LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Finished the final season of Star Trek Enterprise which for me was easily the best season. Shame we didn't get a fifth which was going to deal with the Romulan war.

Now watching.

TOD was class!
Used to be onITV late Thursday nights,I watched it when finishing backshift!

Poor Terence Knox.
From the fields of Vietnam to the fields of Gatlin....
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th July 2020, 08:35 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched Cursed on Netflix. It's a weird TV show because it doesn't seem to be pitching to an obvious demographic. Some of it seems like a YA romantic drama, and a bit like a sub-Vikings historical mythology series with no shortage of violence.

The show uses the backdrop of Merlin, Arthur, and Uther Pendragon to tell the story of a young woman (the actor who played Hannah in 13 Reasons Why) with magical powers and when the season finishes, the story only feels partly told. I'm not clamouring for a second season!
Old 24th July 2020, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I watched Cursed on Netflix. It's a weird TV show because it doesn't seem to be pitching to an obvious demographic. Some of it seems like a YA romantic drama, and a bit like a sub-Vikings historical mythology series with no shortage of violence.

The show uses the backdrop of Merlin, Arthur, and Uther Pendragon to tell the story of a young woman (the actor who played Hannah in 13 Reasons Why) with magical powers and when the season finishes, the story only feels partly told. I'm not clamouring for a second season!
The worst thing about this is the actress from 13 reasons she's awful everyone else is a lot more interesting , she just comes off as dull and unlikable and a poor actress , must be her as that's how I felt about her in 13 reasons

Really like the guy playing Merlin he was the guy who played Floki in Vikings. He and some of the others have kept me watching

With any luck they will bump her off and it will become a better show
Old 24th July 2020, 03:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

After finishing Cursed, I watched the first episode of Snowpiercer and I'll finish watching it later today. I love the film and, though this takes some time to get going, the characters and environment become increasingly interesting as the season goes on. It's a very good TV series and one which I recommend to anyone, whether they've seen the film or not.
Old 25th July 2020, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet

Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet.
From two of the creators of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day,this is a fairly hit or miss,but on the whole a fairly enjoyable look at the gaming industry.

Old 26th July 2020, 07:45 AM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science: A Friend in Need. Toby invents a way to look like anyone in a bid to get into Elizabeth's lab, only for it to be misused and land him in hot water when Russ tries to pretend to be him to make up for a faux pas with Nikki. This is a slightly lame episode, certainly a comedown from the previous one, not least because I could really GAF about Toby chasing after Nikki. It still has some entertaining moments, mainly from Elizabeth, who helps Toby out with a mixture of blackmail and shameless flirtation (her glee at making him change clothes in front of her is pretty funny too). Elizabeth has certainly improved at the flirting since season 1, being positively vampish here! She makes this episode despite it generally being a tad flat and I am liking her season 2 persona a lot. She seems a lot more confident, a lot less angry, and a lot more fun! That being said, I am disturbed at her claiming to love going to the dentist. Wow, she really is nuts...
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 27th July 2020, 03:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the first three episodes of doom watch.

Brilliant stuff!

First episode involved a escaped virus which destroyed the plastic of anything it came into contact with, next which was my favourite is about a strain of flesh eating intelligent rats which escape from a lab and go about munching on members of the public, had to be a influence for James Herbets the Rats, the last, two of the doom watch team are suspended , we find this is the work of a computer whom thinks they are security risks, this story with a computer deciding someone's fate is probably more poignant now than in 72.

Last edited by trebor8273; 27th July 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 27th July 2020, 05:46 PM
Cult Addict

The Twilight Zone

the-twilight-zone.jpg

Season 3

Absof*ckinglutely love The Twilight Zone, watched them back on TV as a kid and always remembered them as something unique and interesting.

I got the full box set a couple of months back and have been watching them late at night before bed, they are perfect viewing for the small hours, although because they are engaging and interesting sometimes i end up sitting up even later thinking about stuff.

For the time this was truly groundbreaking stuff and you can trace the roots of so many films back to these little haunting short films.

