Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2020, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Secret Army: Ring of Rosies. If Giles as a Nazi wasn't enough, this week we get a glimpse of PC Tony Stamp... as a Nazi!
You think you know people...
Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 1st December 2020, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hammer House Of Horror: The Thirteen Reunion.

Ruth who works for a woman's section magazine is assigned to a new weight loss programme that her editor received a letter from a participant. When people start dying, a young apprentice at a funeral director helps her find the answers as to why people are young and healthy are dying. Her instincts lead her to a house where a dark secret lies within.

This was a decent episode full of thrills and chills for the family, that does have a somewhat sinister atmosphere blended in to it. Julia Foster takes the role as journalist Ruth who looks into the clinic run by former P.E. teacher James Cosmo that the business is connected with a funeral parlour. Even though it was good it does do a slight landslide then goes back to topic.

reunion.jpg

Hammer House Of Horror: The Carpathian Eagle

When male bodies are found with their hearts ripped out, a Inspector is assigned to catch the killer, when a novelist is writing a book about the same thing that is based on a countess, he speaks to her descendant to try find the clues to the murderer.

This is one of those love or hate episodes or just can't make your mind up yet which is what im doing at the moment, Suzanne Danielle plays the mystery writer on the famous Hungarian Countess while Anthony Valentine plays the Inspector who is playing cat and mouse. This one did throw in some some twists as to the identity of the killer then throws you off the trail, but sadly a young Pierce Brosnan ended up being another victim.

carpathian eagle.jpg
Old 2nd December 2020, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hammer House Of Horror: Guardian Of The Abyss.

A mirror is sold at a auction and a man wants to buy it by offering more money, a reporter helps a stranded woman fleeing from a cult and is drawn in to a web of secrets.

This was a interesting take on Black magic and the occult that i'm sure Dennis Wheatley would have been proud of to watch, and may be a learning curve on what not to serve a person who is mysterious. John Carson plays the mysterious magician who hypnotizes those to help do his bidding. Ray Lonnen and Barbara Ewing play the reporters who buy the mirror and Paul Darrow seems very much interested in offering more money for it. With the running time being what it is this got more suspenseful and atmospheric as it went on with a few twists added in, certainly enjoyable.

ga-screen-11.jpg

Hammer House Of Horror: Growing Pains.

When their son dies, Laura and her husband adopt a boy, when he moves in to their house strange things begin to happen.

This one seemed to have a good start, it has the feel of The Omen to it, a Diplomat adopts a child, bring him home and all hell breaks loose, however this seemed good, it dwindled southwards to the end where it really didn't make sense. I think the makers of this tried to add in more twists that failed out badly, there was scenes of mutilated animals especially rabbits but that just seems to be the only interesting part.

gp-screen-7.jpg

Even though the episodes are out of sync with the air date that they were released, blame the ones that made up the discs I would happily watch these episodes again, as some where really good and enjoyable.

Old 2nd December 2020, 08:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hammer House of Horror: The Mark Of Satan:

Edwyn who is a morgue assistant believes evil forces are around him when he starts seeing the Number 9 around him.

This was slow start into the decent in to madness and paranoia starts taking over the mind of a man who he thinks is being taken over by evil spirits. Peter McErny plays Edwyn tries to focus on life with his over bearing mother and Young Tennent (Georgina Hale) but everywhere he goes he sees the Number 9, even the priest tells him of the Devil's Mark. This was a good psychological programme as it does play on the mind of the viewer as you seem to think it goes one way then in to another way that is very much like a bad trip.

Attachment 229764
To watch it now, it's hard to believe it was actually shown on British tv tbh. One of my "go to"s tbh.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th December 2020, 10:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science: Meet the Parents. With Toby about to meet Nikki's parents for the first time, Jack makes a deal with Elizabeth that he can ruin it and split them up in return for the secret behind their genius. But not only does Elizabeth not have any intention of honouring that agreement, she decides to add her own brand of trouble to the occasion... This is a fairly lame episode to be honest, one of the weakest of the season, mainly because "meet the parents" scenarios are always cringeworthy to watch and Nikki is a dull character anyway. The most significant thing is Elizabeth's obvious jealousy finally clueing Jack in to how she feels about Toby, giving him a potential way to manipulate her. Though he's kind of right when he says at the end of the episode:

"Why do you like him so much anyway? He doesn't appreciate you... Maybe you should be looking somewhere else."

