Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2022, 08:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Started watching season 1 of Wicked Science again with the first episode. Believe it or not, it is over 2 years since I saw season 1! (I am probably not going to review every episode again. Promise. )
Good opener, though a couple of odd things - 1), in my reviews I've been pronouncing Dina completely wrong for some reason - it's spoken as Deena - and
2) despite what I thought, Verity is in episode 1. Honestly I thought they added her in ep 2, to give Elizabeth someone to talk to and make the 3-against-1 lineup look less dodgy, but no, she's there in the first episode, sitting next to her in class and walking with her when she tries to talk to Toby later only to get the death stare from Dina. But she doesn't so much as get a line, and I couldn't remember her from back in the day - it had been 14 years and all I could remember was Toby and Elizabeth, the general premise and bits of one episode (season 2's Fever), so it's perhaps not surprising she didn't register with me here.
Still, a solid and fun opener and Bridget is gorgeous in it, even if Elizabeth is rather terrifying. I love that her idea of a practical joke is to switch a dodo egg for a T-rex one! (The mid 2000s TV CGI is woeful). To be fair, she clearly means it is a joke and a sort-of "we're both geniuses, isn't this going to be fun?!" message, as she actually gives Toby the heads-up as to what she's done, but f**k if that's her idea of a joke, I'd hate to see her when she's angry (we will. Frequently. Especially this season).
Old 16th July 2022, 04:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Has anyone watched Chernobyl is it worth a watch?
It's superb, one of the best miniseries I've watched this century.

I've seen four of Ms. Marvel's six episodes – I'll watch the last two this evening – and really enjoying it so far.

It's good to see increased representation on screen and, although the story seems to lack focus at times and needs to integrate all the different plot threads before the end, I'm impressed with how it involves Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel's close and extended family and shows how they (as they would in reality) speak in Urdu, Arabic, and English. Unsurprisingly, it has very good production values and her superpowers look really good – I'm watching the 4K stream with HDR and that shows how well it's been designed and filmed.

One of the highlights is Iman Vellani, who is superb as Kamala Khan. She is a very charismatic screen presence, adept at visual and verbal humour in the same way as Hailie Steinfeld was a real asset to the Hawkeye series

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 16th July 2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 17th July 2022, 02:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Star Maidens (1976).
How timely as well.
Dystopian and British you say?

I know I often say this, but I haven't quite seen anything like this ahem.
A new planet enters the solar system, bringing with it a new civillisation.
What follows is a tad uneven, but am just enthralled, yes it's a tad wordy, but the Earth bound sequences are a laugh riot so far ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th July 2022, 12:04 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's superb, one of the best miniseries I've watched this century.

I've seen four of Ms. Marvel's six episodes – I'll watch the last two this evening – and really enjoying it so far.

It's good to see increased representation on screen and, although the story seems to lack focus at times and needs to integrate all the different plot threads before the end, I'm impressed with how it involves Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel's close and extended family and shows how they (as they would in reality) speak in Urdu, Arabic, and English. Unsurprisingly, it has very good production values and her superpowers look really good – I'm watching the 4K stream with HDR and that shows how well it's been designed and filmed.

One of the highlights is Iman Vellani, who is superb as Kamala Khan. She is a very charismatic screen presence, adept at visual and verbal humour in the same way as Hailie Steinfeld was a real asset to the Hawkeye series
Thankfully and happily, the last two episodes of Ms. Marvel did exactly what I wanted them to so now I can't wait for The Marvels to appear on Disney+ next year.

I forgot to mention I watched the first two seasons of Westworld, a second viewing of each one and, because of the clever and complex themes, made it a more rewarding and engaging experience the first time.

I have the third season to watch next and will then get a week's free trial of Now TV so I can watch the fourth season.

If you haven't seen Westworld, I highly recommend it. It isn't something you can put on as background viewing because it demands your attention and is better when you pick up nuance and know exactly who each character is, their aims and motives,, and to what extent are they self-aware and/or human.
Old 17th July 2022, 01:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watching Star Maidens (1976).
How timely as well.
Dystopian and British you say?

I know I often say this, but I haven't quite seen anything like this ahem.
A new planet enters the solar system, bringing with it a new civillisation.
What follows is a tad uneven, but am just enthralled, yes it's a tad wordy, but the Earth bound sequences are a laugh riot so far ....
I watched this the other week. There's an episode towards the end of the series called Hideout where Blake, sorry, Shem, hides out with an earth woman and falls in love. Cracking episode.

There's another about rain on the alien planet which is a cracker too.

The disc has a good hour long interview with Gareth Thomas too.

Time for a rewatch of Year of the Sex Olympics to finish dystopian future time. That was fun...and then brutally serious in the second half.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th July 2022, 04:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched this the other week. There's an episode towards the end of the series called Hideout where Blake, sorry, Shem, hides out with an earth woman and falls in love. Cracking episode.

There's another about rain on the alien planet which is a cracker too.

The disc has a good hour long interview with Gareth Thomas too.

Time for a rewatch of Year of the Sex Olympics to finish dystopian future time. That was fun...and then brutally serious in the second half.
Hideout is next in line! Noted. The interview I'll certainly be perusing.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th July 2022, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Star Maidens II: He remembered this time

Well, that was a fun ride. Loved the last episode and would watch them again, the dynamic is backed up decent sets and that. Plus they run about in a quarry or two, which is fine by me .....

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 17th July 2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 17th July 2022, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Well, that was a fun ride. Loved the last episode and would watch them again, the dynamic is backed up decent sets and that. Plus the run about in a quarry or two, which is fine by me .....
The sets were pilfered from season two of Space 1999.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th July 2022, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I did think they looked familiar
A hoot tbh. The Earth set scenes were priceless and I look forward to revisiting it before the year's out.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 22nd July 2022, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The old man.

Stellar performances from both John Lithgow and Jeff Bridges , well worth watching and not saying more than that as don't won't too spoil it.

The Boys season 3

Just as depraved and sick as the other seasons bring on season 4.

Reacher

Based on the first book and as much as the movies were enjoyable this was so much better and Alan Ritchson is exactly how you would picture Reacher in the books who's a big chap and not the 5 foot whatever cruise is. Only downside not enough of Reacher with his top off!

Resident evil

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit worst Netflix show ever shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit most unlikable lead ever did I mention how utterly SHIT it is?

Also been watching season 3 of all mankind just as good as the others with great writing and one of the best sci-fi shows in years.

Like this? Share it using the links below!