Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2020, 09:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Tales of the Unexpected: Proof of Guilt. One locked room on the sixth floor of an office building. Two men, one shot dead. No other exits. No other suspects. But if it's such an open and shut case, what the hell has the killer done with the murder weapon? Roy Marsden guest stars in this great episode of the 70s/80s British anthology series, with a cool twist I didn't work out.
Old 7th July 2020, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just finished the second series of Bottom (Except for Holy which i'll save for Christmas as it's a Christmas episode) and 'S Out was the standout episode.

In it Richie and Eddie go camping on Wimbledon Common. Naturally it's chaos from first to last as the guys put up their tent, go fishing, make a camp fire and encounter a Womble not to mention a flasher.

Superb stuff and laugh out loud funny.

Old 7th July 2020, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Just finished the second series of Bottom (Except for Holy which i'll save for Christmas as it's a Christmas episode) and 'S Out was the standout episode.

In it Richie and Eddie go camping on Wimbledon Common. Naturally it's chaos from first to last as the guys put up their tent, go fishing, make a camp fire and encounter a Womble not to mention a flasher.

Superb stuff and laugh out loud funny.

I'm pretty sure it was this episode, but when it was first due to air there was a murder or rape or something in that area, so they didn't air it for a few years.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 7th July 2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 7th July 2020, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Yeah, that's right. A murder on Wimbledon Common so they thought they'd better ban the episode for three years.

Pathetic!
Old 7th July 2020, 11:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Miss Marple: Sleeping Murder. A young couple buy a house in the English countryside, but the young woman, who comes from New Zealand, begins to get the uneasy feeling that she has somehow been in this house before as a young child - and witnessed a murder. But digging up the past can be deadly... Another thoroughly enjoyable mystery from the Joan Hickson adaptations. Pure class.
Old 8th July 2020, 09:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Taggart: Nest of Vipers. Following the discovery of the skulls of two young women, a research lab is broken into and a number of deadly snakes and spiders stolen - which are then used to try and prevent the victims ever being identified. One of the best - and scariest - Taggart stories, with a dark ending, real sick puppy of a killer, and some pure nightmare fuel scenes. You'll check your bed before getting in it after watching this one!
This also has some familiar Who guest stars including Michael Cochrane and Geoffrey Beevers - and blink and you'll miss her as a shop assistant - a young Michelle Gomez!
Old 11th July 2020, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching it's always sunny in Philadelphia from the beginning .
Old 12th July 2020, 01:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science: Superfish. Desperate to impress new girl Nikki, Toby tries to turn himself into a super-swimmer, with disastrous results. This is a mildly amusing episode mainly notable for being one of those where it's Toby who's being selfish and irresponsible, and points up what a hypocrite he can be given the number of times he's lectured Elizabeth for using her abilities for personal gain. I must admit, I don't get Toby sometimes. He's constantly making a fool of himself over these thoroughly bland bimbettes, when he's got a gorgeous girl who's nuts about him who he won't give the time of day. Sure, she's a bit crazy, but so what? Elizabeth's not wrong about how much fun they could have together, and she's a damn sight more interesting than these vanilla chicks he goes for.
Weirdo.
Old 12th July 2020, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dempsey and Makepeace.

A New York detective Dempsey is transferred to a special unit in London and deal with the underworld teamed with female detective Makepeace and are always bickering.

This was always fun to watch in the younger days and thought there was more episodes but at 30 episodes can't complain, Micheal Brandon and Glynis Barber play the bickering two working under Spikings played by Ray Smith who doesn't appreciate the drop on him with a American but eventually settles. This was great to re-live classic British T.V. again.

MV5BNTIyMmFhZTAtOGUzYi00Mzg2LWE5ZTItMjI3ODk1NGQ3ZDQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTc3MjY3NTY@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th July 2020, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Penny Dreadful
I'd seen the first two seasons of this before and thought they were great but never got around to watching the third season. After buying the three Blu-ray releases, I watched them very quickly and by earlier opinion was confirmed. This is a a brilliant TV show, worn with excellent production values, superb writing and direction, and a fantastic cast. If Gothic fiction is your thing then you should love this.

Penny Dreadful: City of Angels
Bizarrely, this doesn't have anything to do with the previous Penny Dreadful series and not much in the way of horror or the supernatural. It is interesting for the reminder of how widespread pro-Nazi sympathies were in the US during the late 1930s and the extent institutionalised antisemitism (something really well explored in the film Gentleman's Agreement).

I hope there is a second season because there are character and narrative arcs which need further development and exploration to be fully fleshed out and not leaving the feeling cheated.

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez
As a New England Patriots fan, I followed the rise and fall of Aaron Hernandez very closely and found this three-part documentary series extremely interesting. It's done in such a way which should appeal to people without much (if any) interest in American football as it concentrates on one player and his short life. No one should feel lost about the workings of the NFL because all aspects of football are pretty well explained, making this more of a character study than a sports documentary.

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich
Like Killer inside, this is a Netflix original documentary series and the four episodes told me a lot about Jeffrey Epstein which I didn't know and I now feel more able to engage in the news about Ghislaine Maxwell and her upcoming trial. It's a tough documentary because of its subject material and one which makes you realise how easy was/is for sexual predators to hide in plain sight.

Like this? Share it using the links below!