All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2023, 07:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

30 minutes of the first episode of the new version of Django. That's all I could manage before I switched it off, and I'm surprised I lasted thet long! Boring as hell.

IMG_0648.jpg
Old 19th March 2023, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just finished Michael Palin's Hemingway Adventure in which he travels the world in the footsteps of the great writer and adventurer, Ernest Hemingway.

Palin begins the trail in Illinois where Hemingway was born and lived as a child then follows his life to Milan, Paris, Tanzania, Pamplona, Key West, Havana, Venice, the Belgian Congo and finally back to the United States and Idaho where he blew his brains out with a shotgun aged 61.

It's an amusing four episodes but mainly a fascinating glimpse into the life of a man Palin describes as "a boozy brawler, hunter and fisherman, a dangerous friend who loved to travel", someone i'd previously heard of but knew very little about.

The reason i chose To Have and Have Not from my Blu-ray to-watch pile last night was because it was loosely based on a novel written by Hemingway, a novel deemed unfilmable by most.
Old 20th March 2023, 02:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

1 4nHm0qOkydHEddMUCorf4w.jpg
Marvel's AGENTS OF SHIELD SEASON 1

The start of the Marvel TV shows, you know.. when they used to be good.. before Disney TV.
Very good first season. Lots of HYDRA here, and some episodes tie in to CAPTAIN AMERICA WINTER SOLDIER. Cameos from Nick Fury, Maria Hill and best of all Lady Sif gets an episode. Sif, wasted in the Thor movies gets a chance to shine and looks great, coming across as a confident Asgardian powerhouse.
Really enjoyed watching this season through again.

3QMfJRmh5TPeY6fiWCG6GQ-1200-80.jpg
Old 21st March 2023, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Started on Manhunt last night, a 1970 ITV British drama series about a resistance group in Occupied France. Very Secret Army. It's pretty good so far though. One thing I love about these shows - and that helps to get through the time barrier - is the presence of so many familiar actors. Even though two of the main stars listed on the box - Robert Hardy and Philip Madoc - weren't even in episode 1, you've still got loads of familiar faces like Peter Barkworth, David Burke, Alfred Lynch, Peter Copley, Yootha Joyce (didn't even recognise her at first but for her voice) and the ghosthunter from the Sapphire and Steel train station one. Off to a good start!
Old 21st March 2023, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Banshee

Antony Starr is a mysterious recently released Prisoner who arrives in the Amish Town of Banshee where circumstances allow him to take over as the Town's Sherriff. However there are many Criminals who ply their trade there including Kai Proctor.

He is also on the trail of his former Girlfriend whose Father is hunting him down.

This is a fantastic Series, full of Action and excellent Fight Scenes. Antony Starr is an amazing Actor, here he's the all Action Hero (Not out of place in 80's-90's Action Movies) whereas in The Boys, he's the preening, egotistical manchild. Also the Fight Scenes show him being on the receiving end. I also like that Proctor's main Henchman isn't this giant behemoth but a ordinary looking man with a sadistic side.

Even though there was only 38 episodes, covering 4 Season's, I believe it ended before it got stale.

oh yeah, I believe that 95% of the female cast got naked
Old 21st March 2023, 09:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Banshee

Antony Starr is a mysterious recently released Prisoner who arrives in the Amish Town of Banshee where circumstances allow him to take over as the Town's Sherriff. However there are many Criminals who ply their trade there including Kai Proctor.

He is also on the trail of his former Girlfriend whose Father is hunting him down.

This is a fantastic Series, full of Action and excellent Fight Scenes. Antony Starr is an amazing Actor, here he's the all Action Hero (Not out of place in 80's-90's Action Movies) whereas in The Boys, he's the preening, egotistical manchild. Also the Fight Scenes show him being on the receiving end. I also like that Proctor's main Henchman isn't this giant behemoth but a ordinary looking man with a sadistic side.

Even though there was only 38 episodes, covering 4 Season's, I believe it ended before it got stale.

oh yeah, I believe that 95% of the female cast got naked
Banshee was excellent.

The episode with the fight! F*ck me!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st March 2023, 09:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Started on Manhunt last night, a 1970 ITV British drama series about a resistance group in Occupied France. Very Secret Army. It's pretty good so far though. One thing I love about these shows - and that helps to get through the time barrier - is the presence of so many familiar actors. Even though two of the main stars listed on the box - Robert Hardy and Philip Madoc - weren't even in episode 1, you've still got loads of familiar faces like Peter Barkworth, David Burke, Alfred Lynch, Peter Copley, Yootha Joyce (didn't even recognise her at first but for her voice) and the ghosthunter from the Sapphire and Steel train station one. Off to a good start!
Sounds just up my street, Ian.

I've really enjoyed all the war time series i've bought and seen - Colditz, Secret Army, Kessler, Enemy at the Door, Wish Me Luck, Danger UXB, oh yeah and of course Foyle's War.

Is the picture of good quality?
iank likes this.
Old 21st March 2023, 10:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's decent.
Old 25th March 2023, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Britpop: Music That Changed Britain

4 part Documentary chronicling the rise and fall the British Indie Music Scene from 94-97. Full of Songs and Interviews from the major Bands like Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Suede and the other Bands like Ash, Ocean Color Scene, Shed Seven...etc.

As it was the Soundtrack to my Teen years, I really enjoyed the Interviews from the Bands I followed as well as finding out about the issues I was unaware of at the time.

Unfortunately it appeared not to do well when on Channel 5 for the past 2 Sundays as the other 2 Episodes were dropped from that slot and put on at 2 in the morning last Thursday and Friday, but they are on My5.
Old 27th March 2023, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started two series

Swarm and Shrinking

The former centres around someone who is put upon, until she isn't. Intrigued by the opener, I'll stick with this one ...

The latter stars Jason Segal as a man who has let things slip and he knows it. Not sure with this one, it may bring the schmaltz later methinks ... hmmm.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!