Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th June 2018, 08:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

On Gotham season 3. Still very entertaining, even if it does get sillier and sillier (I still can't quite figure out why a multi-billionaire like Bruce Wayne has approximately zero security at his manor other than Alfred!), though I confess to being more than a mite pissed at what they've done with Ivy. Just... why?
Old 20th June 2018, 09:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
On Gotham season 3. Still very entertaining, even if it does get sillier and sillier (I still can't quite figure out why a multi-billionaire like Bruce Wayne has approximately zero security at his manor other than Alfred!), though I confess to being more than a mite pissed at what they've done with Ivy. Just... why?
season 4 she becomes the Ivy you know from the comics
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th June 2018, 09:24 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

While I'm recording the fourth season and before they disappeared from iPlayer, I've recently watched the first three seasons of The Bridge, a series where I had seen the first two seasons but not the third.

I don't speak Swedish or Danish so even on a second viewing, I'm often unsure as to where the events are taking place and from which country the characters hail. This complicates things when the show is based on cross-border policing and travel between Sweden and Denmark, often making the language and location significant. Although it wasn't the case in the first series, the second and third ended in a way which wasn't unsatisfactory, but left me wanting a bit more explanation about what exactly had happened!

That quibble aside, it's a show with a number of very well developed plot lines, some are (as you expect with a crime drama) dead ends, characters are red herrings or have been developed in such a way that their behaviour can be unpredictable, but the principal wants, particularly Saga, are brilliantly realised and brought to life by the actors.

I am not going to watch the fourth until it's finished where I will probably do the same as the previous ones and watch it over a couple of days, putting my computer to one side and concentrate on the subtitles.
Old 20th June 2018, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started watching season two of a series of unfortunate events.

Also started watching what is perhaps the greatest British sitcom.

Old 21st June 2018, 06:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

SUPERGIRL S3 EP23 "Battles Lost and Won" Season Finale

Supergirl, Alura, Guardian and the Legion take on Reign in a final battle..

Good end to the season. The Reign story has been going all season and I am glad we can move on now.
Lots of changes happening at the end of the episode and I am thinking that a Legion Of Superheroes CW show could happen.
If it includes Saturn Girl (Amy Jackson) I'm in for that !

DTpTDh8VoAANSSq.jpg
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd June 2018, 04:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I’m a few episodes in of Slasher season 1, which is an anthology horror series. It’s not ground-breaking television, but it’s definitely solid entertainment. A good cast portrays likable characters, the mystery is intriguing, it features effective sequences of blood soaked violence, and it’s tightly paced.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 22nd June 2018, 05:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Started watching season two of a series of unfortunate events.

Also started watching what is perhaps the greatest British sitcom.

Be careful Susan will say otherwise
keirarts likes this.
Old 22nd June 2018, 08:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

I did like the homage to (or blatant steal from) Batman Returns with Selina in the most recent Gotham I watched!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 22nd June 2018, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict

Dick Turpin

Picked up Dick Turpin series 2 dvd set from a charity shop a few weeks ago so been watching these in bursts over the past week.

250px-DTurpin.jpg

I used to like this as a kid when it was shown on T.V (1979 - 82), so i wondered how i would feel about it now.

This is the second series so i haven't watched it from the start, but it is easy to just pick up and get into as it's not very complicated.

Basically Richard o' Sullivan is Turpin and he and his mate Swift Nick are on the run, they spend their time dodging soldiers, holding up the rich in their carriages and wooing the wenches they meet.

Dick_Turpin_und_Swiftnick-670x415.jpg

Each episode is only 25 minutes long (there are occasional two part stories) so it sticks to a basic format which usually involves Turpin being chased on horseback, hiding out and wearing a disguise to foil soldiers, or helping someone they meet.

This usually ends up in some kind of sword fight and Turpin giving someone a pouch of money to help them out (he's a bit Robin Hood this Turpin).

Dem wondered wether the show holds up now, to me it does.

Although the episodes are brief, this was generally a good thing as i never found any of the stories dragging, although personally i think some are too brief and could have easily be stretched to 40minutes.

The acting is uniformly good throughout the cast, and for the most part it is acted straight, barring the odd cameo.
There is a camaraderie between Turpin and Nick which can at times be jokey, but the series never becomes too silly or nods at the audience, and the costumes and locations are used to great effect to set the scene.

ep-1-another-disguise.jpg

The series treads the fine line between being able to be watched by kids and be entertaining and being well made and interesting enough to hold an adults attention span.

I've been really enjoying it, it follows a story of the week type format, and at 25 minutes is perhaps too short, but i've been watching two or three episodes most nights this week and it's a nice cosy watch and something to unwind down to before bedtime.

If like me you enjoy late 70's style British T.V then i'd say give it a shot. Recommended.

il_340x270.1429660278_fik7.jpg

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 22nd June 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 22nd June 2018, 06:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching season two of Luke Cage.

Like this? Share it using the links below!