Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2019, 02:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I don't think i recalled any problems with the sound on The Power Game, Nos. It might have had that 'sss' sound after some sections of dialogue but it was always clearly audible.
Old 13th April 2019, 03:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I watched the first series of Boardwalk Empire this week.

A good if not outstanding show set in 1920's Atlantic City amid the back drop of prohibition and the rise of the Mob.

Steve Buscemi was outstanding as Atlantic City's corrupt treasurer Nucky Thompson, and the rest of the cast was also uniformly excellent from Michael Shannon's religiously immoral Federal agent to Michael Pitt as Nucky's protege to Gretchen Mol, who at the moment is sadly underused, as Pitt's mother. Jack Huston is outstanding too as a disfigured war veteran wearing a tin mask over half his face. Huston evokes sympathy, even has he assassinates people for the mob.

The Atlantic City boardwalk was built from scratch for this production and looks immense as does the whole of the production design from sets to costumes - the lot.

Also what i do find fascinating is the way the series depicts the rise to power of the American gangster such as Arnold Rothstein, Al Capone (Scouser Stephen Graham...who woulda thought it'?) 'Lucky' Luciano, 'Bugsy' Siegel and more. The Prohibition era (1920-33) was completely to blame for the rise of the mob in the US thanks to the trafficking of illegal alcohol.

After watching the film Atlantic City starring Burt Lancaster for the first time quite recently i've found this series regarding the growth of the place quite fascinating and at times been amazed seeing the connections the series had to the film in regard to the mob. So far with one series down (out of five) Boardwalk Empire is good, if not great, but i do expect that greatness to arrive quite quickly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d8341bfc7553ef0168ea5b1a14970c-800wi.jpg (38.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 13th April 2019, 05:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
About a week ago, I finished watching the entire The World at War series, a monumentally impressive and informative series. The range of contributors is remarkable, from Holocaust survivors to Albert Speer, Traudl Junge (Hitler's secretary) to Lord Avon, covering the totality of the conflict: civilian, military, and political, and from almost every nation.

The 26 episodes are exhaustive enough by themselves, but there's a further wealth of information on the extended interviews and other documentaries on the bonus discs, making this a great watch for anyone who is interested in World War II and modern history in general.
I remember watching all of these when i was very young on tv with my family, it was really fascinating and a great series but i'm pretty sure it contributed greatly to me developing depression as i got older.

It should be shown in school, or at least a couple of parts of it because people should never forget what happened, but when people are a bit older, maybe 14/15 years old alongside that "They shall not grow old" film.

I think i must have been about 9.
Pretty much wiped out any childhood innocence i had left.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 15th April 2019, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching this.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think i recalled any problems with the sound on The Power Game, Nos. It might have had that 'sss' sound after some sections of dialogue but it was always clearly audible.
It wasn't really a problem, more the lack of clarity which comes with a TV show which is over 50 years old and hasn't been remastered. Is not unwatchable by any means, just less distinct than anything else I have watched recently.
Old 17th April 2019, 10:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished season two of chilling adventures of Sabrina. Sabrina is now enrolled full time at the academy for the dark Lord and this season we find out Sabrinas true parentage and what this has in store for Greendale and the rest of the world. Even more darker and Gory than the last. Michelle Gomez still shines as Madame Satan.

Watched the first disc of Mork and Mindy, aged well thanks to Robin Williams as an adult I can now get a lot more from this because of jokes I wouldn't get as a kid, the live audience of the show must of been in for a treat as from the extras on disc he was always going of script etc and had the audience and crew in stitches.

Now watching some Looney Tunes.

Last edited by trebor8273; 17th April 2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 20th April 2019, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching this show about the greatest murder in history!

nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 20th April 2019, 07:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Im watching the remake of Dynasty, I didn't think i'd like it but Im enjoying it so far
trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 20th April 2019, 07:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Im watching the remake of Dynasty, I didn't think i'd like it but Im enjoying it so far
Lack of shoulder pads and hairy muffs so im out
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Finished season two of chilling adventures of Sabrina. Sabrina is now enrolled full time at the academy for the dark Lord and this season we find out Sabrinas true parentage and what this has in store for Greendale and the rest of the world. Even more darker and Gory than the last. Michelle Gomez still shines as Madame Satan.

Watched the first disc of Mork and Mindy, aged well thanks to Robin Williams as an adult I can now get a lot more from this because of jokes I wouldn't get as a kid, the live audience of the show must of been in for a treat as from the extras on disc he was always going of script etc and had the audience and crew in stitches.

Now watching some Looney Tunes.
Sam loves Sabrina and similar shows she just finished the good witch, not really my scene .

Like this? Share it using the links below!