Like Tree13831Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Surprisingly dark and funny. It begins with a suicide and, over the course of the season, follows the women in a street to find out why the woman killed herself. She is the narrator and it has a Twin Peaks feel to it, in terms of the 'murder mystery' and what lies behind the picket fence. All the seasons are on Amazon Instant Video (formerly Lovefilm) if you have that.

Also, Eva Longoria looks really hot, which is a bonus!
I picked up the first series for a pound last week and watched it over the course of a few nights. I too was hugely surprised by it. As you say it's quite dark and also lightly quirky at the same time, in other places laugh out loud funny. I also agree it had that Twin Peaks feel to it.

On the whole i was really impressed by it and will definitely seek out the second series sooner rather than later.

As for Eva Longoria. I felt she was, for the first three quarters of it, the weakest of the four women but improved during the last five or so episodes with all the problems with her jail bird husband.
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Outlaw star 8/10
Star blazers season 1 8/10
Psycho pass 9.5/10

Really enjoyed this one, a very dark with a great soundtrack and animation, great story and character development . Think of it as a cross between minority report, ghost in the shell and shows like criminal mind. Well worth seeing out if your a fan of more serous and adult anime.
Two old school classics and Psycho pass which deserves to become one in my opinion. I really enjoyed it as well..

Spin offs of starblazers are all worth seeking out. Gun frontier, Queen esmereldas and Arcadia of my youth. I'm a bit of a leiji matsumoto fan and i'm lucky enough to have scored Arcadia on dvd. Also Galaxy express and Galaxy railways stuff is also worth checking out.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 3rd May 2014, 09:10 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I picked up the first series for a pound last week and watched it over the course of a few nights. I too was hugely surprised by it. As you say it's quite dark and also lightly quirky at the same time, in other places laugh out loud funny. I also agree it had that Twin Peaks feel to it.
I forgot about the quirky aspect, which felt a little like one of Bryan Fuller's TV shows.
Old 3rd May 2014, 10:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoying the Ripping Yarns repeats on BBC4 at the moment.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd May 2014, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One piece

Enjoying this, heard bad things about the dub but a little research that was the 4kids version not funimation, went on YouTube to see how bad 4kids is and it deserves it reputation . Only downside it's like crack I can't stop watching it!
keirarts and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 4th May 2014, 06:30 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
One piece

Enjoying this, heard bad things about the dub but a little research that was the 4kids version not funimation, went on YouTube to see how bad 4kids is and it deserves it reputation . Only downside it's like crack I can't stop watching it!
And it's never going to end!

Well over 600 episodes and counting!
Old 4th May 2014, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching dragon ball and this scene nearly made me choke on my drink. How the hell did they get away with it.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5La0OyYA-lU
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th May 2014, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

Problem I have with the anime of One Piece is it's schizothrenic relationship with the manga. One episode can be based on five panels of the comic or can span 5 chapters. As a result some shit gets left out and some crap gets added. It's utterly incomprehensible to me and I stopped watching it at Ennis Lobby.

DVD and BD collection
Old 4th May 2014, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Problem I have with the anime of One Piece is it's schizothrenic relationship with the manga. One episode can be based on five panels of the comic or can span 5 chapters. As a result some shit gets left out and some crap gets added. It's utterly incomprehensible to me and I stopped watching it at Ennis Lobby.
Really think 600plus episodes is a bit much, don't think I'll be watching all of them can't see the quality continuing as the show goes on and have they even found the one piece after all those episodes?
Old 4th May 2014, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Such is the problem with anime. Especially the long running stuff. Same problems with Bleach, Naruto, fairy tail... well pretty much every long running show I can think of. Hell, read the Ranma 1/2 manga and then check out the anime. They literally give up trying to adapt the manga a few shows in and then many years worth of shows that are all new material. It never bothered me so much as I've been into this stuff for about 25 years and i'm used to knowing the manga experience and the anime experience will be two separate experiences. I do think some of the younger audiences I speak to have yet to really appreciate this. A lot has to do with the fact the anime and manga are usually running tandem to each other. This is the reason Full metal alchemist and Hunter x hunter have two separate shows, the anime team catch up to the manga reeeal quick.

Personally I prefer the one piece anime to the manga. I'm well over 300 episodes in and so far no drop in quality for me at all. The only thing thats ever bothered me is the nagging sensation that i'll hit my 60th birthday and the crew will still be sailing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!