All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2022, 09:33 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The only one of the programs in the top 15 I watched was Ghosts.

Although it wasn't the strongest episode they've made, it was endearing and quite moving.
Old 27th December 2022, 05:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The 15 most watched television programmes for Christmas Day 2022
  1. The King’s Christmas Speech – 10.72m (multiple channels: BBC One – 8.12m, ITV1 – 1.43m, BBC Two – 0.93m, ITV3 – 0.175m, Sky News – 0.046m, GB News – 0.016m)
  2. Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special – 5.44m (BBC One)
  3. Michael McIntyre’s Christmas Wheel – 4.81m (BBC One)
  4. Call the Midwife – 4.49m (BBC One)
  5. Aladdin – 4.39m (BBC One)
  6. Ghosts – 3.92m (BBC One)
  7. Doc Martin – 3.26m (ITV1)
  8. EastEnders – 3.17m (BBC One)
  9. Coronation Street – 2.85m (ITV1)
  10. Ant and Dec’s Limitless Win – 2.69m (ITV1)
  11. The Chase Celebrity Christmas Special – 2.68m (ITV1)
  12. The Smeds and the Smoos – 2.67m (BBC One)
  13. Emmerdale – 2.56m (ITV1)
  14. Mrs Brown’s Boys – 2.44m (BBC One)
  15. ITV News – 2.30m (ITV1)
99% of that is just crap just shows the terrible state of terrestrial TV most of that I wouldn't inflict on my worst enemy.

What happened to the days when Christmas TV was worth watching!
Susan Foreman and iank like this.
Old 27th December 2022, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I would imagine that all the Freeview, Satellite and Streaming services would have had an impact.

Back in the 80's and 90's, most people would have had 4-5 channels, so viewing figures would have been better.

Whereas the Movie lineup especially the Premiers don't have the wow factor as compared to the days where seeing (And recording) Films like Labyrinth and Innerspace would have me all excited.

I believe the big Terrestrial Movie Premier over Xmas is Aladdin and No Time To Die, which I believe is New Year's Day
Old 27th December 2022, 08:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Finished all 3 seasons of On The Up. I could only vaguely recall it but thoroughly enjoyed it, a warm and funny series. Sam Kelly and Joan Sims killed it.
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 28th December 2022, 12:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I would imagine that all the Freeview, Satellite and Streaming services would have had an impact.

Back in the 80's and 90's, most people would have had 4-5 channels, so viewing figures would have been better.

Whereas the Movie lineup especially the Premiers don't have the wow factor as compared to the days where seeing (And recording) Films like Labyrinth and Innerspace would have me all excited.

I believe the big Terrestrial Movie Premier over Xmas is Aladdin and No Time To Die, which I believe is New Year's Day
Like you said we had 4 5 channels, now there’s literally hundreds, and streaming sites like shudder, Netflix, prime pluto tv and loads of others, so many you cant keep up with them and some you never heard of, so it’s hardly surprising viewing figures are low, especially when ppl can catch up weeks later by then the rating figures are out and long gone, out of the top 15 most Xmas days shows I watched 1, corrie, lol 😆
Old 28th December 2022, 11:10 AM
Cult Acolyte

I am very pleased to say that I never watched any programmes on that list. I have no interest in any of that crap at all and would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon.
Old 28th December 2022, 01:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

No Doctor Who = No Christmas Day viewing.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 29th December 2022, 12:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I am very pleased to say that I never watched any programmes on that list. I have no interest in any of that crap at all and would rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon.
Haven't you seen any of Ghosts, Dave? It's well-written, has funny and interesting characters, and is mildly amusing.

It's not something you'll probably laugh out loud, but it has an amusing, quirky sense of humour. The episodes are only half an hour long, so I recommend watching the first three (or the first six-episode series) to see what you think.
Old 29th December 2022, 12:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also watched a lot of The Simpsons Christmas specials in and around Christmas and Boxing Day, from the first season to the 28th, and though they vary in quality, they are all cleverly written, well illustrated, and superbly acted.

The Bones of St Nicholas, the Inside No. 9 Christmas special and the first in the eighth series. It's a brilliantly written and acted piece of television, drawing heavily on [spoiler]Don't Look Now [/spoiler], which I have seen it three times and it seems to improve every time. I can't write for the second episode in the series.

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse is a really sweet and endearing animated film. It's a short and quite minimalist story, though one with some very powerful bits of dialogue and great voice acting from Tom Hollander, interest older, Gabriel Byrne, and Jude Coward-Nicoll. I didn't know it was based on a book, but it was pleasing to see that the author, Charlie Mackesy, co-wrote and co-directed it.

The Christmas special of The Cleaner – A Clean Christmas – was as good as I hoped with Greg Davies again showing there is much more to him than being an exaggerated version of himself on Taskmaster.

Talking of 'as good as I hoped', I thought Count Magnus, this year's Ghost Story for Christmas, lived up to expectations, is another fine piece of work by Mark Gatiss, and is something I want to revisit before the year is out.

Before the Christmas period, I watched the first four seasons of American Horror Story: Murder House, Asylum, Coven, and Freak Show. I had only seen them once before and really enjoyed watching them again.

I am now watching the 10th season of The Walking Dead and will probably go straight onto the 11th season. I finished watching it earlier in November and thought the final episode was a perfect way to end the series.

Other series I've watched and recommend include: Tokyo Vice and The English on IPlayer, and Three Pines if you have Prime Video.
Old 29th December 2022, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse was the only piece of festive TV i actually watched and i loved the artwork and it got my eyes a bit moist, if people actually gathered round and watched xmas tv i wouldn't be surprised if it became a perennial classic, but because people are more interested in wanky monarch baiting and serial killers nowadays it will be forgotten by next Tuesday sadly.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!