LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2022, 02:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've recently watched all 4 seasons after my friends recommending it to me for the last 3 years! I have to say I loved it, one of my favourite shows, the writing is very witty and I could listen to Midge talking all the time.

I especially loved the string of episodes, season 3 I think, in the Catskills, really amusing writing.

Not sure if you're familar Nos, but the showrunners are most famous for Gilmore Girls, which is another fast paced dialogue show, although not set in a period, it's contemporary early 00's in Connecticut.
Yes, the episodes around the holidays in the Catskills were very good. The whole storyline with Susie walking around with a plunger in her hand and pretending to be a plumber became funnier with every episode. As you say, the writing is very sharp and delivered with exemplary precision by the cast.

I haven't seen any Gilmore Girls episodes but, if it's anything like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I'll gratefully accept your recommendation and find a way to watch it.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 14th March 2022, 02:38 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, the episodes around the holidays in the Catskills were very good. The whole storyline with Susie walking around with a plunger in her hand and pretending to be a plumber became funnier with every episode. As you say, the writing is very sharp and delivered with exemplary precision by the cast.

I haven't seen any Gilmore Girls episodes but, if it's anything like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I'll gratefully accept your recommendation and find a way to watch it.
It's on Netflix

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th March 2022, 11:19 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's on Netflix
I don't have an active Netflix account at the moment so I'm compiling a watchlist – my brother is doing the same – then we'll begin a family account for a month or two to binge watch everything. Gilmore Girls is now on the list.
Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 19th March 2022, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rentaghost: Season 1.

Episode 1.
Fred Mumford returns to Earth from the spirit world with a idea, employ some ghosts and rent them out. He hires Timothy Claypole a jester and mischievous poltergeist and 18th century ghost Hubert Davenport. Other problems arise when they can't pay rent to landlord Mr Meaker.

Episode 2.
Fred, Timothy and Hubert try to rid Heathrow Airport of a ghost, a highway robber.

Episode 3.
Mr Meaker finds out his tenants are ghosts, with a bout of appendicitis, the ghost take him to the hospital and find a opportunity to be employed as ward entertainers.

Episode 4.
The ghosts are hired to be part of a security team for a department store which does not go well.

Season 5.
The ghosts are hired by Lord Busby who owns a stately home, in hope of ghostly apparitions will attract the public eye.

Another first season of a T.V. show that I never saw and when they were repeated it was newer seasons that were shown. Anthony Jackson plays the proprietor of Rentaghost who seems to have business ideas that always go pear shaped. Michael Staniforth plays the Jester Timothy who provides the laughs and funny shenanigans while Michael Darbyshire plays the English gentleman Hubert who seems to still under the thumb of his Mamma. This was a laugh to watch even though for a series from 70s you can tell when the ghosts were going to be walking through walls. Still a good laugh.

51P4T7MFMRL._AC_.jpg
Old 19th March 2022, 11:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ooooh enjoy that there, the tune I can still recite ...

From. (4-6)

It's getting sort of weird. Recommend? Hmmm. Nothing like Lost btw.
MrBarlow likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 19th March 2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 19th March 2022, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rentaghost: Season 2.

Episode 1.
The ghosts help a tailor who thinks his brother in-law is stealing from him.

Episode 2.
The ghosts think that they can appear and disappear in different areas, they start a taxi service then a removal service.

Episode 3.
With business going slow, Mr Meaker becomes the new manager of Rentaghost and wants to put on a concert with the spirits of old musicians that have passed away.

Episode 4.
Fred's parents come to visit, Mr meaker has a idea that they should start a storage company using Timothy's powers of shrinking items that doesn't go well.

Episode 5.
Mr meaker hires a efficiency expert to test the ghosts, Fred is dismissed, Timothy casts a spell on Mr Meaker, everything he touches turns to gold.

Episode 6.
Mr Meaker has a idea for starting up a newspaper agency that causes problems.

