Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2020, 11:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

More 2004 Neighbours... Don't worry, this is nearly over now, folks! I must admit, this is the point where things start to go downhill, because we hit Cop-Out Central. Sky finally kisses Lana, only to backtrack at about a million miles an hour, but not before her relationships with both Lana and Boyd are shattered. This sudden backtracking cop-out to an otherwise perfectly - and beautifully - executed build-up is still just as disappointing as it was then, even with the recent backtracking of the backtracking, and I'd argue that this sudden cowardice is just as much the start of the show's 2005 downfall as the Lassiter's Fire was.

On a purely narrative/character level, it still just about works from today's POV of knowing - rather than just suspecting - how full of s**t Sky is. I didn't remember, for instance, that Sky already knows that Lana is leaving in just over a month, so that certainly adds another layer - besides the obvious "just not ready" Fear Factor - to her backtracking. Lana notes that "it's all in here" (her head) for Sky, and that "she cares more about ideas than people." It's an assessment made in anger, of course, but it's one Boyd has made before, and it certainly fits with Sky's sudden 180 here, particularly her sudden decision that it's Boyd she wants (when she's been quite happy to all but ignore him since Lana arrived, and indeed will drop him quite easily not long after she leaves). My sympathy for Sky is fairly limited here, honestly. It's one thing to be Oblivious, it's one thing to be in Denial, but to be in Denial to the extent you've got your head up your backside and are hurting those around you....

Lana, on the other hand, continues to be heartbreaking. She clearly thinks all her Christmasses have come at once when Sky kisses her, and she's not just heartbroken but utterly furious when Sky performs her "it was a mistake" ritual, telling her she no longer wants to be friends with her, and that Sky needs to leave her alone now so she can get over her, at first in the heat of the moment and then the next day in a much more quiet and dejected manner. But she's Lana, so not only is she still clearly in love with her anyway, but she's also incredibly kind, so within two days she's seeking Sky out to forgive her anyway, apparently resignedly deciding that she'd rather be relegated to being the gay best friend than nothing. Boyd angrily accuses her of caving to whatever Sky wants, and while he's being kind of a jerk at the moment, he's not wrong. Poor Lana.

In fact, aside from Lana, the only other person actually being really sympathetic is actually Serena (of all people), who goes out of her way (before any of this happens) to finally apologise to Lana for what she did to her when she found out she was gay, make things right with her and renew their friendship, and then later tries pleading Sky's case with her and Boyd. She's gained some brownie points back, at least, even if no one else has...
Old 6th June 2020, 12:57 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I finished watching the third season of Killing Eve, eight episodes of TV which have left me distinctly underwhelmed. I loved the first season, thought the second was entertaining but lacking in much of the tension which made the first season so gripping, but the last season felt very rushed.

Steve Pemberton played a new addition to the ensemble, but felt very underused, the major plot point from the scenes in Poland was left unfinished and so much of it was just left hanging during the season or in the final episode.

I didn't think this season was really needed, with the second season having a dénouement which was entirely fitting and logical but thought it would be high quality and very enjoyable TV. Sad to say that it wasn't really either.
Old 6th June 2020, 01:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Currently into the third series of 2 Broke Girls.

It quickly settled down and gained an ongoing story line whilst keeping the laugh out loud smuttyness. No swearing whatsoever but it isn't in the least bit family friendly. One of those rare shows which keeps it filthy without resorting to swearing - the mark of good writing in my opinion. I really didn't expect to watch all three series of a sitcom back to back. That's unheard of round these parts.

I wasn't convinced adding Jennifer Coolidge to the cast at the tail end of the first series was a good idea but she's brilliant. Her on/off/on relationship with diner chef Oleg is a highlight as are the put downs to diminutive Asian diner owner Han.

However it's not a show that's racist at all, well not to me anyway. Certainly racial stereotypes are used often but not aimed at one person, everyone get's hammered, be it rich white girls, poor city girls, east Europeans, Asians, the Kardashians... The only one who seems to escape is the diner's cool cashier Earl, played by the brilliant Garrett Morris (Unless being a cool old former jazz musician is a stereotype), oh and Chestnut, the horse.

There's good use of pop culture throughout which may well date the show in years to come but who cares when Kat Dennings name checks Slayer and Black Sabbath as favourite bands, along with Missy Elliott.

2 Broke Girls isn't a show for the easily offended (About three quarters of Twitter users) but i find it frequently hilarious.

Jennifer Coolidge, Jonathan Kite, Kat Dennings, Beth Behrs, Garrett Morris, Matthew Moy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 105175_d_0897be_35101af3 (Medium).jpeg (91.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 6th June 2020, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Space Force

Steve Carell's SF comedy. It's too gentle in it's portrayal of Dump, and is a tad sentimental/PC at times.
Not a patch on Avenue 5 imho.
Still worth a look for Malkovich as a waspish scientist for all that.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th June 2020, 07:17 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I recently which both series of Life on Mars. It's a show which started off brilliantly with an engaging and thoughtful narrative structure but with each episode having its own self-contained structure and criminal investigation. By the middle of the second series, I was just waiting for the resolution, which sadly was a bit meh.

It was a show which I thought could have been brilliant but the mystery element as to why Sam Tyler was in 1973 felt dragged out so the ending was more of a 'huh, I thought that was happening' than a bolt from the blue demanding an immediate second viewing.

Anyway, now watching Ashes to Ashes, a couple of minute to the first episode.
Old 6th June 2020, 07:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched first two seasons of in the line of duty, absolutely brilliant well acted , writing and directed with more twists and turns than a maze.

Now watching Space Force.
Old 6th June 2020, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Space Force

Steve Carell's SF comedy. It's too gentle in it's portrayal of Dump, and is a tad sentimental/PC at times.
Not a patch on Avenue 5 imho.
Still worth a look for Malkovich as a waspish scientist for all that.
Only watched a little but found it better than avenue 5 which I found to be dire and stopped after the first episode with huge Laurie being the only goodthing the rest of the cast should be spaced

Could see Fred Willard was very ill when making this.

It's not the best but it could be good if they fix problems if it gets another season.

Should I give Avenue 5 another chance?
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 6th June 2020, 07:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Only watched a little but found it better than avenue 5 which I found to be dire and stopped after the first episode with huge Laurie being the only goodthing the rest of the cast should be spaced

Could see Fred Willard was very ill when making this.

It's not the best but it could be good if they fix problems if it gets another season.

Should I give Avenue 5 another chance?
Er AYE. It's a damn sight funnier than this was, mainly due to who wrote it ahem. Iannucci & Baynham cough.
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th June 2020, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I recently which both series of Life on Mars. It's a show which started off brilliantly with an engaging and thoughtful narrative structure but with each episode having its own self-contained structure and criminal investigation. By the middle of the second series, I was just waiting for the resolution, which sadly was a bit meh.

It was a show which I thought could have been brilliant but the mystery element as to why Sam Tyler was in 1973 felt dragged out so the ending was more of a 'huh, I thought that was happening' than a bolt from the blue demanding an immediate second viewing.

Anyway, now watching Ashes to Ashes, a couple of minute to the first episode.

Just wait til you see how THAT ends then. Enjoy!!!
iank likes this.

[B]
Old 6th June 2020, 08:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Er AYE. It's a damn sight funnier than this was, mainly due to who wrote it ahem. Iannucci & Baynham cough.
Might just been in a funny mood and the characters are probably supposed to be a bunch of unlikable idiots
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!