They are not always amazing but for me they generally have a 70% hit rate where i find something to enjoy, and the acting is great too with so many episodes featuring actors that became well known stars afterwards.

I'm on Series 3 at the moment and over the last 2 nights have watched these episodes.

Two

0_KuG6i7NCpDeSqr35.jpg

Two survivors from a unknown war find each other in an empty city and slowly gain each others trust and put aside their differences.
Featuring Charles Bronson and Elizabeth Montgomery from Bewitched, i really liked this one.

The Arrival

A plane arrives at a airport but when boarded there are no passengers or crew.
An interesting idea but i wasn't that bothered by this one.

The Shelter

This was pretty intense, neighbours gathered at a party suddenly find their world turned upside down when an invasion begins, one has a shelter and the friends turn on each other in their desperation to survive.
Really liked this one.

The Passerby

A gothic drenched episode set in the aftermath of the American civil war, two people meet for a moment as a trail of dead soldiers walk on by to their final resting place.
Pretty good atmosphere. decent.

A Game of pool

A self absorbed pool player Jack Klugman (Quincey M.E) wishes he could play against a dead legendary pool player, sure that he could beat him, but when he gets the change will he be up to it?
A ok episode with good performances.

The Mirror

A peasant leads a revolt against a dictator, but afterwards instead of bringing change he descends into madness and paranoia.
Starring Columbo himself Peter Falk.
Ok but slight.

The Grave

The-Grave.jpg

A gothic western piece featuring Lee Marvin and Lee van Cleef, after a notorious killer is killed, a bounty hunter turns up to his hometown on his trail, finding him dead he is challenged by the locals to prove his bravery.
Slight but enjoyable, nice atmospheric graveyard scene, despite featuring the stars mentioned the real star of this episode for me was the killers sister who gives a nice creepy performance.

It's a good life.

A story that was remade in the film version, A creepy kid has the power of a god and can create and destroy on a whim, leaving all the adults terrified and subservient.
Being more used to the film version this seemed slightly subdued, but it's a well acted, creepy good episode.

Deaths head revisited

A SS commander returns to his old now derelict concentration camp and is confronted by the ghosts of his victims.
A well acted and poignant story where we see the vicious Nazi get his comeuppance.
I really liked this one.

And that's it so far, for the amount of episodes they made, the entire series is so far above average it's ridiculous, especially considering the time they were made, ao many philosophical questions are raised and humanities stupidity is constantly exposed.
Rod Serling is the man in my eyes and i love his introductions, he often wanders into frame in an early scene and stands and delivers the episodes premise, but instead of being annoying i find it adds a little bit of kooky charm.

Rod-serling.jpg

Also most of the episodes are only 25 minutes long so even a bad one doesn't outstay its welcome and the quality of acting made the stories a joy to watch.

Unparalleled greatness and thoroughly recommended.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 27th July 2020 at 06:17 PM.
Old 27th July 2020, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Watched the first three episodes of doom watch.

Brilliant stuff!

First episode involved a escaped virus which destroyed the plastic of anything it came into contact with, next which was my favourite is about a strain of flesh eating intelligent rats which escape from a lab and go about munching on members of the public, had to be a influence of James Herbets the Rats, the last, two of the doom watch team are suspended , we find this is the work of a computer whom thinks they are security risks, this story with a computer deciding someone's fate is probably more poignant now than in 72.
Wait until you get to Invasion and The Web of Fear. Two terrifying episodes.

Invasion was filmed at Grassington not too far away from me.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Secret Army: The Hostage. Season 2 opens with a very strong and compelling episode, as the Resistance try to find a downed British Brigadier who has info that can't be allowed to fall into Nazi hands. Good stuff, though I'm less than impressed that we've lost Jan Francis, or by the exit her character gets. One scene, and then killed off fairly lamely. Boo! That's all a bit too Neighboursesque for me ("You know that character you've really invested in? F**k them, they're gone, so get over it!")

Like this? Share it using the links below!