More laughs, more hijinks and Mr Meaker trying to be a business manager and landlord that causes more problems than they are worth. Timothy does have a non understanding of "slang" that brings in the laughter and a new office location instead of being in a backroom.

p04thtv1.jpg
Old 21st March 2022, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Open All Hours: Season 1.

Full of Mysterious Promise
Shop Owner Arkwright and nephew Granville have fire damaged tin food, with no labels on the tins, Arkwright has a plan to sell them with not knowing what the contents are. Arkwright is slowly trying persuade neighbor nurse Gladys on a date.

A Mattress on Wheels
Feed up of the shop bike, Granville suggests the shop should have a delivery van and suggests putting a mattress in the back which may impress Nurse Gladys. Arkwright sees the idea being good idea and buys a second hand van and Granville comes to the thought of it being a regretful decision.

A Nice Cosy Little Disease
Arkwright feels neglected from Nurse Gladys and tries to come up with a illness that slowly backfires on him.

Beware of the Dog
There has been a state of burglaries in the area, Arkwright decides to put up a "beware of the dog"sign. Everyone knows Arkwright and Granville don't have a dog so they decide to go to the kennels and adopt a dog which turns out to be a bad idea.

Well Catered Funeral
Nurse Gladys goes to a funeral with Arkwright leaving Granville alone and tries to get rid of some unwanted stock at the funeral wake. Granville suggests that Arkwright should get out more.

Apples and Self Service
Arkwright has bought too many apples and tries to adapt to a technique on how to sell them to every customer that comes into the shop but things don't go accordingly to his idea.

Thanks to Britbox for only uploading two series of Rentaghost...dammit, decided to watch this instead and 3 of these episodes I haven't seen, Ronnie and David did make a good pair as the Uncle and Nephew with their crazy ideas that always seem to backfire on them. You still get a laugh with them both trying to work the till without loosing a finger.

Open_All_Hours_title_card.jpg
Old 21st March 2022, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

Open all hours is a masterpiece of 70's sitcom madness, Ronnie Barker is a feckin legend.
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 21st March 2022, 10:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Open all hours is a masterpiece of 70's sitcom madness, Ronnie Barker is a feckin legend.
He is defi...defi...defi...absolute brilliant . just half way through the second season now.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 22nd March 2022, 03:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Open All Hours: Season 2.

Laundry Blues.
Nurse Gladys finds out that Granville has been doing the laundry by hand, outraged Arkwright is working him to much tells him to buy a new washing machine.

The Reluctant Traveller.
Arkwright decides to take nurse Gladys to a hotel and leave Granville in charge of the shop and make a move for the milk lady. Arkwright who is never keen being away from the shop books the hotel around the corner.

Fig Biscuits and Inspirational Toilet Rolls.
Granville isn't happy being awake early, Arkwright tries a new tactic to sell some stuff to customer Mavis by using Granville.

The New Suit.
Nurse Gladys wants Arkwright to buy a new suit as she is tired of seeing him old clothes and gives him a ultimatum.

Arkwright's Mobile Store.
To prove he is a man of enterprise, Arkwright buys a old Ice Cream Van for Granville to drive around in and promote a mobile store that doesn't go well with the neighbours.

Shedding At The Wedding.
Nurse Gladys takes Arkwright to a wedding who wears a old suit that's covered in mothballs and tells him to air out the trousers on the car that causes more problems for Arkwright.

St Albert's Day.
After asking Arkwright about his mother, Granville decides to ask about his father. Arkwright convinces him that his dad was Hungarian and a tourist comes to the shop who is actually Hungarian.

This season came with more laughs and ideas that we know that will never plan out. Granville knows how to make Arkwright jealous and rubs it in when he is hugged by Gladys and feels very smug about it. Granville does seem to be more flirty with the milk lady and with Mavis who isn't in all the episodes but it is a laugh when she appears.

Like this? Share it using the links below!