Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2019, 07:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Finished watching Sons of Anarchy last night, it’s taken me a little over a week to binge all 7 Seasons and I’m putting it up there with Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones as a series without a single bad episode, absolutely amazing TV and I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to watch it!
Has anyone checked out the spinoff Mayans M.C yet? Just wondering if it will be any good without the Tellers being the main focus
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th April 2019, 09:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Finished watching Sons of Anarchy last night, it’s taken me a little over a week to binge all 7 Seasons and I’m putting it up there with Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones as a series without a single bad episode, absolutely amazing TV and I can’t believe it’s taken me so long to watch it!
Has anyone checked out the spinoff Mayans M.C yet? Just wondering if it will be any good without the Tellers being the main focus
At last someone else who has seen Sons.

It really is one of the very best shows to hit tv.

I didn't even know Mayans was on BBC2 until i saw a trailer for the third episode. I'll definitely be buying the box set. It's from the same creative team and some characters from Sons do pop up i understand. It's been renewed for a second series so that's promising.

I trust you saw The Shield, Rik? An equally good series from Kurt Sutter.

Half the cast from that show featured in Sons of Anarchy.
Old 4th April 2019, 10:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
At last someone else who has seen Sons.

It really is one of the very best shows to hit tv.

I didn't even know Mayans was on BBC2 until i saw a trailer for the third episode. I'll definitely be buying the box set. It's from the same creative team and some characters from Sons do pop up i understand. It's been renewed for a second series so that's promising.

I trust you saw The Shield, Rik? An equally good series from Kurt Sutter.

Half the cast from that show featured in Sons of Anarchy.

I’ve never seen The Shield, but after thoroughly enjoying Sons, it’s next on my list to check out, heard plenty of good things about it
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th April 2019, 10:38 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I’ve never seen The Shield, but after thoroughly enjoying Sons, it’s next on my list to check out, heard plenty of good things about it
Nice one. It's another hard hitting show, very gritty and gets better and better with each passing series.
Rik likes this.
Old 4th April 2019, 02:49 PM
Cult Master

In January, I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Lost - Series 1 - 3
This is wonderful. Am thoroughly enjoying it. It's complex, simplistic, episodic, confusing, mesmerising, puzzling... Yes, it asks more questions than it dreams of answering, but it has become compulsive viewing for me. Sadly I have ground to a halt because although I have the 5th and 6 series ready to go, I have been unable to find any cheap copies of the 4th one yet, so it'll have to take a back seat until someone gives it to my local CEX!

Re-watch value: Yes, without a doubt. It seems to be one of those shows that demands you watch it a number of time to catch all the clues, references and foreshadowing of events to come
I have now managed to see the entire 6 series of the show, and I'm pleased (and frustrated) to say that it almost continued to be an excellent programme

The 4th and 5th series followed the same path as the previous three - survivors of an air crash on a mysterious island try to find answers to a myriad of questions and escape back to civilisation

To say too much about the actual storyline will result in many spoilers, which obviously I don't want to do. I don't want to ruin anyones first-time watch of these magnificent episodes

The final series, however, was a real let down. It decended into a standard 'good vs. evil' plot, which was really disappointing considering the care, attention and skill that had gone before.

As the final credits on the final episode rolled, there were still a lot of questions that had not been addressed.

In all, I enjoyed the show, but I should have stopped at the conclusion of the 5th series and left it at that instead of continuing with something that turned into a massive shaggy dog story

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th April 2019, 11:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching.
Old 10th April 2019, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching this. Took a couple of episodes to get into it but really enjoying it, aged surprisingly well for its age. Well written and funny and the character of Bilko is a fantastic creation played to perfection by Phil Silvers.

Old 12th April 2019, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the first seasons of I Dream of Jeannie and Walker Texas Ranger.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 13th April 2019, 12:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Melrose Place season 1. I haven't seen this in 20 years since it went off-air, and I haven't seen this season since it first aired, a frankly unbelievable 26 years ago. (Dear God, I'm old!) I'm enjoying it so far, though it doesn't really become the show everyone remembers until the second half of the season IIRC. The first half is a relatively light hearted and restrained drama, not the OTT lurid soap it will soon become. The biggest shock going back is how completely different Michael is early on. He clearly has a bit of a temper but is otherwise a mature-minded, faithful and loving husband and caring doctor. Soon he will of course become the scheming, smirking, cheating rat we all remember lol! We've seen Kimberly a couple of times (again, very different and normal so far!) and the last one I saw just introduced Sydney. My, I forgot what a cute little vixen she was.

I'm having nostalgic fun so far, so I can see me getting the rest if this keeps up.
Old 13th April 2019, 10:54 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

About a week ago, I finished watching the entire The World at War series, a monumentally impressive and informative series. The range of contributors is remarkable, from Holocaust survivors to Albert Speer, Traudl Junge (Hitler's secretary) to Lord Avon, covering the totality of the conflict: civilian, military, and political, and from almost every nation.

The 26 episodes are exhaustive enough by themselves, but there's a further wealth of information on the extended interviews and other documentaries on the bonus discs, making this a great watch for anyone who is interested in World War II and modern history in general.

I watched the first series of The Power Game, a series from 1966 which is dated because of the technology and pace of life at the time, but something which is still extremely well written and performed. It's a shame the source material hadn't been better preserved because the sound quality can be very poor at times, and the same goes for the visuals when it is obvious the film has degraded and not been fully restored.

Despite the A/V issues, I will move on to the second series at some point

On Thursday, I began watching Line of Duty from the very beginning on iPlayer because people I know are watching the fifth series, and I finished it last night, immediately watching the first episode from the second series. It's a brilliant crime drama by Jed Mercurio, arguably superior to his highly rated (and very popular) Bodyguard.

It's shocking and compelling viewing, and it won't take me long to finish the four series which have been broadcast in their entirety. I'll then move on to the fifth series on the week of the last episode – it's something I think I could only binge watch and would hate to wait a whole week between episodes!

Like this? Share it using the links below!