Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television

Like Tree13822Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2019, 11:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mein Liebster Feind (My Best Friend).

Nice documentary made by Werner Herzog charting the lifestyle of Klaus Kinski from their time making movies and the actor's volatile tantrums on set during the making of Aguirre, The Wrath of God and Fitzcarraldo which would be for a love-hate friendship and speaking to people who worked with them. Recommended to watch for fans of Kinski and Herzog.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Things I've recently been watching on TV:

Criminal – there are four of these (UK, Spain, France, Germany) and they are all very good. Each one involves a team of detectives interrogating a suspect they have arrested. The episodes are stand-alone but there is a loose narrative thread about the team which makes them interesting as a series as well as individual episodes. I enjoyed all of the series and went straight from the UK onto the Spanish, then France, and then finished with Germany. If you have Netflix, it's something I highly recommend.

The Capture – this was a fascinating show which begins with a soldier, freed on appeal and then arrested for the kidnap of his barrister, then moving onto the incriminating evidence purportedly showing the kidnap. It's a TV show which is best watched in a short a period of time as possible and will make any viewer keep an eye out for CCTV cameras, wonder what is being done with the footage of them in public spaces, and treat shows like Crimewatch which make heavy use of CCTV footage with a degree of scepticism in future. By the end, you will probably not look at your smartphone the same way again!

Peaky Blinders – I'd only previously seen the first season and I'm not sure why I didn't watch any more or why I felt like watching it again, but I did, beginning with the first episode and going straight through to the end of the fifth season. It's a show I really like and think is smartly written, very well acted and directed, and makes a bold use of music, with contemporary songs by artists including Nick Cave, PJ Harvey and Radiohead playing on a show with a period setting, starting in 1919 and has just finished at the beginning of the 1930s.

Bob's Burgers – always good to watch when winding down before going to sleep, so rewatching the second and third seasons was a joy. It won't be long before I move on to the fourth season again.

South Park – I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but this show has evolved so much beyond its original incarnation it is almost unrecognisable from when it first hit the screens in the 1990s and is less a comedy show then a satirical documentary series. So far, it's looked at the way that companies compromise themselves to gain access to the Chinese market, taken aim at anti-vaxxers, taken a humorous look at the growth of plant-based 'meat' and the way the US government has dealt with immigrants.

Swamp Thing – I really like the movie, but I'm not altogether convinced about the slightly ponderous nature of this small screen spin-off. It's an interesting story and I like the environmental message which seems to be there in the subtext. The cast, including Virginia Madsen, Will Patton and Jennifer Beals is solid, if unspectacular, but the visual effects are top-notch and I'm really looking forward to seeing out the last two episodes play out.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 9th November 2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 9th November 2019, 05:13 PM
Cult Veteran

Default What TV Have You Seen?

The Stand

M-O-O-N that spells “bloody long-winded.” I’ve watched 3 out of the 4 episodes so far and it’s so long, but nothing happens. It’s also overly sentimental, like do we need to hear the whole national anthem sung in full with close-ups of the teary eyed congregation?

I’m going to watch the final episode because if you’ve invested four and half hours out of six you may as well see it through. I doubt I’ll be watching it again though, it’ll be in CEX next week

The Americas with Simon Reeve

Travelogue with a twist. I love watching the Simon Reeve programmes, he goes to the well travelled places but shows you the bits you wouldn’t normally see. In the first episode you were given indigenous people being kidnapped and murdered, the second episode you got cowboys in Montana and legal cannabis shopping in Colorado, and the last episode I’ve watched people living inside a freeway bridge in LA due to the housing shortage and the high cost of rents. He hasn’t even got into Central or South America yet!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th November 2019, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Spartacus: Vengeance (2012)

An outrageous mix of rampant sex, Roman political scheming and insanely gory violence, Spartacus: Vengeance like the previous series i watched - Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena - is a hell of a lot of fun made even better by the fact that lovely Lucy Lawless is game for anything.

Best scene - Episode 7 - Sacramentum - Spartacus quells an uprising in his ranks by slicing off the face of Seddulus, the main aggressor, from the chin upwards then watching as his brains ooze out - all in very gory detail.

A series not for the feint of stomach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPARTACUSVENGEANCEY2012S01E002-474x677-PST.jpg (76.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 9th November 2019, 06:34 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Blood and Sand and Gods of the Arena
I keep meaning to give this a go, i'll have to pick up a cheap DVD at some point, after I move, I'm not buying more stuff to pack

EDIT:: All 4 seasons are on Netflix

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th November 2019, 10:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After all the yellow folks, I dug out Threads , which is still as cripplingly grim as ever. As tensions escalate in the background, everyman Reece Dinsdale gets on wi'it. Sadly events overtake any prior plans .... as bleak as it gets to be fair, that it retains its power to shock a testament to its makers.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th November 2019, 12:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Doctor Foster (2015)

Seeing as i really like Suranne Jones i thought i'd give this acclaimed series a go. After twenty minutes of this drama about a woman who discovers her husband is having an affair i was wondering how they could possibly stretch it out over five hourly episodes.

However it's testament to both writer Mike Bartlett and a very good cast that at the end of the first episode i was moving on straight away to episode two. In all honesty i could have watched the whole thing in one go but eventually allowed it to play out over two evenings.

A series that grips you from the first episode and was at times both surprising, often funny, sometimes rather dark but always extremely watchable. And yes, Suranne Jones was brilliant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suranne.jpg (84.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 16th November 2019, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Started watching The Boys
Very entertaining tis
Should finish it tonight methinks ....
Recommended.
Dave Boy and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th November 2019, 09:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, I feel that I have to reiterate about The Boys .
Without any spoilers
Hmmmm.
Great use of music. Nastier than Watchmen (NOT the new series, down at t'back there!)
Ahem. Karl Urban and Banshee battle it out in a meta textual melee
Hmmm. Too soon??
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
Old 17th November 2019, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default AVED III

Now back to Ash methinks ...

Enjoying this, the last series
They obviously couldn't get rid of Lee Majors
Up to the 5th already
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!