks like Middleearth!
Old 15th October 2019, 02:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love death + robots , a Netflix series anthology of 18 short animated stories .
Varies times range from 5min - 15 min
Some unusual, others feel like a cut scene from latest game you're playing, other just normal.
Plenty of action and gore , even odd sex scene, But not a dull one amongst them
Recommended . 8.6 on IMDb.

Last edited by gag; 15th October 2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 20th October 2019, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Taking a break from all the horror I decided to watch a Kevin Smith comedy special. It happened to be the one he recorded the night he had his heart attack. When I found out I had a sort of macabre fascination and wanted to know if I could tell if he was going to almost die. It turns out that no you can’t. He was pretty stoned and he said he could barely feel it haha...

Anyway, the comedy was hilarious, I laughed loads. It’s a lot more personal than his ‘An evening with...’ shows he does, those are more about his work. Recommended for fans, the DVD is called Kevin Smith silent but deadly.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th October 2019, 06:31 AM
Cult Master

Watched the first episode of Watchmen last night. Really interesting it has a great look and straight away i knew Trent Reznor was involved in the soundtrack both beautiful and unnerving. This aint no friendly neighbourhood spiderman. Looking forward to more. The face Watchmen is my favourite graphic novel was worries about the film it ended up i didn't need to be and i was worried about a TV series its gotten off to a great start so fingers crossed it continues to grow.
Old 24th October 2019, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finally got back to the BW Callan . Shenaningans a plenty as Meres is always sniping from the sidelines. Why he bothers as he is a shit agent at the best of times. Hamfisted instead of two fisted really. Dave still worrying himself into an early grave ... and poor Lonely!! A pleasure (and pain) to watch. The last disc sadly beckons from a shadowy shoreline .....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th October 2019, 04:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also perused some of those Dixons .... Someone gets blown up in one, and there's a nonce chase in t'other!! Lawdy etc.
I now wish I had grabbed all 3 sets now. Ho hum.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th October 2019, 08:04 AM
Cult Master

Dad's Army: Series 1 - 9 (+ three Christmas specials) (1968–1977)

The comic misadventures of the hapless members of the Walmington-On-Sea Home Guard

When I got the box set, I was expecting to watch a handful of episodes, and then put it on the 'charity shop' pile. After all, it's on television every week, so I must have seen each episode dozens of times already, right? But no! A lot of episodes were either new to me, or I hadn't seen them since their first broadcast 40+ years ago. Being a period piece, it hasn't dated in the slightest, and in these days of Brexit, it seems just as relevant as it was in the 1940's. Catchphrases are many, instantly recognizable and still in use in everyday conversation: 'We're doomed', 'don't panic', 'they don't like it up 'em', 'permission to volunteer, sir' and, of course, 'stupid boy'. Very few television shows have lines that have stood the test of time, and become national institutes. 'Don't tell him, Pike' is one such line. There is none of the usual sexist humour from the period, and apart from the few racist comments – mentions of the 'Fuzzy-Wuzzys' and anti-German speech – there is absolutely nothing offensive about the programme. Quaint and gentile it may be, but 'Dad's Army' is a great show which is constantly entertaining and filled with more laughs per minute than 90% of other comedy programmes around

Rewatch value. Yes. This is something I can see myself revisiting many times in the future

Are You Being Served?: Series 1 - 10 (1973-1985)

The comic misadventures of the hapless staff of the ladies' and gentlemen's clothing departments at the London branch of the Grace Brothers store

Another show written by David Croft. It has dated hideously, and filled with rampant sexism and 'Carry On' humour. As the show went on, it was also noticeable that the 'gay/camp' humour was becoming more and more prevalent. Catchphrases are few, with the best remembered ones being 'I'm free' and 'you've all done very well' but Mrs. Slocomes pussy ultimately outstays its welcome – from the first mentions, followed by raucous and prolonged audience laughter, to the later episodes, which just have polite audience titters, it seemed to me that the cat was just being used to get cheap laugh, rather than an essential piece of the narrative.

Rewatch value: I possibly would have watched a few episodes, but probably not the whole thing. Also, with space being a premium at the moment, this is destined to return to the charity shop

It Ain't Half Hot Mum: Series 1 – 8 (1974-1981)

The comic misadventures of a Royal Artillery concert party based in Deolali, India and Tin Man, Burma

David Croft returned to the war with a series about an Army entertainment song and dance troupe in India during the tail end of WW2. It's a show I truly wanted to love, but in reality it left a really nasty taste in the mouth. This is the polar opposite of 'Dad's Army'. Offensive doesn't begin to describe it, and it's no wonder that the BBC don't repeat it. Catchphrases are mainly bullying put-downs 'Mr La-di-da Gunner Graham', 'you bunch of poofs' and 'shut up' being prime candidates, with only 'you've got a nice pair of shoulders there. Show 'em off, show 'em off' being something that would be acceptable today.

Racist and homophobic, this series is very much a product of its time, and should stay there

Rewatch value: None. I found it embarrassing and distasteful

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th October 2019, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

When does BBC war of the worlds air ?
Has it already been on ? because my friend said he already watched first 2 episodes .
Old 29th October 2019, 07:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
When does BBC war of the worlds air ?
Has it already been on ? because my friend said he already watched first 2 episodes .
Your friend is telling lies.

It's yet to air. All there's been so far is a trailer a few weeks ago.

Like this? Share it using the links below!