Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13830Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2020, 09:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Wicked Science: Fever. When Elizabeth catches a cold, the virus not only has a bizarre impact on her genius "flashes" but also begins to accelerate at a dangerous rate - and Toby is forced into a desperate race against time to save the life of his best frenemy. This is a really good episode, with some genuine high emotion and great character stuff for both leads. It's interesting that the episode again brings up the "flashes=compulsion" notion that Toby brought up toward the end of last season, here amusingly forcing Elizabeth to do nice things for people even though she doesn't really want to. More interesting is Toby's suggestion that it's just tapping into a side of her she's repressed, and specifically bringing up what she was like pre-accident. Elizabeth dismisses her former persona as "weak", but Toby insists not everyone thought that. It's a pretty creepy idea that what's happened to them has actually affected their personalities, and while Toby implying that he liked her shy, introverted pre-genius self is a nice sentiment, you can't help but think "well maybe you should have acted like that then!" Elizabeth's complete faith and trust in Toby's ability and willingness to save her is quite sweet, if unsurprising, but Toby continues to baffle me. Like the season 1 episode where he acted to save her from expulsion, this episode again indicates that his feelings for her run deeper than he wants to admit, but why? The notion that he liked her pre-genius makes his attitude to her even weirder. The episode ends with Elizabeth clearly crushing on him harder than ever after he literally saves her life, and clearly unconvinced by his attempt to brush it off as "oh, I'd have done it for anyone!" Oh and there's a touching and funny bit between Elizabeth and Verity, where the sick Elizabeth starts to tell her how much she values her friendship, only to be interrupted, and then later denies remembering the conversation when Verity tries to bring it up after she's cured!

This is a great episode.
Old 20th July 2020, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished the final season of Star Trek Enterprise which for me was easily the best season. Shame we didn't get a fifth which was going to deal with the Romulan war.

Now watching.

Old 20th July 2020, 09:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Finished season 1 of Secret Army. Terrific finale - great episode title, too - Be the First Kid on Your Block To Rule the World - as British agent Curtis's cover is blown and the Nazis lock down Brussels as he desperately tries to get out. Tense stuff.
Old 20th July 2020, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Finished the final season of Star Trek Enterprise which for me was easily the best season. Shame we didn't get a fifth which was going to deal with the Romulan war.

Now watching.

How does call of duty hold up?, i remember this being on late night for quite a while, and i probably watched quite a few episodes, but all i can remember is the classic theme tune. I'm pretty sure i would tune into the song then turn the channel over generally.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

seanrsslistalcomsharpe.jpg
SHARPE'S SIEGE (1996)

1813. Sharpe is sent to take over a castle and is under the command of an inexperienced Colonel who at first tries to take the castle without rifleman support with terrible results.
Back at camp, Sharpe's new wife Jane has a life threatening virus and without the drug Quinine she will die..
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 226343
SHARPE'S SIEGE (1996)

1813. Sharpe is sent to take over a castle and is under the command of an inexperienced Colonel who at first tries to take the castle without rifleman support with terrible results.
Back at camp, Sharpe's new wife Jane has a life threatening virus and without the drug Quinine she will die..
I'm rewatching Sharpe too, Dave.

Not every day but one maybe two a week. The last one i saw was Sharpe's Sword which co-starred James Purefoy and Emily Mortimer. A cracking episode which had Sharpe close to death before he rallied and led the South Essex on an assault on a French held fort.
trebor8273 and Dave Boy like this.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Nice one Dem

Four episodes to go for me now as I will finish at Sharpe's Waterloo.
I'm not bothered about the India episodes.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just started on The Tick. Remember loving the cartoon so had to give the live action a go. Decent so far. I think they did the right thing by making each episode about 22 minutes long.
Graveyard and bleakshaun like this.
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Just started on The Tick. Remember loving the cartoon so had to give the live action a go. Decent so far. I think they did the right thing by making each episode about 22 minutes long.
I really liked the series – it's one I could quite happily rewatch.
Deadite likes this.
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched the first four episodes of CREEPSHOW.
Very enjoyable.
Hopefully a season 2?
bleakshaun likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!