He's right, but he's still a creep!
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 8th December 2020, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm watching something called The Saturday Starship. Once it's done, I'll put up a link, kids show natch, live with inserts. I don't want to spoil any fun, but this just reminds of WHY British tv was better than that bland corporate shite that Murica pumped out.
Ahem.

Enjoy!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 8th December 2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 8th December 2020, 07:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Secret Army: Prisoner. Trying to escape a Nazi sweep-up of people to "conscript" as slave labour, Alain is caught and taken to Gestapo HQ as a suspected terrorist. Things do not look good for him or for Lifeline if he cracks under interrogation - but returning British Major Bradley (Paul Shelley) determines that Alain is too valuable to lose and must be gotten out - no matter the cost. Oh, I like this guy. He's a ruthless b*****d. I wholeheartedly approve.
Old 9th December 2020, 03:30 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Although it's been a while since I watched the second season of Daredevil, the show that introduced Frank Castle into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, watching the first season of The Punisher was surprisingly easy to catch up on Castle's background and character. Because the situation with his family's killers was more or less wrapped up in Daredevil, this sees him teaming up with 'Micro', a computer analyst for the NSA who, like Castle, is presumed dead.

Together, they examine (with extreme violence) the wider network of people in the military, intelligence, and criminal justice systems responsible for what Castle did in the military and the wider conspiracy behind his family's murder. Jon Bernthal is excellent in the title role, a physically intimidating and brooding screen presence who also shows the anger and pain which drives him on, making his Manichean worldview and contentment with extrajudicial executions understandable. I'm not sure whether to go on to the second season soon or whether that will require watching Runaways and Cloak & Dagger, shows which will require a short/trial subscription to Disney+ and Prime Video, respectively.

As I was unsure whether to continue watching The Punisher, I began watching the second season of His Dark Materials, thinking the full thing was on iPlayer. When the fifth episode finished and there weren't any others, I realised the BBC was putting it online week by week not, as they have done with other shows, available to stream in its entirety when the first episode airs. If I'd known this a few days ago, I would have waited a few weeks to watch all seven episodes without a break – that's something I'll do next year, probably after re-watching the first season.

I'm enjoying this a lot and credit goes to the writers, directors, and art department for creating the multiple worlds in which the action takes place, and the actors for their committed and involving performances.

Absent anything to watch and with an hour or so if wanted to go to sleep, I decided to watch the second season of The End of the F***ing World, which I'm thoroughly enjoying and, after watching the first four episodes last night, plan to finish watching this afternoon.
Old 9th December 2020, 04:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
As I was unsure whether to continue watching The Punisher, I began watching the second season of His Dark Materials, thinking the full thing was on iPlayer. When the fifth episode finished and there weren't any others, I realised the BBC was putting it online week by week not, as they have done with other shows, available to stream in its entirety when the first episode airs. If I'd known this a few days ago, I would have waited a few weeks to watch all seven episodes without a break – that's something I'll do next year, probably after re-watching the first season.

I'm enjoying this a lot and credit goes to the writers, directors, and art department for creating the multiple worlds in which the action takes place, and the actors for their committed and involving performances.
I bought the nice dvd set a few weeks ago of the first season. Can't decide should i watch it or wait until series two is released shortly.
Old 9th December 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Misfits Xmas special. The group find a way to get rid of their powers - for cash - only to find a bitter ex-priest loading up on powers and then masquerading as a very naughty Second Coming.
"Where are you going?"
"I'm going to kill Jesus."

Wait, shouldn't that be Easter?

Like this? Share it using the links below!