Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching season 2 of 13 reasons why and season one of Space 1999.
Old 4th June 2018, 08:58 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Watching season 2 of 13 reasons why and season one of Space 1999.
Any thoughts you'd like to share?

I have Space 1999 in my Zavvi basket, but haven't checked out because I haven't heard anything about it and have an enormous "to watch" list.
Old 4th June 2018, 09:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

I have Space 1999 in my Zavvi basket, but haven't checked out because I haven't heard anything about it and have an enormous "to watch" list.
always liked space 1999 its a little corny and a bit trippy. its a really nice HD transfer and a big improvement over the dvds, if you like Anderson's other shows think you will like it.

enjoying 13 reasons why but too early to tell if its as good as the first.
Old 4th June 2018, 09:13 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
always liked space 1999 its a little corny and a bit trippy. its a really nice HD transfer and a big improvement over the dvds, if you like Anderson's other shows think you will like it.
Thanks. I think the only Gerry Anderson shows I've seen are Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons – I've never seen Fireball XL5, Supercar or Space 1999. If the latter is like the first three shots I mentioned, then it's likely to be something I enjoy.
Old 4th June 2018, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
The dvd picture quality was superb anyway, the prints sparkled, Treb suggests they weren't great when they are.

The series is one of two halves Nos. Series one is serious space opera with the moon base and her crew basically trying to survive after being cut off from the earth's orbit following a massive explosion as the moon hurtles through space, whereas series two brings in Catherine Schell as Maya - a shape changing alien - and the series becomes more fun.

I also disagree with it being a little corny. It was superbly acted from the likes of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain and had a high caliber of guest star such as Joan Collins, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and directors including Val Guest and Peter Medak. On top of that the miniature effects work is exemplary with both the Moonbase and the Eagle space ships coming across as very realistic. It was far superior to the FX work on Universal's Battlestar Galactica for example a few years later where the Cylon ships all flew in the exact same formation as they were clearly superimposed on the screen.
Old 4th June 2018, 01:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The dvd picture quality was superb anyway, the prints sparkled, Treb suggests they weren't great when they are.

The series is one of two halves Nos. Series one is serious space opera with the moon base and her crew basically trying to survive after being cut off from the earth's orbit following a massive explosion as the moon hurtles through space, whereas series two brings in Catherine Schell as Maya - a shape changing alien - and the series becomes more fun.

I also disagree with it being a little corny. It was superbly acted from the likes of Martin Landau and Barbara Bain and had a high caliber of guest star such as Joan Collins, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee and directors including Val Guest and Peter Medak. On top of that the miniature effects work is exemplary with both the Moonbase and the Eagle space ships coming across as very realistic. It was far superior to the FX work on Universal's Battlestar Galactica for example a few years later where the Cylon ships all flew in the exact same formation as they were clearly superimposed on the screen.
i should of said the second season is, its almost like two different shows, with the first being very serious and the second less so but more fun, strangely as a kid i preferred the second but now i enjoy the first more, but has been sometime sine i watched the second. agree on special effects for superior to most stuff of the time and still stands up well today and the Eagels were cool

the only thing that dates it, is the clothes etc, people wearing flares and 70s haircuts
Old 4th June 2018, 07:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now watching this, a lot less serious than space 1999.

MrBarlow likes this.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the extra information about Space 1999, guys – I'll probably buy the first season and see what I think.

Old 4th June 2018, 10:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Thanks for the extra information about Space 1999, guys – I'll probably buy the first season and see what I think.

It's cheaper to buy complete series at zavvi than buying them individual any place else
Old 4th June 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It's cheaper to buy complete series at zavvi than buying them individual any place else
I thought that was just for the first season, so that makes the set even better!

Like this? Share it using the links below!