Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2020, 09:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

More from Neighbours 2004... The Sky/Lana stuff continues to be compelling on so many levels, though Lana is more the inadvertent cause rather than the centre of it this time. Lana herself is looking a lot happier now she's out and doesn't have to hide or pretend anymore, and seems to more or less being left alone. She's also doing her level best to just see Sky as her best friend and nothing more, telling her she's been neglecting Boyd and should spend more time with him, and looking for romantic prospects elsewhere.

But just her presence is causing ripples of tension. Although Boyd seems to like Lana as a person, he's increasingly uncomfortable with how close Sky is to her, especially given she's actively choosing to spend more time with her than him these days. (When she comes round to ask him to lunch, after basically being urged to by Lana, his sarcastic response is, "Lana having the day off, is she?" Ouch!)

But he's furious when Sky blithely tells him that the gay magazine that publishes their comic strip has mistakenly outed them as a lesbian couple, particularly given that she had the chance to correct that assumption and didn't, and that she doesn't seem bothered by it. He makes a valid point that it's disrespectful to him and to Lana ("You think it's funny? Pretending to be her girlfriend when you know how she feels about you?")

Tellingly, Sky doesn't even deny it. I expected her to insist that Lana was over her crush, but she doesn't even blink at the assertion. Typically, though, Sky digs her heels in and insists he's being ridiculous, and that the idea that anyone could think she and Lana were really a couple is hilarious. And then proceeds to later look taken aback and rather discomfited when Lana tells her she's got a date with another girl, as though the idea this might happen had never occurred to her before. Oh boy. Y'know, I do think Sky honestly believes what she's saying at this point, but I also think she clearly enjoys being the sole focus of Lana's attention and is rapidly setting up camp on the lakes of a river in Egypt.

But the best line of these episodes came randomly from little Summer, excitedly telling Max what's been happening at school lately: "Lana's coming out as a lesbian... I wonder if Sky will decide she's a lesbian too?" With predictions like that, she should be writing the Horoscopes for the local paper, not Sindi!

Out of the mouths of babes...
Old 16th May 2020, 10:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Sharpe-s-Gold-sharpe-22542716-1023-643.jpg
SHARPE'S GOLD (1995)

1813. Wellington orders Sharpe to exchange rifles for some British deserters from a Spanish guerrilla leader. Wellington's cousin Bess and her daughter arrive looking for Bess's husband..

untitled.jpg
SHARPE'S BATTLE (1995)

1813. Sharpe is put in charge of an unwanted group of poorly trained Irish reinforcements. A Spanish guerrilla leader stirs the Irish up with propaganda against the British and rifleman Perkins is killed..
Old 17th May 2020, 09:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

In a bid to try and watch something other than 2004 Neighbours and Wicked Science I had a retro night last night, beginning an encore of season 1 of Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?, starting season 2 of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em and picking up season 1 of Secret Army again.

Fine stuff.
Old 18th May 2020, 04:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I ended up spending the entire afternoon/evening watching HBO's Chernobyl yesterday. Gripping yet harrowing stuff. I vaguely remember it happening, it was 2 days after my 9th Birthday so details were a bit shaky at best.

I'm guessing that this show was about as accurate as you can be considering Russia and the KGB desperately trying to suppress any information and to protect state secrets!

Worth watching if you can, although perhaps not by spending 5 and half hours on a Sunday watching it all in one go

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th May 2020, 05:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I ended up spending the entire afternoon/evening watching HBO's Chernobyl yesterday. Gripping yet harrowing stuff. I vaguely remember it happening, it was 2 days after my 9th Birthday so details were a bit shaky at best.

I'm guessing that this show was about as accurate as you can be considering Russia and the KGB desperately trying to suppress any information and to protect state secrets!

Worth watching if you can, although perhaps not by spending 5 and half hours on a Sunday watching it all in one go
Excellent show in every sense, it wasn't given any kinda Hollywood treatment and stuck more to the grim side which is a bonus
In top 3 highest tv shows on imdb ( without me googling it ) I think has something like 9.6
Justin101 likes this.
Old 18th May 2020, 06:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

I thought it was brilliant, one of the best TV series I've ever seen. I plan to rewatch it before the Now TV subscription expires.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 18th May 2020, 07:40 PM
Cult Master

Watching Wonder Woman its so cheesy and hilarious but its also a nice easy fun watch. The invisible plane

2f60ca0bcee52c66c3e4c85b4abc7c51.jpg
Old 18th May 2020, 07:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Watching Wonder Woman its so cheesy and hilarious but its also a nice easy fun watch. The invisible plane

Attachment 224565
I'd prefer to watch the 70's series than i would the Gal Gadot movie.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 18th May 2020, 08:16 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'd prefer to watch the 70's series than i would the Gal Gadot movie.
I refuse to watch that film

The show is brilliant always puts a smile on my face and Lynda is just the cherry on top of course
Old 18th May 2020, 09:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science. Well, it turns out there's a reason I didn't remember much Toby/Elizabeth stuff in season 1 after all. *Barely a week after Toby took such a significant step in her direction, Elizabeth manages to screw it up royally and worsen their relationship even worse than before, allowing Dina to provoke her into a retaliation that goes out of control and actually threatens Dina's life. While clearly not intentional, it's enough for Toby to flip his lid and not so much push as shove her away again, telling her she's sick and that he'll never like her. Ouch. And they've barely interacted since, which is frustrating on a character level but also very much detrimental to the show. I don't care if they're getting along or at each other's throats, they're just much more interesting together. And it seems my memory was right after all and they didn't really twig that till season 2. Bummer.*

Like this? Share it using the links below!