Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13829Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2020, 08:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

As an aside from my current viewing of Neighbours 2004, away from the Sky/Lana stuff, which is admittedly what I'm mainly obsessed with at present , it's so completely obvious that Svetlanka's "godson" Luka is actually Liljana's baby son who she believes was stillborn, and that that crazy bitch mother of hers is behind this deception. Which has, of course, led to Serena unknowingly currently snogging and even on the verge of sleeping with her half-brother. Eww.
Cause that's not messed up or anything.
Lana liking girls seems a lot less icky in comparison now, doesn't it Serena!?!!?
Old 8th May 2020, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brassic, they're back with more shenanigans than the first series, a little ridiculous at times eg episode 2 Re-animator style sticking someone head on to a different body. At times it also reminds me of lock stock style with the type of **** ups etc, daft nonsense that entertains enough too enjoy, created by Joseph Gilgun who I think is a entertaining actor and stars the ever so lovely and gorgeous Michelle keegan .
bleakshaun likes this.

Last edited by gag; 8th May 2020 at 01:58 PM.
Old 8th May 2020, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Some more 2004 Neighbours episodes, that veer from the genuinely uncomfortable to watch to - at last! - a happier one. Lana is so desperate to quell the rumours of her being gay she's actually planning to sleep with some creep at a party, which Sky is completely freaked by. Freaked to such an extent that she shows up at a party she otherwise had no intention of even going to and pretty much openly begs her not to go through with it, which has the effect of making her look like a jealous girlfriend. Fortunately her display of - it's hard to say public humiliation, since Sky seems to be so focused on protecting Lana that she could genuinely give zero f***s about her own reputation - whatever it is works. Lana finally stands up for herself, outs herself and marches off arm-in-arm with Sky. Yay!

This happiness lasts for half the next episode, when she gets attacked in the girl's locker room in a scene that's actually excruciating to watch. Jesus Wept. Can this chick catch a f*****g break?! Lana is terrified again, and Sky is just absolutely f*****g livid.

We then finally - finally - get a lighter episode. Sky and Lana's comic strip is being published by an underground gay magazine, whose editor wants to interview them. The pair of them trying not to laugh as she starts waffling on about post-modern metatextuality and patriarchal theory - when they're just having fun with these things - is very funny. She also makes the - entirely understandable - assumption that they're "partners" in another sense. Cue moment of cute embarrassed, shy, awkwardness (though it's interesting that neither actually denies it). And they're soon happily posing cheek to cheek for photos with big cheesy grins on their faces. Aww. They really do have a fantastic chemistry together, and it's so nice to finally have an episode where they can just be giggly and happy and have fun with each other.

On another note, Stu and Sindi have pashed! I do remember this, so in hindsight it's been obvious that Stu's antagonism toward her has been partly based on attraction, though interesting that there's also genuine irritation at the way she lets everyone, including Toadie, treat her like a doormat. And it's cute that after one kiss and one awkward conversation, he's suddenly telling Toadie to man up and start treating her right.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 9th May 2020, 11:34 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The BBC have released lots of hi-res set empty set photos for use as backgrounds for Zoom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/empty_...l3VFA-OCywf8u8

They are pretty cool as a background for anything though. Here's an example.

Arkwright's shop from Open All Hours.

Old 11th May 2020, 12:43 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
For fans of Japanese auteur director Sion Sono, he's written and directed a new series for Netflix called Forest of Love. I don't want to give anything away about the plot but it begins when a horny young couple discover the corpse of a murdered person in the woods. Worth watching for sure, 7 episodes.
Amazing tv show - thank you @Justin101 for pointing it out, the twist in the end made it better, did you watch the movie?

I really ask myself sometimes how can Sono get away with some of his stuff
Justin101 likes this.
Old 11th May 2020, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Amazing tv show - thank you @Justin101 for pointing it out, the twist in the end made it better, did you watch the movie?

I really ask myself sometimes how can Sono get away with some of his stuff
I've not watched the movie version yet, it seems too soon and I've got loads of other things to watch in the time being. I know what you mean though, I've not seen loads of his films but they always have something in it that makes you scratch your head and think, how... Why... lol.

He has another TV series, this time over on Amazon Prime, I might give that a watch soon, Tokyo Vampire Hotel??
Screenshot_20200511-160841.jpg
bleakshaun likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th May 2020, 09:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science: Vigilance. After nearly getting caught using the school's science lab at night, something that could get her expelled, Elizabeth tries to persuade Toby to let her use his home lab and even join in with her new project. Rebuffed as per usual, she resorts again to using the school lab - unaware that the teachers have placed a hidden camera in the room to catch the persistent intruder. Is this the end for Elizabeth? Oh wow. This was a turnaround! I really didn't remember them starting to hit on Toby/Elizabeth so strong and so soon (not quite halfway through season 1) but here we are. Faced with the real possibility of Elizabeth being permanently removed from his life, Toby finally gets off that fence he so likes to sit on in regards to her, and takes direct action to safeguard her and prevent that happening, much to his friends' disbelief. And his feeble excuses - well, if Elizabeth gets caught it might somehow lead to my secret being exposed - aren't fooling anyone, not a shocked and furious Dina (ha ha, swivel on it, bitch! ) or an equally stunned but seriously warmed Elizabeth. This was a great episode! Low to non-existent on the sci-fi wackiness but high on the character stuff, which is what interests me anyway. Toby forced to show he cares about Elizabeth more than he wants to admit, Elizabeth positively a-glow with happiness and hopefulness (to the extent she's even being genuinely nice and sweet with Verity at the end, when she normally just yells at her ) and the smug smirk well and truly wiped off Dina's face. It's now becoming clear to everyone that what Elizabeth's been saying since the accident - that she and Toby are now connected in a way he can never be with anyone else - is actually true, and the implications of that are obviously fairly seismic.
Loved this one!
Old 11th May 2020, 10:17 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've not watched the movie version yet, it seems too soon and I've got loads of other things to watch in the time being. I know what you mean though, I've not seen loads of his films but they always have something in it that makes you scratch your head and think, how... Why... lol.

He has another TV series, this time over on Amazon Prime, I might give that a watch soon, Tokyo Vampire Hotel??
Attachment 224408
Hmm.. Interesting, I don't have prime - maybe need to sign for a free trial
Old 11th May 2020, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Four episodes in to my Inspector George Gently complete box set.

So far it's terrific. Martin Shaw seems to totally convince in everything he does and he's brilliant here as the Scotland Yard inspector sent to Co Durham in 1964 on the trail of the man who murdered his wife.

Teaming up with local Sergeant John Bacchus (also a fine turn from Lee Ingleby) the episodes move on from here. So far there is no ongoing plot line and the episodes are all self contained but the variety in these first four is there for all to see. We've had IRA gun running, murder due to anti German sentiment, bikers and in tonight's episode historical abuse at a children's home. This was by far the darkest episode to date.

The period setting is replicated beautifully and the whole thing is a genuine delight, with each episode clocking in at a movie length 90 minutes.

Martin Shaw and Lee Ingleby.
Old 12th May 2020, 09:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Angel season 4. I don't care what anyone says, this is still my favourite season of the spin-off show. Gloriously dark, epic and OTT, 24 with demons basically. Highly addictive to watch.

Like this? Share it using the links below!