Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13829Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2022, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Sandman and it turned out better than I thought it would very close to the source material , well acted and visual striking in areas . Know been complaints about changing Lucifer from a man too a woman and not getting Tom Ellis but his Lucifer just would not work with the tone of the show , while the Lucifer here is very close to in the comics also didn't have a problem with Jenna Coleman as Constantine who did better job than the mockery the character became in the arrow verse.

Started watching young Sheldon and have too say I'm enjoying this more than big bang.
Old 15th August 2022, 07:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've been watching Yes Minister for the first time in a decade. It's superbly written and it's amazing how much of it is still relevant.

Although MPs and civil servants will receive most of their updates from Twitter rather than the radio and do a lot of communicating by social media, they still leak information to journalists for favourable press.

Some things never change – a storyline in which Jim Hacker is horrified to find he is the subject of an unflattering story in Private Eye could have been in The Thick of It or a documentary about a real minister.

The scripts are incredibly clever; Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn highlight how a minister is constantly being pulled in several directions – they have a duty to their constituents, must toe the party line, obey collective cabinet responsibility, and have their own political beliefs and ambitions.

Furthermore, the civil servants have their own opinions on how the governmental machine can run most efficiently (probably without ministers getting in the way!) and the best way to 'moderate' a minister whose ambitions may be 'unwise'.

It's these tensions which allow the terrific interplay between Jim Hacker MP (Paul Eddington), his Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby (Nigel Hawthorne) and Principal Private Secretary, Bernard Woolley (Derek Fowlds).

I'm midway through the third series and have the two series of Yes, Prime Minister to watch when I've finished this disc.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 15th August 2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 15th August 2022, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've been watching Yes Minister for the first time in a decade. It's superbly written and it's amazing how much of it is still relevant.

Although MPs and civil servants will receive most of their updates from Twitter rather than the radio and do a lot of communicating by social media, they still leak information to journalists for favourable press.

Some things never change – a storyline in which Jim Hacker is horrified to find he is the subject of an unflattering story in Private Eye could have been in The Thick of It or a documentary about a real minister.

The scripts are incredibly clever; Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn highlight how a minister is constantly being pulled in several directions – they have a duty to their constituents, must toe the party line, obey collective cabinet responsibility, and have their own political beliefs and ambitions.

Furthermore, the civil servants have their own opinions on how the governmental machine can run most efficiently (probably without ministers getting in the way!) and the best way to 'moderate' a minister whose ambitions may be 'unwise'.

It's these tensions which allow the terrific interplay between Jim Hacker MP (Paul Eddington), his Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby (Nigel Hawthorne) and Principal Private Secretary, Bernard Woolley (Derek Fowlds).

I'm midway through the third series and have the two series of Yes, Prime Minister to watch when I've finished this disc.
I've just finished a run through of Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

It genuinely is comedy that doesn't date. If you think Yes Minister is still relevant then Yes Prime Minister could have been written today.
Old 17th August 2022, 11:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched the first 3 episodes of Watching last night. Surprisingly still rather good. Not hilarious but amusing and charming and entertaining. Must have been given I watched 3 in a row!
Old 18th August 2022, 12:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Red Rose ( BBC iplayer )
Only two episodes in, but it’s been pretty bloody good so far. Much better than I expected.

Last edited by Mojo; 18th August 2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 19th August 2022, 08:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Red Rose ( BBC iplayer )
Only two episodes in, but it’s been pretty bloody good so far. Much better than I expected.
I've heard good things about that so I've added it to my watchlist.

From the first couple of pages on iPlayer, I recommend The Responder, Sherwood, Time, I May Destroy You, The Tourist, This Is Going to Hurt, Ridley Road, The Cleaner, and The Goes Wrong Show.

I noticed The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is on there and I'm tempted to start watching that from the beginning.
MacBlayne and MrBarlow like this.
Old 20th August 2022, 11:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Red Rose ( BBC iplayer )
Mm I’ll have a nosey tbh I’ve got no idea what bbc offers these days I really haven’t a clue,
Still game
Dr who
Inside no 9
Line of duty
Roughly about all I’ve ever watched by bbc in at least 20 .
For some reason I just don’t bother with it anymore.
Old 20th August 2022, 11:10 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Mm I’ll have a nosey tbh I’ve got no idea what bbc offers these days I really haven’t a clue,
Still game
Dr who
Inside no 9
Line of duty
Roughly about all I’ve ever watched by bbc in at least 20 .
For some reason I just don’t bother with it anymore.
Did you never see The Night Manager, gag?

That was brilliant.
Old 20th August 2022, 01:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you never see The Night Manager, gag?

That was brilliant.
I second that recommendation. With a great script, assured direction, high production values, and brilliant performances from Hugh Laurie, Tom Hiddleston, Tom Hollander, and Olivia Colman, it's an outstanding television miniseries.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st August 2022, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

House M.D: Season 1

In a role that seemingly written for him, Hugh Laurie excels as the brilliant but sarcastic Doctor who is able to diagnose difficult Medical Cases also he's a prized jerk who effortlessly insults his friends, co-workers and patients. Really enjoyable Season but does have a slight lull in the middle episodes but in each of those episodes, there's still enjoyment in them. Robert Sean Lenard

Top Of The Pops: Secrets And Scandals

Another Channel 5 Documentary that tells some amazing behind the scenes stories of the iconic show. It doesn't go into great detail into it's main scandal but it's covered at the end.

I watched TOTP weekly from mid 94 until around 2000 and whilst I get why people didn't like the move to Fridays. But as I was at School/College at the time, it was the start of the Weekend for me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!